23 Jun 2005 10:13:14
s_knight8
Richardson traded to the Knicks

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
_dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/

RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin Richardson
will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league approval
and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.

The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the trade negotiations.

23 Jun 2005 15:46:20
Glenn Greenstein
Re: Richardson traded to the Knicks

"s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
> _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
>
> RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
> Richardson
> will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
> conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league approval
> and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.
>
> The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the trade
> negotiations.

I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The fact
that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect a whole lot
and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender. Please tell me he has
an expiring contract.

23 Jun 2005 09:09:03
mr. gone

Glenn Greenstein wrote:
> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
> > _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
> >
> > RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
> > Richardson
> > will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
> > conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league approval
> > and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.
> >
> > The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the trade
> > negotiations.
> >

> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The fact
> that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect a whole lot
> and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender. Please tell me he has
> an expiring contract.

he's talented, a great outside shooter (at or near the top of the
league in three-pointers made), and can slash to the basket as well,
though his fg% was an alarming .389 this year year (and .398 the year
before), possibly from attempting 1670 3-pointers at a 35% clip. he's
not a great defender, however, and the knicks just got smaller (again)
with no meaningful interior presence. talentwise, zeke got a very good
player - perhaps an all-star someday, in the right system. just not
sure he fits in with the knicks' needs - nor do i know where he'll get
minutes, unless they intend to bench tim thomas or move him to pf,
since supposedly crawford and marbury are entrenched in the backcourt.
and since he signed as a fa from the clippers last year, he's got a
longish contract, but unlike most knick contracts, he's probably
actually close to worth it. by the way, the pick goes to phoenix, not
ny.

as for the suns, they got a pick out of this which could be worth
something as the knicks continue to amass ill-fitting pieces with long
contracts. thomas will add some nice toughness to the team, but i'm not
sure he'll be able to run with the rest of the team for more than 15-20
minutes per game at this stage. those minutes could be incredibly
productive, however, as a backup 4-5, if he does get out and run.
whether they choose to retain him beyond this season is anyone's guess,
but he'll be useful (but not a worldbeater) in phoenix this season.

23 Jun 2005 10:21:25
drg

Glenn Greenstein wrote:
> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
> > _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
> >
> > RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
> > Richardson
> > will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
> > conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league approval
> > and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.
> >
> > The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the trade
> > negotiations.
> >

> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The fact
> that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect a whole lot
> and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender. Please tell me he has
> an expiring contract.

Nope, he just finished the first year of a six year deal that pays an
average of $7M per year:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=22&year=2004-05

And if you really want to torture yourself, here is the Knicks payroll
from last year:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=19&year=2004-05

23 Jun 2005 10:39:31
jW
Re: Richardson traded to the Knicks

knicks got burned
"mr. gone" <mr_gone78@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> Glenn Greenstein wrote:
>> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
>> > _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
>> >
>> > RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
>> > Richardson
>> > will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
>> > conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league
>> > approval
>> > and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.
>> >
>> > The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the trade
>> > negotiations.
>> >

>> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The fact
>> that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect a whole
>> lot
>> and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender. Please tell me he
>> has
>> an expiring contract.
>
> he's talented, a great outside shooter (at or near the top of the
> league in three-pointers made), and can slash to the basket as well,
> though his fg% was an alarming .389 this year year (and .398 the year
> before), possibly from attempting 1670 3-pointers at a 35% clip. he's
> not a great defender, however, and the knicks just got smaller (again)
> with no meaningful interior presence. talentwise, zeke got a very good
> player - perhaps an all-star someday, in the right system. just not
> sure he fits in with the knicks' needs - nor do i know where he'll get
> minutes, unless they intend to bench tim thomas or move him to pf,
> since supposedly crawford and marbury are entrenched in the backcourt.
> and since he signed as a fa from the clippers last year, he's got a
> longish contract, but unlike most knick contracts, he's probably
> actually close to worth it. by the way, the pick goes to phoenix, not
> ny.
>
> as for the suns, they got a pick out of this which could be worth
> something as the knicks continue to amass ill-fitting pieces with long
> contracts. thomas will add some nice toughness to the team, but i'm not
> sure he'll be able to run with the rest of the team for more than 15-20
> minutes per game at this stage. those minutes could be incredibly
> productive, however, as a backup 4-5, if he does get out and run.
> whether they choose to retain him beyond this season is anyone's guess,
> but he'll be useful (but not a worldbeater) in phoenix this season.

23 Jun 2005 12:25:44
GC
Re: Richardson traded to the Knicks

Chad Ford on ESPN.com said that this was a good deal for both teams. I
don't see how this is a good fit for the Knicks. Sure, Q is more
talented than Kurt, but does he really fit into a plan? The only way I
see this trade making sense is if it leads to another deal. Q, Steph or
Craw go elsewhere. Otherwise it seems like we have 3 shooting guards,
no point guard and 18 undersized power forwards.

