29 Nov 2008 20:12:57
mimus
Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

LAS VEGAS-- Freshman DeAndre Liggins refused to re-enter Kentucky's game
against Kansas State on Friday night.

UK Coach Billy Gillispie acknowledged Liggins' refusal to enter the game
early in the second half of UK's 74-72 victory. "He just said he didn't
want to go back in ... " Gillispie said before adding with a defiant tone,
"and we made do without him."

A follow-up question brought a softer, philosophical response from the UK
coach.

"I was really surprised by that," he said. "But it's a freshman who wants
to play all the time. When he doesn't get to play all the time, sometimes
you make mistakes like that. And hopefully it won't be repeated."

Liggins, a celebrated recruit who played last season for Findlay Prep in
nearby Henderson, Nev., played only two minutes in the first half. He
went to the bench after awkwardly slipping to the floor and being called
for walking . . . .

While Kentucky won without Liggins, his absence had repercussions. It
forced starting point guard Michael Porter to play 36 minutes (second most
of his career) against Kansas State's pressure defense. Porter
contributed five points and five assists while committing four turnovers.

"He played very gutsy," Gillispie said of Porter. "Because he was totally
physically drained and worn out" . . . .

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/609525.html

I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on home
after the game.

"Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.

And Liggins has nothing to be a prima-donna about; he's looked like a deer
in headlights in every game they're tried 'im in so far this year.

Now, he _is_ a freshman, I understand that, and it often takes time for
even excellent freshman players to get their game-legs under 'em, and I
understand that, too; but sulking about lack of playing-time when you're
not capitalizing on your chances is something completely different.

And I'd already come reluctantly to the conclusion, based on the "deer in
headlights" thing, that Gillispie is right, we have to rely on Porter at
the point, switching off with Meeks some.

Oh, well, I'd rather have _Peyton Place_ than _General Hospital_, like
last year.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

"Ask not for whom the horn honks:
"It honks for thee."

01 Dec 2008 11:38:37
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

"mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote

> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on home
> after the game.
>
> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.

Me? I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.

--Tedward

01 Dec 2008 13:24:25
mimus
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:38:37 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

> "mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on home
>> after the game.
>>
>> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.
>
> Me? I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.

He recouped himself against WVU.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

"Ask not for whom the horn honks:
"It honks for thee."

01 Dec 2008 14:04:13
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

"mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote

>>> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on home
>>> after the game.
>>>
>>> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.
>>
>> Me? I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.
>
> He recouped himself against WVU.

Drat. I can still savor Pitno's pain though.

--Tedward

01 Dec 2008 15:03:50
mimus
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:04:13 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

> "mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> Me? I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.
>>
>> He recouped himself against WVU.
>
> Drat. I can still savor Pitno's pain though.

I ignore all that.

Wouldn't wipe my feet on the best part of 'im.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

"Ask not for whom the horn honks:
"It honks for thee."

01 Dec 2008 15:05:37
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

"mimus" <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote

>>> He recouped himself against WVU.
>>
>> Drat. I can still savor Pitno's pain though.
>
> I ignore all that.
>
> Wouldn't wipe my feet on the best part of 'im.

His hair would stain your shoes, that's for sure.

--Tedward

01 Dec 2008 19:39:24
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

On Dec 1, 1:24=A0pm, mimus <tinmimu...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:38:37 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> > "mimus" <tinmimu...@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> >> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on =
home
> >> after the game.
>
> >> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.
>
> > Me? =A0I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.
>
> He recouped himself against WVU.
>
> --
>
> The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
> (Please ignore.)
>
> _Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
> Welcome to college basketball!
>
> "Ask not for whom the horn honks:
> "It honks for thee."

