27 Jun 2003 08:44:14
s_knight8
Draft Grades

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1573414

After 58 picks and several trades Thursday night, ESPN Insider Chad
Ford handed out his draft-night grades:

Atlanta Hawks
Round 1: Boris Diaw, SG, France (No. 21)
Round 2: Travis Hansen, G, BYU (No. 37)
Grade: A-

Boston Celtics
Round 1: Marcus Banks, G, UNLV (No. 13)
Round 1: Kendrick Perkins, C, Ozen HS (No. 27)
Round 2: Brandon Hunter, F, Ohio (No. 56)
Deals: Acquired Banks, Perkins in trade with Memphis for Troy Bell and
Dahntay Jones
Grade: C

Chicago Bulls
Round 1: Kirk Hinrich, G, Kansas (No. 7)
Round 2: Mario Austin, F, Mississippi St. (No. 36)
Round 2: Tommy Smith, F, Arizona St. (No. 53)
Deals: Traded Matt Bonner (No. 45) to Toronto for future second-round
pick.
Grade: B-

Cleveland Cavaliers
Round 1: LeBron James, G, St. Vincent-St. Mary HS (No. 1)
Round 2: Jason Kapono, F, UCLA (No. 31)
Grade: A-

Dallas Mavericks
Round 1: Josh Howard, F, Wake Forest (No. 29)
Deals: Traded Xue Yuyang (No. 57) to Denver for future second-round
pick.
Grade: B

Denver Nuggets
Round 1: Carmelo Anthony, F, Syracuse (No. 3)
Round 2: Sani Becirovic, G, Italy (No. 46)
Deals: Acquired Xue Yuyang (No. 57) from Dallas for future
second-round pick.
Grade: A-

Detroit Pistons
Round 1: Darko Milicic, F, Serbia-Montenegro (No. 2)
Round 1: Carlos Delfino, G, Italy (No. 25)
Round 2: Andres Gliniadakis, C, Greece (No. 58)
Grade: A+

Golden State Warriors
Round 1: Mickael Pietrus, G, France (No. 11)
Round 2: Derrick Zimmerman, G, Mississippi St. (No. 40)
Grade: B-

Houston Rockets
Round 1: No pick
Round 2: Malick Badiane, F, Germany (No. 44)
Grade: B+

Indiana Pacers
Round 1: No pick
Round 2: James Jones, F, Miami (No. 49)
Grade: B

Los Angeles Clippers
Round 1: Chris Kaman, C, Central Michigan (No. 6)
Round 2: Sofoklis Schortsanitis, F, Greece (No. 34)
Grade: B

Los Angeles Lakers
Round 1: Brian Cook, F, Illinois (No. 24)
Round 2: Luke Walton, F, Arizona
Grade: A-

Memphis Grizzlies
Round 1: Troy Bell, G, Boston College (No. 16)
Round 1: Dahntay Jones, G, Duke (No. 20)
Deals: Acquired Bell and Jones from Boston for Marcus Banks and
Kendrick Perkins
Grade: C-

Miami Heat
Round 1: Dwyane Wade, G, Marquette (No. 5)
Round 2: Jerome Beasley, C, North Dakota (No. 33)
Grade: A-

Milwaukee Bucks
Round 1: T.J. Ford, G, Texas (No. 8)
Round 2: Szymon Szewczyk, F, Germany (No. 35)
Deals: Traded Keith Bogans (No. 43) to Orlando for cash considerations
Grade: C+

Minnesota Timberwolves
Round 1: Ndudi Ebi, F, Westbury Christian HS (No. 26)
Round 2: Rick Rickert, C, Minnesota (No. 55)
Grade: Incomplete

New Jersey Nets
Round 1: Zoran Planinic, G, Croatia (No. 22)
Deals: Traded Kyle Korver (No. 51) to Philadelphia for cash
considerations
Grade: A-

