28 Nov 2005 17:01:57
Edward M. Kennedy
AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

Memphis plays Duke tough in its loss and moves up two spots.
Gonzaga beat MSU but lost to UConn at the buzzer and moves
up two spots. WV, with three straight, even if good, losses
rightly dropped out, as did Syracuse for losing to Bucknell[1].
Color me confused because it usually isn't this logical.

1. Big Least, Indeed.[2]

2. Actually WV is pretty good, but those three losses could
really hurt their seeding in March if they lose to OK and
UCLA (no quality OOC wins).

--Tedward

29 Nov 2005 05:43:33
mollusk
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> Memphis plays Duke tough in its loss and moves up two spots.
> Gonzaga beat MSU but lost to UConn at the buzzer and moves
> up two spots. WV, with three straight, even if good, losses
> rightly dropped out, as did Syracuse for losing to Bucknell[1].
> Color me confused because it usually isn't this logical.
>

> 1. Big Least, Indeed.[2]
>
> 2. Actually WV is pretty good, but those three losses could
> really hurt their seeding in March if they lose to OK and
> UCLA (no quality OOC wins).
>
> --Tedward

The answer to your question is "no".

Exhibit 1: In the "also receiving votes": North Carolina with 16
votes.

Exhibit 2: Florida at #11. I'm a fan but this is WAY too high. I
think the Wake and 'Cuse victories will not look so good as the season
wears on.

29 Nov 2005 10:47:13
FrisbeeŽ
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

"mollusk" <afn02703@afn.org > wrote in message

> Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
>> Memphis plays Duke tough in its loss and moves up two spots.
>> Gonzaga beat MSU but lost to UConn at the buzzer and moves
>> up two spots. WV, with three straight, even if good, losses
>> rightly dropped out, as did Syracuse for losing to Bucknell[1].
>> Color me confused because it usually isn't this logical.
>>

>> 1. Big Least, Indeed.[2]
>>
>> 2. Actually WV is pretty good, but those three losses could
>> really hurt their seeding in March if they lose to OK and
>> UCLA (no quality OOC wins).
>>
>> --Tedward
>
> The answer to your question is "no".
>
> Exhibit 1: In the "also receiving votes": North Carolina with 16
> votes.
>
> Exhibit 2: Florida at #11. I'm a fan but this is WAY too high. I
> think the Wake and 'Cuse victories will not look so good as the season
> wears on.

I really don't think there's a whole lot of risk of Florida moving much, if
any higher in either poll. As a Gator fan, I remember what happened the
last two times they moved into the #1 position, and I'm sure the voters do,
too. On the other hand, I'm truly impressed with this group. They'll
almost certainly be 7-0 after this Saturday, and that's only ever happened
two other times in the program's history. Their current 6-0 last happened
in the 1984/85 season, it's a first for Billy D. but that's only because our
sixth game last night was against Alabama State. The last three times the
Gators went 5-0, the played a real team their sixth game.

This group of kids are playing unselfishly, with I believe all five starters
averaging in double digits. They're playing great D, as well. I've read
that this group is more coachable into Billy's kind of game, much like the
2000 NCAA finals team was. Not that they'll make it that far this year, of
course, but if this trend continues, they might be a force to recon with
next year with only one departing senior, who's not even a starter.

Providence and Miami should be the only real challenges the Gators face
before conference play starts.

29 Nov 2005 08:44:51
mollusk
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

Frisbee=AE wrote:
> "mollusk" <afn02703@afn.org> wrote in message
> >
> > Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
> >> Memphis plays Duke tough in its loss and moves up two spots.
> >> Gonzaga beat MSU but lost to UConn at the buzzer and moves
> >> up two spots. WV, with three straight, even if good, losses
> >> rightly dropped out, as did Syracuse for losing to Bucknell[1].
> >> Color me confused because it usually isn't this logical.
> >>

> >> 1. Big Least, Indeed.[2]
> >>
> >> 2. Actually WV is pretty good, but those three losses could
> >> really hurt their seeding in March if they lose to OK and
> >> UCLA (no quality OOC wins).
> >>
> >> --Tedward
> >
> > The answer to your question is "no".
> >
> > Exhibit 1: In the "also receiving votes": North Carolina with 16
> > votes.
> >
> > Exhibit 2: Florida at #11. I'm a fan but this is WAY too high. I
> > think the Wake and 'Cuse victories will not look so good as the season
> > wears on.
>
> I really don't think there's a whole lot of risk of Florida moving much, =
if
> any higher in either poll. As a Gator fan, I remember what happened the
> last two times they moved into the #1 position, and I'm sure the voters d=
o,
> too. On the other hand, I'm truly impressed with this group. They'll
> almost certainly be 7-0 after this Saturday, and that's only ever happened
> two other times in the program's history. Their current 6-0 last happened
> in the 1984/85 season, it's a first for Billy D. but that's only because =
our
> sixth game last night was against Alabama State. The last three times the
> Gators went 5-0, the played a real team their sixth game.
>
> This group of kids are playing unselfishly, with I believe all five start=
ers
> averaging in double digits. They're playing great D, as well. I've read
> that this group is more coachable into Billy's kind of game, much like the
> 2000 NCAA finals team was. Not that they'll make it that far this year, =
of
> course, but if this trend continues, they might be a force to recon with
> next year with only one departing senior, who's not even a starter.
>
> Providence and Miami should be the only real challenges the Gators face
> before conference play starts.

