26 Aug 2003 18:11:26
s_knight8
United States 94, Argentina 86

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/news?slug=ap-argentina-us&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Argentina couldn't do it again, not with
Jermaine O'Neal taking a huge first step on the road to redemption.

With an improved United States team showing greater degrees of poise
and talent down the stretch, the Americans avenged a groundbreaking
defeat of a year ago by defeating Argentina 94-86 Tuesday in the
second round of the Tournament of the Americas.

With a contingent of Argentinian fans singing ``Don't forget what
happened last time,'' the teams played an intense four quarters.

The score was tied 74-74 with 6 1/2 minutes left before the U.S. team
closed the game by scoring 20 of the final 32 points.

``The thrill comes from watching this group continue to mature,'' said
U.S. assistant coach Gregg Popovich, who also was an assistant on last
summer's U.S. team. ``I still think about that once or twice a week.
We just won an NBA championship (in San Antonio), and I probably think
about (losing to Argentina, Yugoslavia and Spain) as much or more than
I do about the NBA championship because I'm a sick coach and I think
about those things.

``It's not about redemption or anything else. They won that thing, you
can't take that away. That hurt will be there forever. This is a new
deal,'' Popovich said.

Tim Duncan scored 19 points, playing most of the fourth quarter with
four fouls, Iverson had 13, and Carter and Mike Bibby scored 11
apiece. O'Neal had a team-high 10 rebounds.

Oberto had 17 points, and Manu Ginobili and Andres Nocioni added 16
each for Argentina.

``We played great. We almost beat them, so we have to be very
optimistic for the rest of the tournament,'' Ginobili said.

``If we have to play them again, it'll be a great game,'' U.S. coach
Larry Brown said. ``We were very fortunate to win, that's obvious.''

27 Aug 2003 05:16:58
D. Gerasimatos
Re: United States 94, Argentina 86

In article <U4W2b.3131$zL2.2576@nwrdny01.gnilink.net >,
Larry Lee <yuck@yucky.com > wrote:

>You can tell most of Team USA still scoffs at the prospect that any
>international player can guard them one-on-one...

Most of those guys are so good there isn't a player in the NBA who can
guard them one-on-one. The problem is that there are 5 players on the
court and zone is allowed.

Dimitri

27 Aug 2003 08:29:15
Dean
Re: United States 94, Argentina 86

That is pathetic. An NBA all-star team still on the verge of losing to
Argentina with only 6 minutes left in the game. Is Argentina even that
good? The games should be well out of hand and Nick Collison should be
getting plenty of minutes in the 4th quarter. I'm predicting that USA
will not go undefeated in the olympics next year.

27 Aug 2003 14:06:08
Granville Waiters' Ghost

<yuck@yucky.com > wrote:

> I saw the game... what the hell is up with the officiating? Is that how
> the international game is really called? You're allowed to mug the guy,
> basically assault him, but at random times you'll be called for ticky-tack,
> WTF fouls?

I think its a legacy of soccer. Every few minutes, you can guarantee
that someone who was not even touched will fall to the ground, holding
his shin and wincing like he's about to deliver Anna Nicole Smith's
love child through his forehead.

27 Aug 2003 08:56:12
Peter L

"Larry Lee" <yuck@yucky.com > wrote in message
> I saw the game... what the hell is up with the officiating? Is that how
> the international game is really called? You're allowed to mug the guy,
> basically assault him, but at random times you'll be called for
ticky-tack,
> WTF fouls?

Kind of like the NBA, huh?

> I like the international rules and games, though, I think it allows for
more
> flow to the game and less individualism.
>
> You can tell most of Team USA still scoffs at the prospect that any
> international player can guard them one-on-one... I saw a lot of sloppy
> mistakes and out of character moves that wouldn't happen in a normal NBA
> game.
>
> "s_knight8" <s_knight8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/news?slug=ap-argentina-us&prov=ap&type=lgns
> >
> > SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Argentina couldn't do it again, not with
> > Jermaine O'Neal taking a huge first step on the road to redemption.
> >
> > With an improved United States team showing greater degrees of poise
> > and talent down the stretch, the Americans avenged a groundbreaking
> > defeat of a year ago by defeating Argentina 94-86 Tuesday in the
> > second round of the Tournament of the Americas.
> >

