29 Jun 2003 09:54:02
s_knight8
Vescey criticizes Jim Gray

http://www.nypost.com/sports/59314.htm

June 29, 2003 -- THAT was quite a story Jim Gray "broke" on draft
night; it seems, Kobe Bryant revealed to ESPN's perpetually vigilant
correspondent he plans to opt out of his Lakers' contract at the end
of the 2003-04 season.
Of course, the "exclusive" might've had a little bit more impact had
the L.A. Daily News not divulged identical information almost two
months ago.

As usual, ESPN, in its unprincipled determination to establish itself
All Knowing, All The Time, thinks its audience is stone stupid and
believes the competition is its unattributed, primary source. As
usual, its policy-makers have no shame, no conscience and no
credibility; its guidelines to reporters are to attach the networks'
identity on other people's stories: Viewers simply won't know the
difference.

Let me guess, USA Today's "Boob of the Tube," Rudy Martzke, gave Gray
Matter a "hustle award" for his flagrant rip-off and regurgitation.

Gray, by the way, offered a list of reasons why Kobe intends to test
the free agent market - and risk roughly $100M (what if he becomes
permanently disabled while shooting one of his commercials?) by
rejecting a long-term extension.

Supposedly, Kobe's unsure what will happen to Phil Jackson (several
days ago, the L.A. Daily News reported the Laker coach is interested
in signing a 2-year extension to follow '03-04; look for Gray to
present that info as his own on ESPN some time in August), he wants to
see how the Lakers renovate their roster and he needs to know how
conditioned and motivated Shaq is next season.

While all of the above may possess some semblance of truth, they're
not remotely close to Kobe's overriding factor for opting out: He has
an almost fiendish craving to adopt his very own team and prove he can
win a championship flying solo - without sharing the ball, or the
glory with Shaq or any other celebrated franchise player.

As for Gray Matter's other exclusive - that Jason Kidd has narrowed
his choices to the Nets, Spurs, Mavericks and Nuggets - didn't he
think that disclosure was a little odd considering everything we've
been repeatedly told before? How many times has Kidd insisted money
isn't an issue, he only wants to play where he can win it all?

Of course, if Kidd signs with the Nuggets, I guess "win it all" could
mean the lottery.

Evidently, this business of breaking stories isn't all that easy when
you actually have to think them through by yourself.

29 Jun 2003 18:06:37
Gary Collard
Re: Vescey criticizes Jim Gray

s_knight8 wrote:

> http://www.nypost.com/sports/59314.htm
>
> Evidently, this business of breaking stories isn't all that easy when
> you actually have to think them through by yourself.

Vescey's just mad that there is somebody out there with even less cred than
he has.

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator

"I don't need Bush's tax cut. I have never worked a f***ing day
in my life." -- Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D, Rhode Island)

29 Jun 2003 18:34:00
TenKMan

"Gary Collard" <garycollard@netscape.net > wrote in message
> s_knight8 wrote:
>
> Vescey's just mad that there is somebody out there with even less cred
than
> he has.

Wrong. Nobody has less credibility than Vescey.

> --
> Gary Collard
> SABR-L Moderator
> collardg@earthlink.net
>
> "I don't need Bush's tax cut. I have never worked a f***ing day
> in my life." -- Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D, Rhode Island)

30 Jun 2003 15:44:49
Re: Vescey criticizes Jim Gray

Well, Vescey just wants everyone to do what Post writers do: if someone
else has printed something that's true, just make up your own story that
contradicts it. Don't bother checking facts, type it anyway.

One thing I was happy about when ESPN got the draft was no Vescey. OK, I
hadn't counted on Gray (whom I not fond of, either), and damn did we miss
Sir Charles this year. Accurate or not, he's always fun.

Ken S.