I do like this team very much because they play smart and are
disciplined, but I don't think that they have near the talent level of
the 1999-2000 team. They may end up with a very gaudy record before
conference play begins. The @Providence and @Miami games will show if
they have the "stuff" to win at the house of a power confernece school.
This will an important test of their maturity as there is a serious
lack of upperclassmen on the team. If they do well they will be fine
in SEC play. If not they may be great at home and so-so on the road in
league play like many talented but youthful teams are.

29 Nov 2005 14:37:23
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

"mollusk" <afn02703@afn.org > wrote

>> Memphis plays Duke tough in its loss and moves up two spots.
>> Gonzaga beat MSU but lost to UConn at the buzzer and moves
>> up two spots. WV, with three straight, even if good, losses
>> rightly dropped out, as did Syracuse for losing to Bucknell[1].
>> Color me confused because it usually isn't this logical.
>>

>> 1. Big Least, Indeed.[2]
>>
>> 2. Actually WV is pretty good, but those three losses could
>> really hurt their seeding in March if they lose to OK and
>> UCLA (no quality OOC wins).
>>
>> --Tedward
>
> The answer to your question is "no".
>
> Exhibit 1: In the "also receiving votes": North Carolina with 16
> votes.

Have you seen them? I am mildly concerned that is justified, not
that I think they deserve to crack the top 25 myself. Fortunately
they have a lousy coach and a horrible freshman class.

> Exhibit 2: Florida at #11. I'm a fan but this is WAY too high. I
> think the Wake and 'Cuse victories will not look so good as the season
> wears on.

Maybe, but for now they look good.

--Tedward

29 Nov 2005 15:36:45
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

"mollusk" <afn02703@afn.org > wrote

> I do like this team very much because they play smart and are
> disciplined, but I don't think that they have near the talent level of
> the 1999-2000 team. They may end up with a very gaudy record before
> conference play begins. The @Providence and @Miami games will show if
> they have the "stuff" to win at the house of a power confernece school.

I don't know about Miami, who lost to Air Force, being much of a
test.

Interestingly enough, Providence is playing Wichita St. tomorrow.
That should be a decent yardstick.

--Tedward

29 Nov 2005 15:52:52
FrisbeeŽ
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

"Edward M. Kennedy" <nospam@baconburger.com > wrote in message
> "mollusk" <afn02703@afn.org> wrote
>
>> I do like this team very much because they play smart and are
>> disciplined, but I don't think that they have near the talent level of
>> the 1999-2000 team. They may end up with a very gaudy record before
>> conference play begins. The @Providence and @Miami games will show if
>> they have the "stuff" to win at the house of a power confernece school.
>
> I don't know about Miami, who lost to Air Force, being much of a
> test.

Miami beat the Gators in Gainesville last year, and FSU beat them in Tally,
so they'd lost to their two in-state rivals. This year they play Miami in
Miami. Learning that they'd lost to Air Force lessens my anxiety a little.

> Interestingly enough, Providence is playing Wichita St. tomorrow.
> That should be a decent yardstick.

I don't recall where the Gator/Providence game is being played, but if it's
not at UF, that could be a test for the Gators. Hell, it's a test if it is
at home.

29 Nov 2005 16:33:00
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: AP Making Sense?!?!?!?!?!

"FrisbeeŽ" <billLASTNAME@yahoo.com > wrote

> > Interestingly enough, Providence is playing Wichita St. tomorrow.
>> That should be a decent yardstick.
>
> I don't recall where the Gator/Providence game is being played, but if it's not at UF, that could be a test for the
> Gators. Hell, it's a test if it is at home.

Their leading scorer (13 ppg last year) left the team and
only one player with significant experience returns. You
might have to wait. They had to come back in the second
half to beat 0-3 Fairfield by three. St. Joes beat the
same Fairfield team 72-41.

Fairfields other loss was a close one at St. Francis, so I
really don't know if they are terrible, and therefore how
pathetic Providence might be. Tomorrow we'll know a lot
more.

--Tedward