22 May 2006 08:10:28
Pauli G
anyone read this Maryland college bb book?

Want to get a book for my Uncle's birthday (he's a huge college hoops
fan), and was wondering if anyone has read this book and if so, what
did you think?

Lenny, Lefty and the Chancellor: The Len Bias Tragedy and the Search
for Reform in Big-Time College Basketball
C. Fraser Smith

22 May 2006 14:29:15
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: anyone read this Maryland college bb book?

"Pauli G" <rioroad@hotmail.com > wrote

> Want to get a book for my Uncle's birthday (he's a huge college hoops
> fan), and was wondering if anyone has read this book and if so, what
> did you think?
>
> Lenny, Lefty and the Chancellor: The Len Bias Tragedy and the Search
> for Reform in Big-Time College Basketball

It doesn't seem to be about Duke, so what's the point?

More seriously, I wonder if it mentions Herman Veal. Imagine
if Duke's lacrosse coach had asked the girl to drop the charges.

--Tedward

22 May 2006 12:30:10
Pauli G

Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> "Pauli G" <rioroad@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > Want to get a book for my Uncle's birthday (he's a huge college hoops
> > fan), and was wondering if anyone has read this book and if so, what
> > did you think?
> >
> > Lenny, Lefty and the Chancellor: The Len Bias Tragedy and the Search
> > for Reform in Big-Time College Basketball
>
> It doesn't seem to be about Duke, so what's the point?
>
> More seriously, I wonder if it mentions Herman Veal. Imagine
> if Duke's lacrosse coach had asked the girl to drop the charges.

I originally was going to get him John Feinstein's new book on the
Final Four, which I understand is very Dukecentric. However, I've read
a lot of negative comments that Feinstein basically recycled a lot of
information from his previous book on the ACC (I forget the title, but
my uncle has it in his library), plus he has some gross factual errors
too (I guess Feinstein's work is getting worse and worse becasue he's
turning out books so quickly that they aren't checked over carefully).

22 May 2006 12:53:33
James Gibson

Pauli G wrote:

>Want to get a book for my Uncle's birthday (he's a huge college hoops
>fan), and was wondering if anyone has read this book and if so, what
>did you think?

>Lenny, Lefty and the Chancellor: The Len Bias Tragedy and the Search
>for Reform in Big-Time College Basketball
>C. Fraser Smith

I've read the book - I'd say it was OK, but not great. It's been a
while since I read it, but I think my opinion was the early part of the
book was pretty interesting - talking about Bias, the cocaine use going
on at the time, the fight between Lefty and the Chancellor and then it
got really boring after that point, which I think was less than 1/2 way
through. Not a bad present, but you could probably do better. Not
sure what I would recommend, though. B-ball books I've read have
included A Season on the Brink, A March to Madness, The Last Amateurs,
Lenny Lefty and the Chancellor, Scandals of '51, and Where the Game
Matters Most (that one was about Indiana high school basketball).
Lenny, Lefty and the Chancellor is probably toward the bottom of that
list for me.

28 May 2006 06:48:51
Re: anyone read this Maryland college bb book?

hi there...sorry but i have not read the book...hope you get more lucky
with other users...tadaa...