"s_knight8" <s_knight8@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> http://www.nypost.com/sports/59314.htm
>
> June 29, 2003 -- THAT was quite a story Jim Gray "broke" on draft
> night; it seems, Kobe Bryant revealed to ESPN's perpetually vigilant
> correspondent he plans to opt out of his Lakers' contract at the end
> of the 2003-04 season.
> Of course, the "exclusive" might've had a little bit more impact had
> the L.A. Daily News not divulged identical information almost two
> months ago.
>
> As usual, ESPN, in its unprincipled determination to establish itself
> All Knowing, All The Time, thinks its audience is stone stupid and
> believes the competition is its unattributed, primary source. As
> usual, its policy-makers have no shame, no conscience and no
> credibility; its guidelines to reporters are to attach the networks'
> identity on other people's stories: Viewers simply won't know the
> difference.
>
> Let me guess, USA Today's "Boob of the Tube," Rudy Martzke, gave Gray
> Matter a "hustle award" for his flagrant rip-off and regurgitation.
>
> Gray, by the way, offered a list of reasons why Kobe intends to test
> the free agent market - and risk roughly $100M (what if he becomes
> permanently disabled while shooting one of his commercials?) by
> rejecting a long-term extension.
>
> Supposedly, Kobe's unsure what will happen to Phil Jackson (several
> days ago, the L.A. Daily News reported the Laker coach is interested
> in signing a 2-year extension to follow '03-04; look for Gray to
> present that info as his own on ESPN some time in August), he wants to
> see how the Lakers renovate their roster and he needs to know how
> conditioned and motivated Shaq is next season.
>
> While all of the above may possess some semblance of truth, they're
> not remotely close to Kobe's overriding factor for opting out: He has
> an almost fiendish craving to adopt his very own team and prove he can
> win a championship flying solo - without sharing the ball, or the
> glory with Shaq or any other celebrated franchise player.
>
> As for Gray Matter's other exclusive - that Jason Kidd has narrowed
> his choices to the Nets, Spurs, Mavericks and Nuggets - didn't he
> think that disclosure was a little odd considering everything we've
> been repeatedly told before? How many times has Kidd insisted money
> isn't an issue, he only wants to play where he can win it all?
>
> Of course, if Kidd signs with the Nuggets, I guess "win it all" could
> mean the lottery.
>
> Evidently, this business of breaking stories isn't all that easy when
> you actually have to think them through by yourself.

30 Jun 2003 15:40:11
topcat

<ken_scudder@mindspring.com > wrote in message
> Well, Vescey just wants everyone to do what Post writers do: if someone
> else has printed something that's true, just make up your own story that
> contradicts it. Don't bother checking facts, type it anyway.
>
> One thing I was happy about when ESPN got the draft was no Vescey. OK, I
> hadn't counted on Gray (whom I not fond of, either), and damn did we miss
> Sir Charles this year. Accurate or not, he's always fun.

You're on the money with Sir Charles. He's very amusing

There are getting to be more people associated with the networks that do
basketball that I don't like than people I do like.

Don't like: Walton or Gray about the same amount.

Can't stand: Tolbert

Can tolerate: Vescey. As long as you don't take his information too
seriously, he's okay. He's very good with the nicknames. "Easy" Mark Cuban,
Aff-air Jordan, Jail Blazers, etc, etc..

TC

30 Jun 2003 21:43:16
Isaac

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:40:11 -0400, topcat <topcat@aboy.com > wrote:

><ken_scudder@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Well, Vescey just wants everyone to do what Post writers do: if someone
>> else has printed something that's true, just make up your own story that
>> contradicts it. Don't bother checking facts, type it anyway.
>>
>> One thing I was happy about when ESPN got the draft was no Vescey. OK, I
>> hadn't counted on Gray (whom I not fond of, either), and damn did we miss
>> Sir Charles this year. Accurate or not, he's always fun.
>>

> You're on the money with Sir Charles. He's very amusing
>
> There are getting to be more people associated with the networks that do
> basketball that I don't like than people I do like.
>
> Don't like: Walton or Gray about the same amount.
>
> Can't stand: Tolbert
>
> Can tolerate: Vescey. As long as you don't take his information too
> seriously, he's okay. He's very good with the nicknames. "Easy" Mark Cuban,
> Aff-air Jordan, Jail Blazers, etc, etc..

I just can't stand Vecsey. At least Walton is an idiot who knows he isn't
being taken seriously, and who is occasionally funny. Vecsey is like
Alex Trebec but with wrong answers on all of his index cards. Smug, wrong,
and completely unlikeable.

Isaac

01 Jul 2003 10:00:28
Re: Vescey criticizes Jim Gray

> Vecsey is like
> Alex Trebec but with wrong answers on all of his index cards. Smug,
wrong,
> and completely unlikeable.
>
> Isaac

This is my favorite quote of the day. Thank you for writing it.