New York Knicks
Round 1: Mike Sweetney, F, Georgetown (No. 9)
Round 2: Maciej Lampe, F, Spain (No. 30)
Round 2: Slavko Vranes, F, Serbia-Montenegro (No. 39)
Grade: A-

New Orleans Hornets
Round 1: David West, F, Xavier (No. 18)
Round 2: James Lang, C, Central Park Christian HS (No. 48)
Grade: C+

Orlando Magic
Round 1: Reece Gaines, G, Louisville (No. 15)
Round 2: Zaur Pachulia, F, Turkey (No. 42)
Round 2: Keith Bogans, G, Kentucky (No. 43)
Deals: Acquired Bogans from Milwaukee for cash considerations.
Grade: A

Philadelphia 76ers
Round 2: Willie Green, G, Detroit (No. 41)
Round 2: Kyle Korver, F, Creighton (No. 51)
Deals: Acquired Green in trade with Seattle for Paccelis Morlende (No.
50) and cash
Grade: C-

Phoenix Suns
Round 1: Zarko Cabarkaba, F, Serbia-Montenegro (No. 17)
Round 1: Leandrinho Barbosa, G, Brazil (No. 28)
Deals: Acquired Barbosa from San Antonio for a future first-round
pick.
Grade: B-

Portland Trail Blazers
Round 1: Travis Outlaw, F, Starkville HS (No. 23)
Round 2: Nedzad Sinanovic, C, Bosnia-Herzegovina (No. 54)
Grade: C-

Sacramento Kings
Round 1: No pick
Round 2: No pick
Grade: B

San Antonio Spurs
Deals: Traded Leandrinho Barbosa (No. 28) to Phoenix for future
first-round selection
Grade: Incomplete

Seattle SuperSonics
Round 1: Nick Collison, F, Kansas (No. 12)
Round 1: Luke Ridnour, G, Oregon (No. 14)
Round 2: Paccelis Morlende, G, France
Deals: Acquired Morlende from Philadelphia for Willie Green
Grade: C

Toronto Raptors
Round 1: Chris Bosh, F, Georgia Tech (No. 4)
Round 2: Matt Bonner, F, Florida (No. 45)
Round 2: Remon Van de Hare, C, Spain (No. 52)
Deals: Acquired Bonner from Chicago for a future second-round pick
Grade: B+

Utah Jazz
Round 1: Aleksandar Pavlovic, G, Serbia-Montenegro (No. 19)
Round 2: Maurice Williams, G, Alabama (No. 47)
Grade: A-

Washington Wizards
Round 1: Jarvis Hayes, G, Georgia (No. 10)
Round 2: Steve Blake, G, Maryland (No. 38)
Grade: C

27 Jun 2003 23:58:13
boumtje brown
Re: Draft Grades

On 27 Jun 2003 08:44:14 -0700, s_knight8@hotmail.com (s_knight8)
wrote:

>Sacramento Kings
> Round 1: No pick
>Round 2: No pick
>Grade: B

how does that work?

that's a pretty good grade for having no picks at all

mr.tim
----------------------------
rmhiphop.tripod.com
the rec.music.hiphop website
----------------------------
“Few of us can easily surrender our belief that society must somehow
make sense. The thought that The State has lost its mind and is
punishing so many innocent people is intolerable. And so the evidence
has to be internally denied.”

— Arthur Miller

27 Jun 2003 17:13:44
Neil Cerutti
Re: Draft Grades

In article <5rtofvs7tpaq20i5otlcfas24gtv3qsnef@4ax.com >, boumtje brown wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2003 08:44:14 -0700, s_knight8@hotmail.com (s_knight8)
> wrote:
>

>>Sacramento Kings
>> Round 1: No pick
>>Round 2: No pick
>>Grade: B
>
> how does that work?
>
> that's a pretty good grade for having no picks at all

The article probably points out they got Songaila for they're
pick. I'm still amazed they got a B. Who had their first rounder,
and for what did they trade it?