Why not go "Old School" in minutes?
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19711213MichiganState.htm=

Michigan State at Kentucky

- Monday, December 13 1971 -

Michigan State - 91 (Head Coach: Gus Ganakas) - [Unranked]
Player Min FG FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast Pts
Allen Smith 11 2 5 1 3 6 4 0 5
Brian Breslin 34 7 14 3 4 9 4 1 17
Pat Miller 36 4 6 1 1 11 2 2 9
Bill Kilgore 38 9 11 4 6 11 2 0 22
Mike Robinson 40 14 27 4 5 0 3 4 32
Gary Ganakas 40 2 6 2 5 4 1 5 6
Team 6
Totals 199 38 69 15 24 47 16 12 91

Kentucky - 85 (Head Coach: Adolph Rupp) - [Ranked 7th by AP]
Player Min FG FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast Pts
Dan Perry 9 0 2 0 0 1 3 0 0
Larry Stamper 40 6 11 4 6 16 2 3 16
Jim Andrews 40 13 27 6 7 15 1 3 32
Ronnie Lyons 40 7 19 2 2 4 3 2 16
Stan Key 40 8 17 2 2 2 3 2 18
Bob McCowan 11 0 2 0 0 0 3 2 0
Rick Drewitz 20 1 3 1 3 2 3 0 3
Team 4
Totals 200 35 81 15 20 44 18 12 85

Halftime Score: Michigan State 45, Kentucky 44
Attendance: 11,500
Arena: Memorial Coliseum

02 Dec 2008 02:51:09
mimus
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:39:24 -0800, barchdan wrote:

> On Dec 1, 1:24 pm, mimus <tinmimu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:38:37 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>> "mimus" <tinmimu...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> Me?  I sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show.
>>
>> He recouped himself against WVU.
>
> Why not go "Old School" in minutes?
> http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19711213MichiganState.html
>
> Michigan State at Kentucky
>
> - Monday, December 13 1971 -
>
> Michigan State - 91 (Head Coach: Gus Ganakas) - [Unranked]
> Player Min FG FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast Pts
> Allen Smith 11 2 5 1 3 6 4 0 5
> Brian Breslin 34 7 14 3 4 9 4 1 17
> Pat Miller 36 4 6 1 1 11 2 2 9
> Bill Kilgore 38 9 11 4 6 11 2 0 22
> Mike Robinson 40 14 27 4 5 0 3 4 32
> Gary Ganakas 40 2 6 2 5 4 1 5 6
> Team 6
> Totals 199 38 69 15 24 47 16 12 91
>
> Kentucky - 85 (Head Coach: Adolph Rupp) - [Ranked 7th by AP]
> Player Min FG FGA FT FTA Reb PF Ast Pts
> Dan Perry 9 0 2 0 0 1 3 0 0
> Larry Stamper 40 6 11 4 6 16 2 3 16
> Jim Andrews 40 13 27 6 7 15 1 3 32
> Ronnie Lyons 40 7 19 2 2 4 3 2 16
> Stan Key 40 8 17 2 2 2 3 2 18
> Bob McCowan 11 0 2 0 0 0 3 2 0
> Rick Drewitz 20 1 3 1 3 2 3 0 3
> Team 4
> Totals 200 35 81 15 20 44 18 12 85
>
> Halftime Score: Michigan State 45, Kentucky 44
> Attendance: 11,500
> Arena: Memorial Coliseum

Because we need to keep Porter alive long enough for Liggins to get his
act together . . . .

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

"Ask not for whom the horn honks:
"It honks for thee."

