31 Mar 2005 12:56:58
Larry R Harrison Jr
Heels-Haters Hone Back-Ended Praise

A couple of observations.

One: in a way, it's kind of cool. The haters being out must mean one
thing--we're baaaack! Nanny-nanny-nanny!

Two: notice the NC State fans still hate UNC worse than Wake Forest. To
quote:
-------
N.C. State sophomore Timothy Cobb, 19, describes his allegiances this way:
loves N.C. State; likes Wake Forest; can tolerate Duke; has a bitter hatred
for North Carolina.
-------
How stupid is that? Wake beats you at home after a sucker-punch in the
groin, and you STILL hate Carolina worse? What are you, freaking STUPID? NC
State must really be a school for a bunch of farmers after all.

Anyway.
-----------

From
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/2266670p-8646139c.html

For a die-hard Duke or N.C. State fan, watching North Carolina partake in
the Final Four feast can be as insufferable as bad barbecue.
But some Wolfpack and Blue Devil fans have discovered a cure for this
weeklong ailment: the back-handed compliment. See how many you can detect.

"As bad as McCants' attitude is, they're a great team to watch," said Duke
senior Ross Miller, 22, referring to North Carolina's enigmatic shooting
guard.

Miller, who is from Oklahoma City, said he will actually be rooting for the
Tar Heels against Michigan State on Saturday.

He said there's great appeal in watching a team so loaded with talent that
it can beat most teams by 30 points -- even though it often falls well short
of that.

(Need a reference point? The 88-82 win Sunday over Wisconsin to seal a trip
to St. Louis.)

Other Duke fans express relief that North Carolina has returned to the upper
echelon of college basketball. Duke, they point out, had won 15 of the
rivals' last 17 meetings before its loss this month to the Tar Heels.

Kim Snyder, a 1992 Duke grad and general manager of Devine's Restaurant and
Sports Bar in Durham, said this dominance had many Duke fans wondering
whether it was time to look for a new archrival. (Maryland, perhaps?)

"We want the rivalry," she said, before quickly clarifying that she still
wants to win all the time.

David Jackson, a longtime Durham resident, is blase about North Carolina's
being on the verge of an NCAA title, which would be the school's fourth.

"I wish they weren't, but they've earned it," Jackson said while sipping a
beer at Charlie's Neighborhood Bar & Grill in Durham. "However, I'll be
pulling for Michigan State."

Jackson, 58, said UNC's success is easier to accept because Duke made a
respectable run to the Sweet 16 before losing to a tough Michigan State
team.

"It's not like we lost to Bucknell," he said, referring to third-seed
Kansas' first round loss to the 14th-seed Bison.

Many N.C. State fans, meanwhile, are less subtle in expressing their dislike
for North Carolina basketball.

"It sucks," said N.C. State junior Brian Mabes of UNC's trip to the Final
Four. "It's good that an ACC team made it, but I wish it was any other team
instead of Carolina."

Mabes, 21, will be rooting for Illinois this weekend.

Other State fans take issue with what they see as a lack of toughness in the
UNC team and its fans.

"I respect their talent, but they don't have any heart," said N.C. State
junior Jordan Pierce, who attended all three of the Wolfpack's NCAA
tournament games.

Pierce, 21, said too many UNC followers are fair weather fans who
incessantly boast about their team only when it's good.

"Where were [the fans] when Doherty was running them into the ground?" asked
Pierce, referring to the Tar Heels' former coach, Matt Doherty, who left
after three seasons.

Pierce will be rooting for Louisville to win it all this weekend.

N.C. State sophomore Timothy Cobb, 19, describes his allegiances this way:
loves N.C. State; likes Wake Forest; can tolerate Duke; has a bitter hatred
for North Carolina.

And yet this weekend, Cobb might be the most reluctant Tar Heels fan in the
state.

"I have to support the ACC," he said with a grimace. "That takes
precedence."

31 Mar 2005 15:01:41
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Heels-Haters Hone Back-Ended Praise

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <noone@noone.com > wrote

> How stupid is that? Wake beats you at home after a sucker-punch in the
> groin, and you STILL hate Carolina worse? What are you, freaking STUPID?

RTFM. The stupid hat isn't wear you think it is.

> NC State must really be a school for a bunch of farmers after all.

State turned you down, didn't they?

