25 May 2007 13:26:16
mimus
Roland Garros Is Upon Us

Ah, the slow turning of the basketball off-season, exacerbated by the
seemingly endless tennis clay-season.

But clay season's almost over, and Roland Garros-- the French Open--
_does_ usually afford _some_ amusement by letting us see the American men
fall in the first round or two like those "waving fields of grain" one of
the American Fascist hymns to the state goes on about (any State that
demands or even just expects pledges to be chanted to it and hymns sung to
it is a Fascist State).

Then there's the grass season to suffer through (somewhat better, since it
puts a premium on both the great serves and the great return games, in
exact reverse of clay, although there's the grotesque pretensions to
"class" by that lovely little closed corporation of Wimbledonites to gag
over).

Then we finally fight our way through to the second real tennis season (US
hard courts, the first being the Aussie season, on Rebound Ace, much more
balanced surfaces both).

Then a dead month or so in Fall, the low point of the year, sports-wise.

And finally basketball again.

<sigh >

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

25 May 2007 14:16:50
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Roland Garros Is Upon Us

"mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote

> But clay season's almost over, and Roland Garros-- the French Open--

"Roland Garros" sounds gay.

--Tedward

25 May 2007 15:52:22
Isaac Cock
Re: Roland Garros Is Upon Us

"Edward M. Kennedy" <doidy@wox.com > wrote in message

> "Roland Garros" sounds gay.

I agree with this poast.

25 May 2007 16:32:53
mimus
Re: Roland Garros Is Upon Us

On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:52:22 -0400, Isaac Cock wrote:

> "Edward M. Kennedy" <doidy@wox.com> wrote in message
>
>> "Roland Garros" sounds gay.
>
> I agree with this poast.

It's French for "Tennis on Wet Sand". Apparently.