26 Sep 2004 12:49:12
s_knight8
Eddie says the Heat are better than last year's Lakers

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2004/09/26/a1c_heat_
0926.html

MIAMI - With the addition of center Shaquille O'Neal and others, Heat guard
Eddie Jones thinks Miami has what it takes to win the NBA title.

Jones maintains he's happy with the squad Miami will field as it opens
training camp Oct. 5. And he says the talent around O'Neal this season with
the Heat is better than it was last year with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"You're coming off the bench with a lot of good players," Jones said,
mentioning center Michael Doleac, guard Damon Jones, swingman Rasual Butler,
guard Keyon Dooling and swingman Wesley Person. "I could keep going.

"(Forward Christian) Laettner, (forward) Malik Allen, come on man. Know what
I mean? I don't think the talent slacks off. (Forward) Udonis Haslem. Come
on, man."

"The Karl Malone thing is still up in the air," Heat General Manager Randy
Pfund said. "But I haven't been led to believe we're still high on his list
because we haven't had a lot of communication."

Last year's Lakers had established stars such as O'Neal, Malone and Kobe
Bryant to help propel them to the NBA Finals, where they lost to Detroit in
five games. And they had a strong supporting cast among players such as Gary
Payton, Derek Fisher, Devean George and Slava Medvedenko.

The Heat is loaded with shooters, including Eddie Jones, Damon Jones,
Butler, Person and center Wang Zhi-Zhi.

Regardless, the Heat is considered no worse than the third-best team in the
Eastern Conference, behind NBA champion Detroit and Indiana. And it's
doubtful many will pick Indiana ahead of Miami.

Eddie Jones thinks the tools are in place.

"I think we have a pretty good team," he said. "It's just getting the guys
to buy into what we're teaching. That's the key. That's the toughest part is
getting everybody to buy into what we do here and getting people to believe
that's going to work."

27 Sep 2004 14:27:36
Jeremey Wilson
Re: Eddie says the Heat are better than last year's Lakers

"s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2004/09/26/a1c_heat_
> 0926.html
>

> "You're coming off the bench with a lot of good players," Jones said,
> mentioning center Michael Doleac, guard Damon Jones, swingman Rasual Butler,
> guard Keyon Dooling and swingman Wesley Person. "I could keep going.

Guys who know how to win. Gargamel, several Washington Generals, the Brooklyn
Brawler. C'mon man. Somebody mention Christian Laettner!

> "(Forward Christian) Laettner, (forward) Malik Allen, come on man. Know what
> I mean? I don't think the talent slacks off. (Forward) Udonis Haslem. Come
> on, man."

EJ: ironist.

--
Jeremey

27 Sep 2004 11:31:36
Chris Hafner

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> "s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2004/09/26/a1c_heat_
> > 0926.html
> >

> > "You're coming off the bench with a lot of good players," Jones said,
> > mentioning center Michael Doleac, guard Damon Jones, swingman Rasual
Butler,
> > guard Keyon Dooling and swingman Wesley Person. "I could keep going.
>
> Guys who know how to win. Gargamel, several Washington Generals, the
Brooklyn
> Brawler. C'mon man. Somebody mention Christian Laettner!
>
> > "(Forward Christian) Laettner, (forward) Malik Allen, come on man. Know
what
> > I mean? I don't think the talent slacks off. (Forward) Udonis Haslem.
Come
> > on, man."
>
> EJ: ironist.

You beat me to it. Eddie Jones has a dry, dry sense of humor.

Cheers,
Chris Hafner

27 Sep 2004 15:58:31
PeterL
Re: Eddie says the Heat are better than last year's Lakers

"s_knight8" <s_knight8nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2004/09/26/a1c_heat_
> 0926.html
>
> MIAMI - With the addition of center Shaquille O'Neal and others, Heat
guard
> Eddie Jones thinks Miami has what it takes to win the NBA title.
>
> Jones maintains he's happy with the squad Miami will field as it opens
> training camp Oct. 5. And he says the talent around O'Neal this season
with
> the Heat is better than it was last year with the Los Angeles Lakers.
>
> "You're coming off the bench with a lot of good players," Jones said,
> mentioning center Michael Doleac, guard Damon Jones, swingman Rasual
Butler,
> guard Keyon Dooling and swingman Wesley Person. "I could keep going.
>
> "(Forward Christian) Laettner, (forward) Malik Allen, come on man. Know
what
> I mean? I don't think the talent slacks off. (Forward) Udonis Haslem. Come
> on, man."

Christian Laettner? Come on, man.