--
Neil Cerutti

27 Jun 2003 19:59:19
D. Gerasimatos
Re: Draft Grades

In article <6bd12cd6.0306270744.4424f735@posting.google.com >,
s_knight8 <s_knight8@hotmail.com > wrote:

>http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1573414
>Sacramento Kings
> Round 1: No pick
> Round 2: No pick
> Grade: B

???? How can your draft be a "B" when you had no picks?

Dimitri

27 Jun 2003 15:14:38
Obbie L Kirk
Who are this years Free/Un-restricted free agents?

Can someone please provide a whole list here in this group? Thanx in
advance!

27 Jun 2003 14:11:42
gk1
Re: Draft Grades

Neil Cerutti <horpner@yahoo.com > wrote in message news:<bdhu08$ssqbt$2@ID-60390.news.dfncis.de>...
> In article <5rtofvs7tpaq20i5otlcfas24gtv3qsnef@4ax.com>, boumtje brown wrote:
> > On 27 Jun 2003 08:44:14 -0700, s_knight8@hotmail.com (s_knight8)
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Sacramento Kings
> >> Round 1: No pick
> >>Round 2: No pick
> >>Grade: B
> >
> > how does that work?
> >
> > that's a pretty good grade for having no picks at all
>
> The article probably points out they got Songaila for they're
> pick. I'm still amazed they got a B. Who had their first rounder,
> and for what did they trade it?

wasn't it for mateen cleaves? that would make it a grade A slam dunk home run.

27 Jun 2003 16:11:36
Eric
Re: Draft Grades

> wasn't it for mateen cleaves? that would make it a grade A slam dunk home run.

No, Mateen is a unrestricted free agent now, I think. They traded future
second round picks for Songolia.

Eric

27 Jun 2003 23:00:08
Terraholm
Re: Who are this years Free/Un-restricted free agents?

"Obbie L Kirk" <kirk@tcfreenet.org > wrote in message

> Can someone please provide a whole list here in this group? Thanx in
> advance!

Here are the main ones, some are restricted:

Elton Brand
Jason Kidd
Jermaine O'Neal
Tim Duncan

Andre Miller
Brad Miller
Lamar Odom
Michael Olowokandi
James Posey
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Terry

Gilbert Arena
Corey Maggette

Karl Malone
Reggie Miller
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen

Darrell Armstrong
Jon Barry
P.J. Brown
Elden Campbell
Derrick Coleman
Lucios Harris
Juwan Howard
Stephen Jackson
Rasho Nesterovic
Ira Newble
Kenny Thomas

Kenny Anderson
Raja Bell
Calbert Cheaney
Speedy Claxton
Antonio Daniels
Kendall Gill
Dion Glover
Adrian Griffin
Othella Harrington
Tyrone Hill
Lindsey Hunter
Jim Jackson
Tyronn Lue
Jerome Moiso
Lee Nailon
Eric Piatkowski
Erick Strickland
Gary Trent
Charlie Ward
Scott Williams
Shammond Williams
Walt Williams

28 Jun 2003 11:05:21
Steve Nester
Re: Draft Grades

"Eric" <gokings@volcano.net > wrote in message

> > wasn't it for mateen cleaves? that would make it a grade A slam dunk
home run.

> No, Mateen is a unrestricted free agent now, I think. They traded future
> second round picks for Songolia.
>
> Eric

They traded this year's second round pick for Songaila, the pick Boston had
at the
end of the second round. Maybe a future one as well, I don't remember.

Steve

30 Jun 2003 12:12:14
Gary Heidenreich
Re: Draft Grades

Reading the beginning of the thread from '97 and '98 just kills me.
It's fun to look back and see how people felt about the early drafts
at the moment, and then how they turned out.

For example...

Charles O'Bannon - Best SF in the draft!

Ed Gray - Just what the Hawks need.

Hindsight is 20-20 to use the cliche.

Gary Heidenreich