30 Mar 2005 01:18:16
Steve Cutchen
Roehrig

The BIG Rig.

30 Mar 2005 08:40:30
RDWinthrop
Re: Roehrig

>The BIG Rig.

You ain't kiddin ... showing about 20% growth a year, too, as she gets
too much home cooking eveery summer, says her coach.

But she's a smart ball-player, no one you want posting you up in the
low block. You'd think she couldn't get up & down court, but she turns
and chugs her way down there pretty good -- made a late defensive play
last night, started the outlet, followed play down court and ended up
with the put-back, to the surprise of no one who has watched her play.

MSU women's teams were chopped liver for years, and 250 was a good
crowd until Joanne P. McAlley arrived in a 10-win season ... this year
they <sold > 14,000 seats for their last home game v. Ohio State ...
and next year's incoming frosh include 3 really good ones from
mid-Michigan, including a name worth noting = Tiffany Shives of
Lansing (a McD AA). This kid is the Shootist ...

regards - rdw

30 Mar 2005 06:16:47
SXF
Re: Roehrig

> The BIG Rig.

She is a true MooUer.

31 Mar 2005 02:51:32
Archibald Q. Leachington
Re: Roehrig

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:40:30 -0500, in rec.sport.basketball.college
RDWinthrop <RDWinthrop@a1access.net > wrote:

>>The BIG Rig.
>
>You ain't kiddin ... showing about 20% growth a year, too, as she gets
>too much home cooking eveery summer, says her coach.
>
>But she's a smart ball-player, no one you want posting you up in the
>low block. You'd think she couldn't get up & down court, but she turns
>and chugs her way down there pretty good -- made a late defensive play
>last night, started the outlet, followed play down court and ended up
>with the put-back, to the surprise of no one who has watched her play.
>
>MSU women's teams were chopped liver for years, and 250 was a good
>crowd until Joanne P. McAlley arrived in a 10-win season ... this year
>they <sold> 14,000 seats for their last home game v. Ohio State ...
>and next year's incoming frosh include 3 really good ones from
>mid-Michigan, including a name worth noting = Tiffany Shives of
>Lansing (a McD AA). This kid is the Shootist ...

For reasons unknown, Lansing, MI has become a hotbed for producing
wmn's bouncyballers at the high school level.

"I don't look at myself as a basketball coach;
I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach
basketball."--Coach K.

31 Mar 2005 08:41:01
SXF
Re: Roehrig

> For reasons unknown, Lansing, MI has become a hotbed for producing
> wmn's bouncyballers at the high school level.

Maybe all the basketball camps.

31 Mar 2005 11:15:51
mollusk
Re: Roehrig

SXF wrote:
> > For reasons unknown, Lansing, MI has become a hotbed for producing
> > wmn's bouncyballers at the high school level.
>
> Maybe all the basketball camps.

Or some Magic Johnson genes still in the local gene pool. ;^)

Dave Mikolaitis

31 Mar 2005 18:14:49
RDWinthrop
Re: Roehrig

>> For reasons unknown, Lansing, MI has become a hotbed for producing wmn's bouncyballers at the high school level.

>Maybe all the basketball camps.

Although there is little or nothing in the way of middle school
programs (budget cuts & all that), AAU is indeed strong, there's an
Aim High Academy which runs leagues & instructionals, and several
pretty strong programs from Jr. Pro on up for younger girls.

Thus, since 2000 the city's conference has produced Class A tournament
winners 3 times each for boys and girls, making Lansing (for the
moment, at least) Hoop City, Michigan.

Rise in Michigan State programs are clearly attributable to coaches
Izzo & McAllie & their substantial staffs. Women's program was awful
forever until five years ago, and they just keep getting better.

regards - rdw