29 Mar 2007 11:52:24
MB
Gasol's "Unnatural" Basketball Act

Is the league even reviewing this?

29 Mar 2007 13:13:18
brink
Re: Gasol's "Unnatural" Basketball Act

"MB" <kyg@al.com > wrote in message news:zVTOh.7759$1W5.2873@newsfe02.lga...
> Is the league even reviewing this?

I'm expecting someone to pipe up with that HL Mencken quote any moment now.

brink

29 Mar 2007 13:38:57
Brian Tung

MB wrote:
> Is the league even reviewing this?

Is there a video link for this?

--
Brian Tung <brian@isi.edu >
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

29 Mar 2007 22:05:16
VicXnews

brian@isi.edu (Brian Tung) wrote in news:euhblh$al6$1@praesepe.isi.edu:

> MB wrote:
>> Is the league even reviewing this?
>
> Is there a video link for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk

29 Mar 2007 14:33:19
Brian Tung

VicXnews wrote:
> > Is there a video link for this?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk

In all honesty, it doesn't look as unnatural as Kobe's follow-through on
the two suspensions. Gasol isn't even trying to draw a foul, he's just
trying to fend Kobe off. Since I didn't think Kobe should have drawn a
suspension on his fouls, I certainly don't think Gasol should draw one,
either--especially just to preserve a foolish consistency. Maybe an F1
retro call.

--
Brian Tung <brian@isi.edu >
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

29 Mar 2007 16:35:00
MB

Brian Tung wrote:
> VicXnews wrote:
>
>>>Is there a video link for this?
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk
>

> In all honesty, it doesn't look as unnatural as Kobe's follow-through on
> the two suspensions. Gasol isn't even trying to draw a foul, he's just
> trying to fend Kobe off. Since I didn't think Kobe should have drawn a
> suspension on his fouls, I certainly don't think Gasol should draw one,
> either--especially just to preserve a foolish consistency. Maybe an F1
> retro call.

I felt Kobe was simply trying to fend off the opponent in pursuit of the loose
ball, too.

29 Mar 2007 17:12:56

"Brian Tung" <brian@isi.edu > wrote in message
> VicXnews wrote:
>> > Is there a video link for this?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk
>
> In all honesty, it doesn't look as unnatural as Kobe's follow-through on
> the two suspensions. Gasol isn't even trying to draw a foul, he's just
> trying to fend Kobe off. Since I didn't think Kobe should have drawn a
> suspension on his fouls, I certainly don't think Gasol should draw one,
> either--especially just to preserve a foolish consistency. Maybe an F1
> retro call.

The point isn't that Gasol should be suspended; it's that Kobe should not
have been. Looks every bit as "unnatural" to me as Kobe's motion, and
frankly a bit more painful.

This is what the NBA gets for being such goobers though.

brink

29 Mar 2007 16:35:20
Brian Tung

brink wrote:
> The point isn't that Gasol should be suspended; it's that Kobe should not
> have been.

Of course, I agree, as has been my position all along. However, Gary
suggested that Gasol should be suspended, lest the NBA appear
inconsistent. Personally, I'd rather they learn from their mistakes
than strive for an unreasonable and silly consistency.

> Looks every bit as "unnatural" to me as Kobe's motion... [snip]

I disagree on that point, but as far as a sanction is concerned, I don't
think it's a material disagreement.

--
Brian Tung <brian@isi.edu >
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

29 Mar 2007 21:22:16
MB

brink wrote:
> "Brian Tung" <brian@isi.edu> wrote in message

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk
>>
>>In all honesty, it doesn't look as unnatural as Kobe's follow-through on
>>the two suspensions. Gasol isn't even trying to draw a foul, he's just
>>trying to fend Kobe off. Since I didn't think Kobe should have drawn a
>>suspension on his fouls, I certainly don't think Gasol should draw one,
>>either--especially just to preserve a foolish consistency. Maybe an F1
>>retro call.
>

> The point isn't that Gasol should be suspended; it's that Kobe should not
> have been. Looks every bit as "unnatural" to me as Kobe's motion, and
> frankly a bit more painful.
>
> This is what the NBA gets for being such goobers though.

By not even calling attention to any of these other incidents, what's most
"unnatural" in the big picture is the league's selective justice.

29 Mar 2007 21:24:44
MB

Brian Tung wrote:

> brink wrote:
>
>>The point isn't that Gasol should be suspended; it's that Kobe should not
>>have been.
>

> Of course, I agree, as has been my position all along. However, Gary
> suggested that Gasol should be suspended, lest the NBA appear
> inconsistent. Personally, I'd rather they learn from their mistakes
> than strive for an unreasonable and silly consistency.

However, instead of learning, they compounded their first mistake by doing it
again! Does anybody else doing the exact same thing (or worse, as we have seen)
merit even one suspension? Are they only assumed to have learned their lesson
when they don't enforce this precedent on anybody else?

30 Mar 2007 18:31:54
Leighton Wallis
Re: Gasol's "Unnatural" Basketball Act

"MB" <kyg@al.com > wrote in message news:zVTOh.7759$1W5.2873@newsfe02.lga...
> Is the league even reviewing this?

On a slightly different tangent, but can anyone find the vid of Ray Allan
and that other Sonic taking Kobe out a few years back? That was a shocker.

Leighton.

30 Mar 2007 23:11:00
Gary Collard

MB wrote:

> Brian Tung wrote:

> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHXS2k_sPk
> >

> > In all honesty, it doesn't look as unnatural as Kobe's follow-through on
> > the two suspensions. Gasol isn't even trying to draw a foul, he's just
> > trying to fend Kobe off. Since I didn't think Kobe should have drawn a
> > suspension on his fouls, I certainly don't think Gasol should draw one,
> > either--especially just to preserve a foolish consistency. Maybe an F1
> > retro call.
>
> I felt Kobe was simply trying to fend off the opponent in pursuit of the loose
> ball, too.

FWIW I thought all three of them (err counting two Kobes) were trying to
draw fouls.

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator

"I decided not to take my company up on that life insurance offer.
My wife has incentive enough as it is." -- Tidewater Joe

30 Mar 2007 23:14:05
Gary Collard

Brian Tung wrote:

> brink wrote:
> > The point isn't that Gasol should be suspended; it's that Kobe should not
> > have been.
>
> Of course, I agree, as has been my position all along. However, Gary
> suggested that Gasol should be suspended, lest the NBA appear
> inconsistent. Personally, I'd rather they learn from their mistakes
> than strive for an unreasonable and silly consistency.

See, this was my complaint wiht the second Kobe suspension. They did that
one purely for the sake of unreasonable and silly consistency. And I only
call for Pau to get it now because there is little question that Kobe would
continue to get it for these plays. So you must either advocate for a one
man rule or application to all players, although I agree neither is really
palatable.

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator
gmcollard@yahoo.com
http://sarcastipundit.blogspot.com/

"I decided not to take my company up on that life insurance offer.
My wife has incentive enough as it is." -- Tidewater Joe

30 Mar 2007 23:15:22
Gary Collard

Leighton Wallis wrote:

> "MB" <kyg@al.com> wrote in message news:zVTOh.7759$1W5.2873@newsfe02.lga...
> > Is the league even reviewing this?
> >

> On a slightly different tangent, but can anyone find the vid of Ray Allan
> and that other Sonic taking Kobe out a few years back? That was a shocker.

What, like for sushi?