17 Aug 2003 23:51:55
Murph
My 'updated' Big East ramblings

It seems as if the wind has changed direction again.

In my original Big East ramblings, I felt it was a virtual certainty
that (as a result of the ACC raid) the Big East football (all-sport)
schools and the basketball-only schools would split apart, forming
separate conferences respectively.

It now appears they are exploring the possibility of staying together
- for now, at least.

Apparently, there are lots of legal entanglements and sacrifices the
football schools might not be willing to make at this time if they go
it alone.

If there was a split, the football schools would technically be the
ones leaving the conference, hence each school would have to pay an
exit fee. They would also be giving up the Big East name (for what
it's worth) which has a bit of history and tradition attached to it
and (for the time being), still a BCS conference.

In hoops, they would be giving up their bball tournament money (units
earned), playing the conference tournament at MSG (a big recruiting
tool and TV exposure), and possibly an auto-bid to the tournament
(although many of those schools would get at-large bids anyway).

For these reasons and others, it seems as if everyone in the Big East
may be considering the 'confederation' plan; 8 football (all-sport
schools) and 8 bball-only schools, separate, but operating under the
same Big East banner.

The 6 Big East football schools would add 2 teams (probably Louisville
& Cincy) to get to 8 and the 6 (including Notre Dame) basketball
schools would add 2 (maybe Marquette, Depaul or Xavier) to get
themselves to 8 teams as well.

Note that this sets the foundation for an "eventual" and probably
smoother split some time down the road, unfortunately not soon enough
for some Big East football fans.

The Big East confederation would look something like this:

Big East BBall-only:

St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Villanova
Georgetown
Notre Dame
with the additions of 2 of the following 3:
Marquette
Depaul
Xavier

Big East Football:

Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Boston College
Syracuse
UConn
Rutgers
with the additions of:
Louisville
Cincinnati

In hoops, the two groups would be able to play against each other (for
those that are natural rivals, etc.) in the regular season and
possibly have a large, merged conference tournament.

Personally, this isn't a set-up I'd like to see, but it appears to be
a scenario that is being given consideration at the moment.

18 Aug 2003 09:04:06
Carl Banks
Re: My 'updated' Big East ramblings

Murph,
exactly what drugs were you under the influence of when you wrote:
[snip]
> Personally, this isn't a set-up I'd like to see, but it appears to be
> a scenario that is being given consideration at the moment.

The key word here is "appears." That's merely how it appears, and we
don't have a very good vantage point at all.

The fact is, most of what we know about the Big East future moves is
speculation by journalists, or journalists writing about what other
journalists have speculated, or journalists writing about what people
on message board have speculated. The Big East has been silent since
early July, and what a journalist speculates is pretty much useless.

The sixteen-team umbrella plan? I don't think it any more likely now
than it was a month ago. AFAIK, some Big East guy mentioned this idea
*once*, before VT and Miami defected.

My feeling now is the same feeling I've had all along: That the Big
East would add Louisville and someone else to replace Miami and VT,
and that's it. It's just speculation, though.

--
CARL BANKS http://www.aerojockey.com

"You don't run Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Windows runs you."

18 Aug 2003 18:34:09
EZ-Kill
Re: My 'updated' Big East ramblings

I'm inclined to agree with you Carl. Just pick up two teams and go on.
That's too simple and makes too much sense though. :)