> > With a contingent of Argentinian fans singing ``Don't forget what
> > happened last time,'' the teams played an intense four quarters.
> >
> > The score was tied 74-74 with 6 1/2 minutes left before the U.S. team
> > closed the game by scoring 20 of the final 32 points.
> >
> > ``The thrill comes from watching this group continue to mature,'' said
> > U.S. assistant coach Gregg Popovich, who also was an assistant on last
> > summer's U.S. team. ``I still think about that once or twice a week.
> > We just won an NBA championship (in San Antonio), and I probably think
> > about (losing to Argentina, Yugoslavia and Spain) as much or more than
> > I do about the NBA championship because I'm a sick coach and I think
> > about those things.
> >
> > ``It's not about redemption or anything else. They won that thing, you
> > can't take that away. That hurt will be there forever. This is a new
> > deal,'' Popovich said.
> >
> > Tim Duncan scored 19 points, playing most of the fourth quarter with
> > four fouls, Iverson had 13, and Carter and Mike Bibby scored 11
> > apiece. O'Neal had a team-high 10 rebounds.
> >
> > Oberto had 17 points, and Manu Ginobili and Andres Nocioni added 16
> > each for Argentina.
> >
> > ``We played great. We almost beat them, so we have to be very
> > optimistic for the rest of the tournament,'' Ginobili said.
> >
> > ``If we have to play them again, it'll be a great game,'' U.S. coach
> > Larry Brown said. ``We were very fortunate to win, that's obvious.''

27 Aug 2003 10:33:17
Peter L

"Olaf" <olaf@I.Hate.Spam.com > wrote in message

> "D. Gerasimatos" wrote:
>
> > In article <U4W2b.3131$zL2.2576@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>,
> > Larry Lee <yuck@yucky.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >You can tell most of Team USA still scoffs at the prospect that any
> > >international player can guard them one-on-one...
> >
> > Most of those guys are so good there isn't a player in the NBA who can
> > guard them one-on-one. The problem is that there are 5 players on the
> > court and zone is allowed.
> >

> Zone defense makes for interesting basketball; why'd they disallow it
> in the NBA?

Huh? Been living in a cave the last year?

27 Aug 2003 13:14:33
Dean
Re: United States 94, Argentina 86

I think he meant "why did the NBA originally disallow zone". I think they
did it to increase scoring (which is the same reason why they brought it
back).

"Peter L" <peterl68@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> "Olaf" <olaf@I.Hate.Spam.com> wrote in message
> > Zone defense makes for interesting basketball; why'd they disallow it
> > in the NBA?
>
> Huh? Been living in a cave the last year?

27 Aug 2003 13:39:39
Terraholm
Re: United States 94, Argentina 86

"Olaf" <olaf@I.Hate.Spam.com > wrote in message

> "D. Gerasimatos" wrote:

> Zone defense makes for interesting basketball; why'd they disallow it
> in the NBA?

They started the league with basically college rules of the time. The league
(the precursor NBL) was formed during the summer of 1946 by arena promoters,
not really basketball knowledgeable. After about half a season they changed
to the man to man as the only legal defense to separate themselves for the
other leagues, and because it was more interesting with the still novel
'jump shot' shooting over a taller player.

The rules to make zones illegal kept getting more complicated until finally
the league decided to allow them again.
3 years ago half of the zones, on the strong side, became legal in the NBA.
That was liked but made calling the illegal defense even more complicated.
So the next year the weak side zones also became allowed. Now the only
difference is a defensive 3 second rule limiting zoning up in the paint.

--
Laurel T
"A tough day at the office is even tougher

27 Aug 2003 13:41:31
Terraholm

"Dean" <noreply@fakeaddress.com > wrote in message
> I think he meant "why did the NBA originally disallow zone".

Maybe he follows international BBall instead of the NBA.

--
Laurel T
"If you can't say anything nice, sit next to me."

27 Aug 2003 21:19:12
Jason Bell

Peter L wrote:

> "Olaf" <olaf@I.Hate.Spam.com> wrote in message
>

>>"D. Gerasimatos" wrote:

>>>Most of those guys are so good there isn't a player in the NBA who can
>>>guard them one-on-one. The problem is that there are 5 players on the
>>>court and zone is allowed.
>>>

>>Zone defense makes for interesting basketball; why'd they disallow it
>>in the NBA?
>>

> Huh? Been living in a cave the last year?

Maybe so. From my cave, I saw defensive players called for
technicals for spending too much time guarding areas where
they felt their opponents had the greatest chance of scoring.

The NBA still does not allow defense. The defensive three
second call penalizes defense in the NBA.

To answer the previous question, the NBA has no interest in
presenting interesting basketball, their desire is to present
the sports product that is entertaining to the largest possible
audience.

- Jason Bell