30 Jun 2003 08:18:22
s_knight8
Christie and his wife are sued

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/bizjournal06-30-010300.asp?bizj=SAC

Jun. 30 — A spokeswoman for the Sacramento Kings who was let go
last autumn has sued the Kings organization, player Doug Christie and
his wife, Jackie, alleging harassment and discrimination that she
contends resulted from Christie's practice of avoiding contact with
all women but his wife.

Stephanie Shepard, who was assistant manager and later manager
of media relations for the Kings over four years, accuses the team of
reducing her responsibilities and eventually terminating her
employment after Jackie Christie complained about her because she gave
Doug Christie a phone message.
The case is built on a rare set of allegations in workplace
discrimination law, with an employee's family member accused, rather
than a supervisor or co-worker.
Her suit, filed May 27 in Sacramento County Superior Court,
alleges sexual harassment, unlawful retaliation, gender
discrimination, violation of civil rights, battery and infliction of
emotional distress. The suit names Doug and Jackie Christie, Shepard's
supervisor, Troy Hanson, Kings general manager Geoff Petrie, Kings
owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, Maloof Sports & Entertainment and
Sacramento Kings Ltd. Partnership as defendants. She seeks unspecified
damages, attorney fees and costs.

On at least one occasion when Doug Christie played for the Toronto
Raptors, according to a New York Times report, Jackie Christie
confronted a young female fan who was seeking an autograph and kiss
from her husband, telling her in a loud voice to back off because "she
was touching someone she shouldn't have."
Shepard is a "highly accomplished manager of media relations"
whose career could have "continued its upward ascent if Doug Christie
had never signed with the Kings," the suit contends. When Christie
signed with the team for the 2000-01 season, Shepard alleges, she
began experiencing "sex-based differential treatment and harassment."
As the only woman working directly with players, Shepard was
informed of the Christies' relationship and "warned about (their)
discriminatory practices against women," the suit said. Shepard "was
confident, however, that Maloof's supervisors and agents would prevent
the (couple's) reputation for misogyny to effect the professional
working environment in which she expected to continue growing. She was
sorely mistaken," the suit contends.
Don't speak to him: Trouble began, Shepard alleges, after she
delivered a phone message to Doug Christie as one of her duties. "As a
result, Jackie Christie aggressively approached Ms. Shepard the next
day and instructed her never to speak to Mr. Christie, regardless of
the professional circumstance," the suit says.
Shepard alleges that her boss, Hanson, instructed her to avoid
Christie, allowing "personal discriminatory preference to become (team
and Maloof Sports) policy." Her work responsibilities, she contends,
declined after Jackie Christie "made her wishes known" to Kings
representatives.
Shepard claims the number of players with whom she worked was
cut and she was told to stay out of areas for family and friends of
players, and hotel lobbies.
The conduct escalated, the suit alleges, to "outright threats
and physical intimidation. Jackie Christie physically 'bumped' Ms.
Shepard on several occasions."
Raptors say they made no changes: The Toronto Raptors did not
have to change anything operationally for Doug Christie while he
played for that team, a Raptors spokesman said. "We didn't do anything
out of the ordinary. We didn't need to," the spokesman said.
An August 2002 account in The New York Times by Mike Wise, a
former Sacramento journalist, on the Christies and their relationship
said Jackie Christie was uncomfortable with female employees of the
Raptors in the team locker room, so Doug Christie changed clothes in
an adjacent room.
"With few exceptions, Doug Christie does not look at other
women, avoiding dialogue or even eye contact," Wise wrote. "'Every
conversation I've ever had with a woman since we've been married
besides my wife she knows about,' he said."

30 Jun 2003 16:09:25
Gary Collard
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

s_knight8 wrote:

> "With few exceptions, Doug Christie does not look at other
> women, avoiding dialogue or even eye contact," Wise wrote. "'Every
> conversation I've ever had with a woman since we've been married
> besides my wife she knows about,' he said."

Wow, I never realized that his wife was such a psycho. God forbid that
Cheryl Miller ever try to inverview him...then again the wife would
probably think it was Reggie :)

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator

"I don't need Bush's tax cut. I have never worked a f***ing day
in my life." -- Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D, Rhode Island)

30 Jun 2003 12:37:25
Bad Man
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

On 30 Jun 2003, Eric <gokings@volcano.net > impressively belched the
following:

> Yep, when people made fun of Christie, I used to defend him, saying it
> was refreshing to see a dedicated family man in the NBA. I didn't
> realize his wife was such a bitch. That woman is freaking crazy, and
> Doug Christie better be getting A LOT to put up with her.

clearly there is more than one crazy person in that relationship....

