07 Jan 2005 20:33:59
s_knight8
Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYw
N0aA--?slug=ap-raptors-carter&prov=ap&type=lgns

TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after
hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the
Toronto Raptors.

In an interview broadcast Thursday on TNT, network analyst John Thompson
asked Carter if he pushed himself as hard as he should have in Toronto.

``In years past, no,'' said Carter, acquired by the New Jersey Nets on Dec
17. ``I was fortunate to have the talent ... you get spoiled when you're
able to do a lot of things. You see that you don't have to work at it.

``Now, with the all the injuries, I have to work harder. I'm a little
hungrier. Getting a fresh start has made me want to attack the basket.''

Many have questioned Carter's dedication, his commitment to offseason
conditioning and his desire to improve, but some where were surprised to
hear Carter acknowledge it.

``It's a reflection on him and his character,'' Raptors guard Rafer Alston
said. ``Is he a guy that you can go to war with night in and night out?
That's what a lot of people are going to be questioning.''

Alston also suggested that Carter cost the Raptors games with his lack of
effort.

``It hurts,'' Alston said. ``I don't know if a player who is considered an
All-Star and has so many fan votes going into All-Star week wants to have
that on his rap sheet.''

Toronto guard Morris Peterson was shocked when he watched the interview on
television.

``It caught me off guard, being a professional player that's something I
always pride myself on,'' Peterson said. ``I can sleep better at night
knowing I give it everything I can.''

``You could tell he wasn't playing his best,'' Peterson said.

Toronto coach Sam Mitchell didn't want to talk about Carter.

``That's between Vince and his conscience,'' Mitchell said.

07 Jan 2005 19:22:28
agakhan
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

On 07 Jan 2005 20:33:59 EST, "s_knight8" wrote:

>TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after
>hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the
>Toronto Raptors.

i find this disgusting. toronto is lucky to be rid of him.

07 Jan 2005 23:26:36
Alson Wong

"agakhan" <agakhan@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> On 07 Jan 2005 20:33:59 EST, "s_knight8" wrote:
>
>>TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after
>>hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the
>>Toronto Raptors.
>
> i find this disgusting. toronto is lucky to be rid of him.

"Company time"

08 Jan 2005 01:15:45
Sports Fan
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

In article <dXLDd.4022$pt6.2095@fe04.lga >
"Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k > wrote:

>"agakhan" <agakhan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 07 Jan 2005 20:33:59 EST, "s_knight8" wrote:
>>
>>>TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after
>>>hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the
>>>Toronto Raptors.
>>
>> i find this disgusting. toronto is lucky to be rid of him.
>
>"Company time"

No wonder they like each other.

08 Jan 2005 09:20:19
Chris Zabel
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

Of all the major pro sports, the so called "analysts" on TV covering the NBA
are clearly the worst. I was shocked to see both Greg Anthony and Stephen
Smith basically defend Vince Carter about this point. Tim Legler was the
only one who really stood up and called it like it was. The ESPN NBA
analysts are clearly too chummy with the players in the league, defending
virtually every bad behavior the players commit, for fear of losing "access"
to the players.
I still remember their reaction right after the brawl where they tried to
shift blame away from Artest and O'Neal immediately until public reaction
became so overwhelming they decided to go along with popular opinion of the
brawl. I suspect David Stern has a little something to do with the "dumbing
down" of NBA analysis as well with the analysts being little more than hype
men or promotional tools for the NBA corporate machine.

--
"They tease me now, telling me it was only a dream. But does it matter
whether it was a dream or reality, if the dream made known to me the

08 Jan 2005 07:57:59
LucasWhiteLifetimeLakersFan!
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

I would agree that ESPN's NBA Analysts are terrible (including Legler,
who is the fool of all fools). However, the worst analysts are easily
NFL football analysts in my opinion. I LOVE NFL football, but there
are some jerks on every channel. The only ones I like are the Sunday
night crew on ESPN (although I hate their pregame team) and the Fox
pregame/halftime show crew (although I hate their game announcers). In
general, ABC/ESPN=foolishness.

By the way, I wonder if Laker hater Tim Legler still thinks the Kings
are going to win that series. :)

08 Jan 2005 13:26:15
aharcus@msn.com
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

David Stern should condemn Carter publicly. I love Sam I Am, and am
happy he rid his team of this cancer.
NBA basketball is my favorite sport because I believe it's the hardest
sport, that demands the most out of it's players physically, and
demands they play at an indredible pace, while keeping their heads
about them.

It is the ultimate team sport, and when one of it's heralded stars
admits, with apparently a clean conscience that he dogged it. That's
about as disgusting as it gets. It threatens the integrity of the
sport. Too bad college hoops has been ruined by the NBA....sigh. Oh
well.

Andy

09 Jan 2005 00:07:20
N. Silver

Andy wrote:

> Too bad college hoops has been ruined by the
> NBA....sigh. Oh well.

The NBA saved college hoops.
We continue to have fixing-games
scandals in every generation,
because college basketball programs
recruit impoverished athletes to be
underpaid mercenaries.

10 Jan 2005 00:53:45
Kenneth DeMonn
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:26:36 -0800, "Alson Wong"
<rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k > wrote:

>"agakhan" <agakhan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 07 Jan 2005 20:33:59 EST, "s_knight8" wrote:

>>>TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after
>>>hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the
>>>Toronto Raptors.

>> i find this disgusting. toronto is lucky to be rid of him.

>"Company time"

Even before the "company time" remark, didn't the Big Cacomistle write
that he wasn't going to give the fans their money's worth, because of
his pique at Del Harris? (My phrasing, obviously.)

Of course, Carter and O'Neal are hardly the only athletes accused of
dogging it at times. Let us not forget:

Joey: "I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work
hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even
run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the
playoffs."

Tho Murdock-Jabar denied the charge.

--
Working email address: <my first name > at <my surname> dot com.

11 Jan 2005 13:21:23
aharcus@msn.com
Re: Vince Carter admits he didn't give it his all

I read "Foul" by Connie Hawkins too. I can agree college atheletes get
exploited, and that will probably always be
the case until college players organize, but that doesn't seem likely.
Even with collective bargaining in place in pro sports there is still
exploitation going on. Poor people get exploited by the rich, that will
always be the case, only our society wants to sugar coat it.

Athletics is a what have you done for me lately
gig no matter what level you're at. I use the term ruin, in the sense
of continuity. A player comes to a program, grows
into it, with it, and if you follow that program can see it either come
to fruition, or not. The Stephon Marbury one year and
out is the norm now. It makes the whole mercenary aspect of sports
completely unavoidable, undeniable. A Minnesota case in point: Kris
Humphrey had a scholarship to Duke. He's from a middle class family. He
couldn't defer gratification, so he attended the University of
Minnesota for a year, then jumped to the NBA. He will have a family and
something to fall back on if he gets hurt.
But how cool would it have been for Duke to have him grow in their
program for 4 years. Not to mention Humphrey would have had a Duke
education, and been a High First Rounder. It made the Duke coach
contemplate going to the NBA. That tells me college basketball is not
what it was, and it is not better.

Andy