Phoenix did well with this trade because now they get a decent banger
who can play pick and roll with nash and relieve amare from guarding
centers all the time. kurt won't be able to run with them, but he isn't
going there to score anyway.

PLUS, they get a pick...which will be a good one because the knicks
will undoubtedly stink again this year. the pick is conditional so
hopefully ewe stink bad enough to keep it and get a great talent next
year.

with isiah's track record we'll end up "solving" our need for size by
giving up Q, Sweeney and 2 first round picks for dale davis.

go new york, go new york go!!!!

I can't wait til training camp!!

GC

23 Jun 2005 12:59:04
drg

GC wrote:
> Chad Ford on ESPN.com said that this was a good deal for both teams. I
> don't see how this is a good fit for the Knicks. Sure, Q is more
> talented than Kurt, but does he really fit into a plan? The only way I
> see this trade making sense is if it leads to another deal. Q, Steph or
> Craw go elsewhere. Otherwise it seems like we have 3 shooting guards,
> no point guard and 18 undersized power forwards.
>
> Phoenix did well with this trade because now they get a decent banger
> who can play pick and roll with nash and relieve amare from guarding
> centers all the time. kurt won't be able to run with them, but he isn't
> going there to score anyway.
>
> PLUS, they get a pick...which will be a good one because the knicks
> will undoubtedly stink again this year. the pick is conditional so
> hopefully ewe stink bad enough to keep it and get a great talent next
> year.
>
> with isiah's track record we'll end up "solving" our need for size by
> giving up Q, Sweeney and 2 first round picks for dale davis.
>
> go new york, go new york go!!!!
>
> I can't wait til training camp!!
>
> GC

Chad Ford is an idiot.

23 Jun 2005 16:07:16
Dan Gaters
Re: Richardson traded to the Knicks

GC:

> Sure, Q is more talented than Kurt, but does he really fit into a plan?

Plan? What PLAN???

---
Dan

23 Jun 2005 17:29:18
dwjones45

Glenn Greenstein wrote:
> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
>> _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
>>
>> RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
>> Richardson
>> will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
>> conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league
>> approval and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals
>> on Thursday. The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the
>> trade
>> negotiations.
>>

> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The
> fact that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect
> a whole lot and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender.
> Please tell me he has an expiring contract.
this trade proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that isiah thomas has to be by
far the worst gm in the nba. this is simply a horrible deal. this team needs
size. they do not need another 3 point shooter who can not play any defense
or rebound. this team is going to be a horror show next season with the
likes of richardson, marbury and crawford as they put up about 40 3's per
game

23 Jun 2005 15:06:35
Purple And Gold
Re: Richardson traded to the Knicks

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:29:18 -0400, "dwjones45" <dwjones45@comcast.net >
wrote:

>Glenn Greenstein wrote:
>> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
>>> _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
>>>
>>> RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
>>> Richardson
>>> will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
>>> conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league
>>> approval and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals
>>> on Thursday. The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the
>>> trade
>>> negotiations.
>>>

>> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The
>> fact that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect
>> a whole lot and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender.
>> Please tell me he has an expiring contract.
>this trade proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that isiah thomas has to be by
>far the worst gm in the nba. this is simply a horrible deal. this team needs
>size. they do not need another 3 point shooter who can not play any defense
>or rebound. this team is going to be a horror show next season with the
>likes of richardson, marbury and crawford as they put up about 40 3's per
>game

Not to mention that Richardson is your worst nightmare if you want to
have a running team.
He kills the fast break, just like, Atkins, Billups, Maggette and others
who have similar styles.

24 Jun 2005 12:44:38

"dwjones45" <dwjones45@comcast.net > wrote in message
> Glenn Greenstein wrote:
>> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/quentin_richardson
>>> _dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/
>>>
>>> RealGM - RealGM.com's Christopher Reina has learned that Quentin
>>> Richardson
>>> will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future
>>> conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league
>>> approval and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals
>>> on Thursday. The deal was confirmed to Reina by a source close to the
>>> trade
>>> negotiations.
>>>

>> I don't know anything about Richardson. Can someone fill me in. The
>> fact that they included a first with him tells me I shouldn't expect
>> a whole lot and Zeek has finally dealt our last decent defender.
>> Please tell me he has an expiring contract.
> this trade proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that isiah thomas has to be
> by far the worst gm in the nba. this is simply a horrible deal. this team
> needs size. they do not need another 3 point shooter who can not play any
> defense or rebound. this team is going to be a horror show next season
> with the likes of richardson, marbury and crawford as they put up about 40
> 3's per game

All we need now is Don Nelson to coach.