30 Jun 2003 11:00:28
Dan
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

s_knight8 <s_knight8@hotmail.com > scribbled:

> http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/bizjournal06-30-
> 010300.asp?bizj=SAC

ain't it odd that if that was a man doing that to a woman, he'd be called a
sexist pig, control freak, ass hole, uneducated rube, and every other name
in the book?

--
" I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who
do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means "put

30 Jun 2003 19:42:43
Andrew Ryan Chang

Dan <Pet_NOSPAM_Sounds1@hotmail.com > wrote:
>s_knight8 <s_knight8@hotmail.com> scribbled:
>> http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/bizjournal06-30-
>> 010300.asp?bizj=SAC
>>

>ain't it odd that if that was a man doing that to a woman, he'd be called a
>sexist pig, control freak, ass hole, uneducated rube, and every other name
>in the book?

In three other posts in this thread, Christie's wife has been
called psycho, crazy, and a bitch. Sounds equal enough to me.

--
'"tort reform" -- the ongoing effort by corporations to immunize
themselves from legal responsibility for causing injuries or death.'

-- TomPaine staff [http://www.tompaine.com/features/2001/05/08/3.html]

30 Jun 2003 13:05:51
Dan
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

Andrew Ryan Chang <archang@sfu.ca > scribbled:

> Dan <Pet_NOSPAM_Sounds1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> s_knight8 <s_knight8@hotmail.com> scribbled:
>>> http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/bizjournal06-30-
>>> 010300.asp?bizj=SAC
>>>

>> ain't it odd that if that was a man doing that to a woman, he'd be
>> called a sexist pig, control freak, ass hole, uneducated rube, and
>> every other name in the book?
>
> In three other posts in this thread, Christie's wife has been
> called psycho, crazy, and a bitch. Sounds equal enough to me.

yah, by internet geeks..

I'm talking by family and friends, and in some cases, police.

> -- TomPaine staff
> [http://www.tompaine.com/features/2001/05/08/3.html]

--
" I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who
do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means "put
down."-- Bob Newhart

30 Jun 2003 20:39:39
SRB

"eichler4" <eichler4@comcast.net > wrote in message
> I guess the use of force, and not trust is the basis of their marriage.
> Doug Still has his balls stored away in his wife's purse. He is not a
man,
> just a p'whipped little servant for his wife. What harm is it going to do
> to 'talk' to another woman?

He might realize some of them are sane?

30 Jun 2003 21:05:41
Marshall J
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

If Doug ever wakes up and decides he wants leave that psycho bitch, he
better hire bodyguards otherwise he is a dead man.

"s_knight8" <s_knight8@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> [...]
> Shepard on several occasions."
> Raptors say they made no changes: The Toronto Raptors did not
> have to change anything operationally for Doug Christie while he
> played for that team, a Raptors spokesman said. "We didn't do anything
> out of the ordinary. We didn't need to," the spokesman said.
> An August 2002 account in The New York Times by Mike Wise, a
> former Sacramento journalist, on the Christies and their relationship
> said Jackie Christie was uncomfortable with female employees of the
> Raptors in the team locker room, so Doug Christie changed clothes in
> an adjacent room.
> "With few exceptions, Doug Christie does not look at other
> women, avoiding dialogue or even eye contact," Wise wrote. "'Every
> conversation I've ever had with a woman since we've been married
> besides my wife she knows about,' he said."

30 Jun 2003 22:18:28
GimpyVince
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

I heard Jackie slapped their female dog around for getting 'fresh' with
Dougie.

> [...]
> Shepard on several occasions."
> Raptors say they made no changes: The Toronto Raptors did not
> have to change anything operationally for Doug Christie while he
> played for that team, a Raptors spokesman said. "We didn't do anything
> out of the ordinary. We didn't need to," the spokesman said.
> An August 2002 account in The New York Times by Mike Wise, a
> former Sacramento journalist, on the Christies and their relationship
> said Jackie Christie was uncomfortable with female employees of the
> Raptors in the team locker room, so Doug Christie changed clothes in
> an adjacent room.
> "With few exceptions, Doug Christie does not look at other
> women, avoiding dialogue or even eye contact," Wise wrote. "'Every
> conversation I've ever had with a woman since we've been married
> besides my wife she knows about,' he said."

30 Jun 2003 21:51:44
Famine
Re: Christie and his wife are sued

Yep