23 Nov 2006 04:49:05
Donnie Barnes
UNC/Gonzaga

Well, Gonzaga played bad to start the game, and just played mediocre to end
the game. In between they were unstoppable, including some amazing stuff
from Raivio and Heytvelt. Great game by Gonzaga, and I don't want to take
away from their win, but I can't help but concentrate on all the things we
did wrong.

Wes Miller couldn't hit water if he fell out of the boat. Period. Why he
shot yet another three pointer when we had the ball down four late in the
game I don't know. By then he had to already be zero for six or so.

Reyshawn Terry kept getting completely abused by Matt Bouldin. There is no
explanation for this other than, well, Terry sucks on defense.

Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does. I do
think he was frustrated by a couple calls and a few more non-calls, but
that shouldn't be anything new to him (though they keep calling travels on
him that aren't, and in this game he also got a shot blocked that should
have been a goal tend). Again, not the game changer, but he didn't handle
this stuff like he should. (And to be fair, I should mention there was a
pretty big foul discrepancy in the game in UNC's favor, so while I think
Tyler may have gotten screwed a couple times, I doubt there was any
lopsided officiating.)

The team defense stank until 12 minutes to go in the game. Completely
uninspired before that. Pretty dang good after that. Too bad we couldn't
hit an outside shot to save our lives after that or we would have been
fine. We also shot terrible from the free throw line. Hopefully this one
serves as a wake-up call to what can happen if you don't play the *entire*
game. It's like the early spurt made them think they were invincible and
they didn't realize they really were in trouble until it was too late.

Better wake up in a hurry, Friday will be here soon. *sigh*

--Donnie

Alotta Fagina
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

You wrote:

> Wes Miller couldn't hit water if he fell out of the boat.
> Reyshawn Terry kept getting completely abused by Matt Bouldin.
> Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does.

Well, when your two seniors and your big hoss lead the f#ckup list, you got
problems. Shooters are gonna have off nights, but Terry's play makes last
year seem like a fluke. On that late baseline drive he damn near stepped
on the ref's foot he was so far out of bounds.

Maybe Tyler was distracted by Steve Lavin constantly referring to him as
"Hansburrow". Or by Brent Musburger's infinite buffoonery.

Wright made some great plays on his ability alone, but didn't play a smart
game (and his FT shooting makes Shaq look like Mark Price). He has yet to
develop any chemistry with PsychoT, either high/low or double-low.

23 Nov 2006 07:16:36
George W Harris
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

On 23 Nov 2006 04:49:05 GMT, Donnie Barnes
<djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote:

:Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does. I do
:think he was frustrated by a couple calls and a few more non-calls, but
:that shouldn't be anything new to him (though they keep calling travels on
:him that aren't

usually called

--
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." -Wash, 'Serenity'

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

23 Nov 2006 04:01:57
kstarheel
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

George W Harris wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2006 04:49:05 GMT, Donnie Barnes
> <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote:
>
> :Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does. I do
> :think he was frustrated by a couple calls and a few more non-calls, but
> :that shouldn't be anything new to him (though they keep calling travels on
> :him that aren't
>
> usually called
>
> :, and in this game he also got a shot blocked that should
> :have been a goal tend).
>

> --
> "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." -Wash, 'Serenity'
>
> George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Just a rough game. No one on UNC aside from Frasor really seemed to
be 'into it'. I think Tyler starting thinking way too much and quit
being Tyler. Wes Miller should have NEVER been allowed to try and
carry the team from the outside.... Green should have been in more in
the 2nd half. The sophomores that played great last year are getting
shots and time taken away by the freshman and frankly it seems to have
hurt the chemistry. Long season though..... but work on those FT's
boys! Yikes. And Terry is just a head case, sit him already.

23 Nov 2006 16:27:43
Donnie Barnes
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

On Thu, 23 Nov, Alotta Fagina wrote:
> Well, when your two seniors and your big hoss lead the f#ckup list, you got
> problems. Shooters are gonna have off nights, but Terry's play makes last
> year seem like a fluke. On that late baseline drive he damn near stepped
> on the ref's foot he was so far out of bounds.

On the plus side, he's so quick when he does it that he stepped out *twice*
before the ref could blow his whistle.

> Maybe Tyler was distracted by Steve Lavin constantly referring to him as
> "Hansburrow". Or by Brent Musburger's infinite buffoonery.

"And here comes the most interesting hair in college basketball..."

> Wright made some great plays on his ability alone, but didn't play a smart
> game (and his FT shooting makes Shaq look like Mark Price). He has yet to
> develop any chemistry with PsychoT, either high/low or double-low.

I'm not so sure I agree on that last part. He's had some nice passes in
the hi/lo with Tyler in earlier games, but it was just *this* game that it
disappeared. The FT shooting has *got* to get better, that's for sure.
The odd thing is he isn't a horrible shooter *other* than free throws...