05 Dec 2008 19:06:40
mimus
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:12:57 -0500, mimus wrote:

> LAS VEGAS-- Freshman DeAndre Liggins refused to re-enter Kentucky's game
> against Kansas State on Friday night.
>
> UK Coach Billy Gillispie acknowledged Liggins' refusal to enter the game
> early in the second half of UK's 74-72 victory. "He just said he didn't
> want to go back in ... " Gillispie said before adding with a defiant tone,
> "and we made do without him."
>
> A follow-up question brought a softer, philosophical response from the UK
> coach.
>
> "I was really surprised by that," he said. "But it's a freshman who wants
> to play all the time. When he doesn't get to play all the time, sometimes
> you make mistakes like that. And hopefully it won't be repeated."
>
> Liggins, a celebrated recruit who played last season for Findlay Prep in
> nearby Henderson, Nev., played only two minutes in the first half. He
> went to the bench after awkwardly slipping to the floor and being called
> for walking . . . .
>
> While Kentucky won without Liggins, his absence had repercussions. It
> forced starting point guard Michael Porter to play 36 minutes (second most
> of his career) against Kansas State's pressure defense. Porter
> contributed five points and five assists while committing four turnovers.
>
> "He played very gutsy," Gillispie said of Porter. "Because he was totally
> physically drained and worn out" . . . .
>
> http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/609525.html
>
> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on home
> after the game.
>
> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.
>
> And Liggins has nothing to be a prima-donna about; he's looked like a deer
> in headlights in every game they're tried 'im in so far this year.
>
> Now, he _is_ a freshman, I understand that, and it often takes time for
> even excellent freshman players to get their game-legs under 'em, and I
> understand that, too; but sulking about lack of playing-time when you're
> not capitalizing on your chances is something completely different.
>
> And I'd already come reluctantly to the conclusion, based on the "deer in
> headlights" thing, that Gillispie is right, we have to rely on Porter at
> the point, switching off with Meeks some.
>
> Oh, well, I'd rather have _Peyton Place_ than _General Hospital_, like
> last year.

Boy, Nemesis, or the Woof Gods, or whoever or wotever, really got me on
that one.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!

"Ask not for whom the horn honks:
"It honks for thee."

06 Dec 2008 03:40:37
Father Guido Sarducci
Re: Oh, Great: Head-Case Alert

In message news:S5Cdncy1hohUXKTUnZ2dnUVZ_sninZ2d@giganews.com, mimus
<tinmimus99@hotmail.com > said:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:12:57 -0500, mimus wrote:
>
>> LAS VEGAS-- Freshman DeAndre Liggins refused to re-enter Kentucky's
>> game against Kansas State on Friday night.
>>
>> UK Coach Billy Gillispie acknowledged Liggins' refusal to enter the
>> game early in the second half of UK's 74-72 victory. "He just said he
>> didn't want to go back in ... " Gillispie said before adding with a
>> defiant tone, "and we made do without him."
>>
>> A follow-up question brought a softer, philosophical response from the
>> UK coach.
>>
>> "I was really surprised by that," he said. "But it's a freshman who
>> wants to play all the time. When he doesn't get to play all the time,
>> sometimes you make mistakes like that. And hopefully it won't be
>> repeated."
>>
>> Liggins, a celebrated recruit who played last season for Findlay Prep
>> in nearby Henderson, Nev., played only two minutes in the first half.
>> He went to the bench after awkwardly slipping to the floor and being
>> called for walking . . . .
>>
>> While Kentucky won without Liggins, his absence had repercussions. It
>> forced starting point guard Michael Porter to play 36 minutes (second
>> most of his career) against Kansas State's pressure defense. Porter
>> contributed five points and five assists while committing four
>> turnovers.
>>
>> "He played very gutsy," Gillispie said of Porter. "Because he was
>> totally physically drained and worn out" . . . .
>>
>> http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/609525.html
>>
>> I'd've sent 'im to the locker-room to dress out, and then sent him on
>> home after the game.
>>
>> "Blue-chip" is one thing; "prima-donna" is another.
>>
>> And Liggins has nothing to be a prima-donna about; he's looked like a
>> deer in headlights in every game they're tried 'im in so far this
>> year.
>>
>> Now, he _is_ a freshman, I understand that, and it often takes time
>> for even excellent freshman players to get their game-legs under 'em,
>> and I understand that, too; but sulking about lack of playing-time
>> when you're not capitalizing on your chances is something completely
>> different.
>>
>> And I'd already come reluctantly to the conclusion, based on the "deer
>> in headlights" thing, that Gillispie is right, we have to rely on
>> Porter at the point, switching off with Meeks some.
>>
>> Oh, well, I'd rather have _Peyton Place_ than _General Hospital_, like
>> last year.
>
> Boy, Nemesis, or the Woof Gods, or whoever or wotever, really got me on
> that one.

The ghost of Quiet Riot.