03 May 2007 17:23:20
Don Del Grande
Just what we need - two 3-point lines

The NCAA basketball rules committee finished its meeting on Thursday;
apparently, the big thing is to move the 3-point line back to
20'9"...while the women's committee decided to keep the line for women
where it is. (I for one don't know why they don't make it 20'6",
since the international line is only 1/16" farther out...and if
they're making every school repaint its lines, why not go one step
further and bring in the trapezoidal lane?)

(Note that this won't take effect until 2008-09, and that's if it's
not voted down the way the line move and trapezoidal lane were voted
down a few years ago.)

Also (and I'm not clear if these take effect in 2007 or 2008), the
lane spaces nearest the basket will remain empty on free throws, and
the "rule" that says "standing under the basket is not a legal
guarding position in women's basketball" is being removed, although
one of the points of emphasis for the men for 2007 is "calling
blocking or charging, particularly near the basket."

Question: another of the points for emphasis for men is "enforcing the
coaches' box" - who's just asking for their share of techincals next
season?

-- Don


04 May 2007 07:58:28
jsh
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

In article <3nuk331d4s40j7tcgspt2qhbsr5siceqsg@4ax.com >,
Don Del Grande <del_grande_news@earthlink.net > wrote:

>
> Question: another of the points for emphasis for men is "enforcing the
> coaches' box" - who's just asking for their share of techincals next
> season?
>
> -- Don

Judging by the games I've watched, it's about 3/4 of the D1 coaches. I
expect a majority of the coaches who regularly transgress will be able
to change their behavior (assuming the refs actually do get serious
about calling it). Unfortunately, I doubt Bruce Weber will be one of
those.

-- jsh


07 May 2007 11:28:16
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
hasn't bothered me at all.

--Tedward


07 May 2007 16:08:10
Constance Reeder
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

On 2007-05-07, Edward M. Kennedy <doidy@wox.com > wrote:
> I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
> hasn't bothered me at all.

Yeah, but what will you do with 4?

--

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer


07 May 2007 12:46:37
foaddoc
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines


"Constance Reeder" <constance@duxmail.com > wrote in message
news:slrnf3ujna.oph.constance@bill.heins.net...

> On 2007-05-07, Edward M. Kennedy <doidy@wox.com> wrote:
>> I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
>> hasn't bothered me at all.
>
> Yeah, but what will you do with 4?

I assume that when he's driving and sees 4 lines he covers one eye w/a
matchbook. That may help in this situation as well.




07 May 2007 12:56:16
mimus
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:28:16 -0400, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

> I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
> hasn't bothered me at all.

Anyone who plays regularly at Vandy isn't gonna be bothered by an extra
line or two.

Or playing on top of a cliff, for that matter.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!



07 May 2007 13:01:55
mimus
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:46:37 -0400, foaddoc wrote:

> "Constance Reeder" <constance@duxmail.com> wrote in message
> news:slrnf3ujna.oph.constance@bill.heins.net...
>
>> On 2007-05-07, Edward M. Kennedy <doidy@wox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
>>> hasn't bothered me at all.
>>
>> Yeah, but what will you do with 4?
>
> I assume that when he's driving and sees 4 lines he covers one eye w/a
> matchbook. That may help in this situation as well.

No, no, you just cover two of your eyes on either side.

--

The Usenet voice of the Kentucky Wildcats!
(Please ignore.)

_Raw Recruits_ and _Undue Process_ for all,
Welcome to college basketball!




07 May 2007 20:13:12
Donnie Barnes
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

On Mon, 07 May, mimus wrote:
> Anyone who plays regularly at Vandy isn't gonna be bothered by an extra
> line or two.

Or what about Stanford? Sheesh, that court is atrocious.


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.


07 May 2007 16:49:40
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

"foaddoc" <foad@bitchslap.org > wrote

> >> I've been seeing two three point lines for years and it
> >> hasn't bothered me at all.
> >
> > Yeah, but what will you do with 4?
>
> I assume that when he's driving and sees 4 lines he covers one eye w/a
> matchbook. That may help in this situation as well.

It's only a problem when I'm seeing an *odd* number of
lines. It usually means I'm about to collide with the
one in the middle.

--Tedward

I'm only a tree hugger when I'm falling down drunk


07 May 2007 16:55:51
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

"Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote

> > Anyone who plays regularly at Vandy isn't gonna be bothered by an extra
> > line or two.
>
> Or what about Stanford? Sheesh, that court is atrocious.

I get dizzy just thinking about it. While staring at a corner
where the walls and cieling come together will generally stop
a case of the spins, when there's that many corners in close
proximity they just start spinning around each other. Not good.
Not good at all.

I might as well yell, "Timber!" and get it over with.

--Tedward


08 May 2007 11:42:21
Donnie Barnes
Re: Just what we need - two 3-point lines

On Mon, 07 May, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> It's only a problem when I'm seeing an *odd* number of
> lines. It usually means I'm about to collide with the
> one in the middle.

Rocky: Hey Mick, I'm seein tree of dem out dere.
Mickey: Well, HIT THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE!


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.