30 Jan 2004 22:17:54
BBKing
Why do the Lakers freeze out Shaq?

This is a serious question, not a troll. We just finished
watching the wolves-lakers game, and are again amazed by
how the lakers have long stretches where Shaq doesn't touch
the ball. Why is that? The wolves really don't have anyone
that can match up with Shaq, and so the lakers should be going
inside to Shaq every time down the floor. Yet, during the stretch
that the wolves erased a 10 point defecit, I don't think Shaq
touched the ball once until the lead was erased.

Does anyone have insight here? What's the strategy in keeping
the ball out of the most dominant player in the game, especially
against a team with subpar centers?

-BB

31 Jan 2004 00:57:03
levi
Re: Why do the Lakers freeze out Shaq?

In article <a44bd487.0401302217.7c106d56@posting.google.com >,
i_am_bbking@yahoo.com (BBKing) wrote:

> This is a serious question, not a troll. We just finished
> watching the wolves-lakers game, and are again amazed by
> how the lakers have long stretches where Shaq doesn't touch
> the ball. Why is that? The wolves really don't have anyone
> that can match up with Shaq, and so the lakers should be going
> inside to Shaq every time down the floor. Yet, during the stretch
> that the wolves erased a 10 point defecit, I don't think Shaq
> touched the ball once until the lead was erased.
>
> Does anyone have insight here? What's the strategy in keeping
> the ball out of the most dominant player in the game, especially
> against a team with subpar centers?

Dunno, BB. Maybe the (replacement) Lakers were in shock that those
"lowly" TWolves could actually come back and pass them, and so forgot
their best weapon. I did think EJ and Ollie did a real credible job
at not backing down, trying to deny Shaq his spots, rebounds, and the
ball - but that's grist for another thread.

Maybe they're jealous of Shaq's golf cart ride from the parking lot(!).

You look at the Lakers right now, especially tonight, and I don't see
the big time clutch guys, notably Kobe, who are "steeped" in the Laker
traditon and "know" what really brings a "W". Shaq, obviously. Fischer
maybe. Fox...??? Who am I forgetting?

31 Jan 2004 21:49:12
Aeropo864

"BBKing" <i_am_bbking@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> This is a serious question, not a troll. We just finished
> watching the wolves-lakers game, and are again amazed by
> how the lakers have long stretches where Shaq doesn't touch
> the ball. Why is that? The wolves really don't have anyone
> that can match up with Shaq, and so the lakers should be going
> inside to Shaq every time down the floor. Yet, during the stretch
> that the wolves erased a 10 point defecit, I don't think Shaq
> touched the ball once until the lead was erased.
>
> Does anyone have insight here? What's the strategy in keeping
> the ball out of the most dominant player in the game, especially
> against a team with subpar centers?

Gary Payton is overated. I could get 10 assists a game just passing to Shaq
in the paint.

Now I'll wait for the no you couldn't, otherwise you'd be playing for the
Lakers right now posts.

> -BB

31 Jan 2004 17:00:45
Don Tiberone

Aeropo864 <dwf4life@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> "BBKing" <i_am_bbking@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > This is a serious question, not a troll. We just finished
> > watching the wolves-lakers game, and are again amazed by
> > how the lakers have long stretches where Shaq doesn't touch
> > the ball. Why is that? The wolves really don't have anyone
> > that can match up with Shaq, and so the lakers should be going
> > inside to Shaq every time down the floor. Yet, during the stretch
> > that the wolves erased a 10 point defecit, I don't think Shaq
> > touched the ball once until the lead was erased.
> >
> > Does anyone have insight here? What's the strategy in keeping
> > the ball out of the most dominant player in the game, especially
> > against a team with subpar centers?
>
> Gary Payton is overated. I could get 10 assists a game just passing to
Shaq
> in the paint.
>
> Now I'll wait for the no you couldn't, otherwise you'd be playing for the
> Lakers right now posts.

Nobody has ever averaged 10 assists playing with Shaq. Kobe, Van Exel, and
Payton all averaged more assists playing without him.

04 Feb 2004 10:19:37
Lee Watkins
Re: Why do the Lakers freeze out Shaq?

the lakers have had this exact same problem for years. its just that this
year, with all the injuries, the supporting cast isn't as good and aren't
hitting thier shots.

lee