--Donnie

Donnie Barnes
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

On Thu, 23 Nov, kstarheel wrote:
> George W Harris wrote:
>> On 23 Nov 2006 04:49:05 GMT, Donnie Barnes
>> <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote:
>>
>> :Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does. I do
>> :think he was frustrated by a couple calls and a few more non-calls, but
>> :that shouldn't be anything new to him (though they keep calling travels on
>> :him that aren't
>>
>> usually called

Hahaha...watch the replays, George. Watch the replays.

> Just a rough game. No one on UNC aside from Frasor really seemed to
> be 'into it'.

Agreed, though I couldn't believe how well he was playing and then he threw
up those two *horrible* shots (including an airball).

> I think Tyler starting thinking way too much and quit being Tyler.

There was certainly something odd going on there.

> Wes Miller should have NEVER been allowed to try and
> carry the team from the outside....

Let him try early, but when he's consistently unsuccessful, perhaps it's
time to try something else.

> Green should have been in more in
> the 2nd half. The sophomores that played great last year are getting
> shots and time taken away by the freshman and frankly it seems to have
> hurt the chemistry.

I agree on Green. I'm not sure there is a chemistry problem off the court
so much, but on the court there certainly isn't much. I think we've got to
trust that Roy will figure it out and remember that it's still early and a
loss now to a Gonzaga isn't a horrible thing.

> Long season though..... but work on those FT's boys! Yikes.

Indeed.

> And Terry is just a head case, sit him already.

I thought that's what was happening, and then Roy put him back in down the
stretch. Made no sense to me. He had been horrible all game. I mean the
white boy with the mop abused him. That's just wrong.

--Donnie

Geoffrey F. Green
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

In article <slrnembj2l.91k.djbSPAMSUCKS@localhost.localdomain >,
Donnie Barnes <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov, kstarheel wrote:
> > George W Harris wrote:
> >> On 23 Nov 2006 04:49:05 GMT, Donnie Barnes
> >> <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> :Tyler Hansbrough just wasn't working as hard as he usually does. I do
> >> :think he was frustrated by a couple calls and a few more non-calls, but
> >> :that shouldn't be anything new to him (though they keep calling travels on
> >> :him that aren't
> >>
> >> usually called
>
> Hahaha...watch the replays, George. Watch the replays.

Maybe Tyler is experiencing the reverse of what usually happens -- he
got all the calls as a freshman, and now they're actually going to
start calling the fouls and travels he commits. Or probably this was
just an aberration.

- geoff

24 Nov 2006 13:41:45
funQuay
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

"Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-usenet2@stuebegreen.com > wrote in message

> Maybe Tyler is experiencing the reverse of what usually happens -- he
> got all the calls as a freshman, and now they're actually going to
> start calling the fouls and travels he commits.

A Duke fan whinging about biased referees is like a frog complaining about
the stench of a bedouin.

24 Nov 2006 07:14:02
Kevrob
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

funQuay wrote:
> "Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-usenet2@stuebegreen.com> wrote in message
>
> > Maybe Tyler is experiencing the reverse of what usually happens -- he
> > got all the calls as a freshman, and now they're actually going to
> > start calling the fouls and travels he commits.
>
> A Duke fan whinging about biased referees is like a frog complaining about
> the stench of a bedouin.

Marquette beat Duke, and jumped to the top of the Sagarin ratings.
Then the Zags took down the Tar Heels, and they are in the top slot.
Lesson: Schools from N. Carolina should avoid playing Jesuit schools in
November? :)

Kevin

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0607.htm

24 Nov 2006 15:41:39
Donnie Barnes
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

On Fri, 24 Nov, Geoffrey F. Green wrote:
> Maybe Tyler is experiencing the reverse of what usually happens -- he
> got all the calls as a freshman, and now they're actually going to
> start calling the fouls and travels he commits. Or probably this was
> just an aberration.

They "keep calling travels on him that aren't" is in reference to what's
happened from last season, too. Yep, I'm saying it...they call travels on
him that aren't and they always have. That's why he should have dealt with
it better...he should be used to it. *shrug*

Not to take away from the game, though...Gonzaga outplayed UNC for most of
the game and that's why they won.

Another effort thing on Tyler...there were no "and-one" plays for him and
that's the first time this season I can remember that happening, and there
weren't many games last season he didn't get one, either. Especially after
about a third of the way through the season.

--Donnie

Edward M. Kennedy
Re: UNC/Gonzaga

"kstarheel" <kstarheel@cox.net > wrote

> Just a rough game. No one on UNC aside from Frasor really seemed to
> be 'into it'. I think Tyler starting thinking way too much and quit
> being Tyler. Wes Miller should have NEVER been allowed to try and
> carry the team from the outside....

Nobody should be allowed to "try and carry". George, are
you slipping?

--Tedward