27 Jun 2003 16:36:06
s_knight8
Milicic has his dark side

http://www.detnews.com/2003/pistons/0306/27/c02-204346.htm

A couple of years ago, Dumars wanted to bring in Philadelphia guard Allen
Iverson, rap CD and all. He is not afraid to bring in a guy with a Dennis
Rodman-like personality if he has Tracy McGrady-like talent.

Dumars' time may have come. Darko Milicic is not a thug. But he is an
18-year-old Eastern European who is about to enjoy American riches. He
already gushed in ESPN The Magazine about how NBA players can have any woman
they want.

Reports indicate that he was disliked by teammates, and he is coming over
from Eastern Europe with a superstar attitude that might need to be checked
at the door.

27 Jun 2003 22:53:35
TerryO
Re: Milicic has his dark side

It's likely this will change after the first practice and he gets his
attitude adjusted by another 7-footer with a mean pick or block.

On the other hand if the talent "is" there to back it up... then he'll be
just another athlete with an ego. Like we haven't seen that before. However
my guess is the awakening will come and the attitude will sit on the bench
for a while.

"s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> http://www.detnews.com/2003/pistons/0306/27/c02-204346.htm
>

> Reports indicate that he was disliked by teammates, and he is coming over
> from Eastern Europe with a superstar attitude that might need to be
checked
> at the door.

27 Jun 2003 19:10:47
Dan Barch
Re: Milicic has his dark side

"s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<bdhrpm$2cr@dispatch.concentric.net>...
> http://www.detnews.com/2003/pistons/0306/27/c02-204346.htm
>
> A couple of years ago, Dumars wanted to bring in Philadelphia guard Allen
> Iverson, rap CD and all. He is not afraid to bring in a guy with a Dennis
> Rodman-like personality if he has Tracy McGrady-like talent.
>
> Dumars' time may have come. Darko Milicic is not a thug. But he is an
> 18-year-old Eastern European who is about to enjoy American riches. He
> already gushed in ESPN The Magazine about how NBA players can have any woman
> they want.
>
> Reports indicate that he was disliked by teammates, and he is coming over
> from Eastern Europe with a superstar attitude that might need to be checked
> at the door.

The only "superstar attitude" is that from the author, Terry Foster.
Like a number of columnists these days, he feels it is easier to
invent something than to actually do research or journalism. Reports
from people who actually went to see Milicic play in his league and
spoke with him got the impression he is a fine kid. The teammates
didn't like him because he is so good compared to them, that the type
of scouts who came for Darko had no interest in them.

If Foster would spend more time working and less time grumbling about
why he doesn't have the big radio deal like Mitch Albom, he might
actually become someone to possibly take seriously.