--Tedward

31 Mar 2005 15:40:47
Geoffrey F. Green
Re: Heels-Haters Hone Back-Ended Praise

In article <d2hkvv$5qg$1@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu >,
"Edward M. Kennedy" <nospam@baconburger.com > wrote:

> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <noone@noone.com> wrote
>
> > How stupid is that? Wake beats you at home after a sucker-punch in the
> > groin, and you STILL hate Carolina worse? What are you, freaking STUPID?
>
> RTFM. The stupid hat isn't wear you think it is.

Wear is it? On his hed?

- geoff

31 Mar 2005 16:11:35

"Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-usenet2@stuebegreen.com > wrote

> > > How stupid is that? Wake beats you at home after a sucker-punch in the
> > > groin, and you STILL hate Carolina worse? What are you, freaking STUPID?
> >
> > RTFM. The stupid hat isn't wear you think it is.
>
> Wear is it? On his hed?

Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.

--Tedward

31 Mar 2005 15:50:26
Drew

"Edward M. Kennedy" <nospam@baconburger.com > wrote in message news:d2hp30$7kk$1@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu...
> "Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-usenet2@stuebegreen.com> wrote

> > > RTFM. The stupid hat isn't wear you think it is.
> >
> > Wear is it? On his hed?
>
> Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.

Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory of
this new nickname...

Drew

01 Apr 2005 00:33:14
Donnie Barnes

On Thu, 31 Mar, Drew wrote:
>> Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.
>
> Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory of
> this new nickname...

You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE ALONE.

--Donnie

31 Mar 2005 18:52:11
Drew

"Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar, Drew wrote:
>>> Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.
>>
>> Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory of
>> this new nickname...
>
> You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE ALONE.

I now know more than I ever, EVER, wanted to know about
the two of you. NTTIAWWT...

Drew

31 Mar 2005 20:16:04
Geoffrey F. Green

In article <424c9bf7$1_1@127.0.0.1 >, "Drew" <yeah@right.not> wrote:

> "Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory of
> >> this new nickname...
> >
> > You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE ALONE.
>
> I now know more than I ever, EVER, wanted to know about
> the two of you. NTTIAWWT...

Donnie's my bitch.

- geoff

31 Mar 2005 20:01:08
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=
Re: Heels-Haters Hone Back-Ended Praise

Donnie Barnes <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote in
<news:slrnd4p5gq.518.djbSPAMSUCKS@localhost.localdomain >:

> On Thu, 31 Mar, Drew wrote:
>>> Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.
>>
>> Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory
>> of this new nickname...
>
> You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE
> ALONE.

Does Thacker know about this?

01 Apr 2005 02:46:48
Charlie Board

Q wrote:
> Donnie Barnes <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote in

>>>Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory
>>>of this new nickname...
>>
>>You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE
>>ALONE.
>

> Does Thacker know about this?

Where the hell has Thacker been anyway?

01 Apr 2005 02:42:06
Donnie Barnes

On Fri, 01 Apr, Q wrote:
> Donnie Barnes <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote in

>>> Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory
>>> of this new nickname...
>>
>> You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE
>> ALONE.
>
> Does Thacker know about this?

Does he *need* to? I mean really *need* to?

--Donnie

01 Apr 2005 03:46:52
Donnie Barnes

On Fri, 01 Apr, Charlie Board wrote:
> Q wrote:
>> Does Thacker know about this?
>
> Where the hell has Thacker been anyway?

I'll never tell. I mean, err, I don't know.

--Donnie

01 Apr 2005 11:24:12
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: Heels-Haters Hone Back-Ended Praise

"Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com > wrote

> >> Shut up, Nancy, I meant to do that.
> >
> > Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory of
> > this new nickname...
>
> You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE ALONE.

Shut up, Betsy.

--Tedward

01 Apr 2005 12:05:25
tadamsmar

Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> "Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote

> > > Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory
of
> > > this new nickname...
> >
> > You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE
ALONE.

> Shut up, Betsy.
>
> --Tedward

Shut up, Mary Joe.

01 Apr 2005 12:06:41
tadamsmar

Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> "Donnie Barnes" <djbSPAMSUCKS@donniebarnes.com> wrote

> > > Geoff better hope that the great sports desert erases all memory
of
> > > this new nickname...
> >
> > You boys need to BACK OFF. That's *my* name for Geoff and MINE
ALONE.

> Shut up, Betsy.
>
> --Tedward

Shut up, Mary Jo.