23 Nov 2004 04:15:52
Ar Q
ACC is a hoax

Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.




23 Nov 2004 00:02:45
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com > wrote

> Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.

Were it not for Duke's defense, you might have a point instead
of a troll, whoever wasn't guarding that hot 3 point shooting
transfer notwithstanding.

I didn't see the GT game. On the surface it don't look good.
Fortunately it is only November. I have no feel for this season.
This Duke team could be one of those surprise cohesive units,
like the ones in 92 or 94. They could also be midiocre good.
I'm not terribly optimistic. Shavlik's surgery has not seemed
to do much good yet. Jay Jay Reddick has not continued his
development except in the all-around area. He's pretty good
and occaisionally great -- a perfect sixth man if his defense
were any better.

Sheldon Williams is serious beef but has trouble going it alone.
Guards by committee can sometimes work but it is vulnerable.
Duke's problem this year is that we have exploitable weaknesses
in almost every facet of the game, so we are bound to lose
our fair share of the close ones.

We are two injuries away from disaster. A single key injury
could be extremely unpleasant, and losing Williams is as bad
if not worse than losing any other two players.

The fact that we are doomed is offset by K's ability to get the
most out of what he has. We do not want Reggie Love on the
court, but if he is there, he will do his job.

I think Greenspan would agree that Duke exhuberance is very
irrational, though he would still be somewhat bullish.

--Tedward

I, for one, will be stocking up on gin just in, and by the, case




23 Nov 2004 00:21:36
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Edward M. Kennedy" <nospam@baconburger.com > wrote

> We are two injuries away from disaster.

I should clarify. Any team that loses its two best players is
obviously in a world of hurt. Some deep teams, and that
evil Nolan Richardson comes to mind, could weather that
and still be good, but whatever. Richardson could lose a
second team wingman and guard and not miss a beat. He
could also be mediocre, but life is such and such is life.

Duke should fear losing a single player in the main rotation.
Losing two is probably unfathomable, especially at the same
position. Williams + Randolph = no post season. Ewing +
Dockery or Reddick = NIT, though there is some hope of a
miracle.

If everyone stays healthy and PROGRESSES, I am optimistic.

At this particular moment, I'm fairly concerned, at least as
as a Duke/ACC fan. Put these same players in Princeton and
I'd be wondering which 4/5 seed we take out in March. If
we pull off the next upset the FF is very realistic.

--Ted




23 Nov 2004 01:28:45
John Thacker
Re: ACC is a hoax

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:15:52 +0000, Ar Q wrote:

> Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.

Duke won by 13. Even taking away the garbage, you have to take away
a lot to get to "didn't deserve." OK fine, take away Ewing's shot.

Davidson's not a bad team, and it was at a neutral site. UIC is a pretty
solid team too, and I'm impressed that Hewitt had the guts to play at
there; not many top programs would.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both UIC and Davidson in the NCAA
Tournament this year. Quality wins, both of them.

John Thacker
--
"In the minds of the public, prices apparently go up when businesses suddenly
start to feel greedier. Economists, in contrast, expect businesses to be
greedy year-in, year-out; but depending on market conditions, greed may call
for prices to go up, go down, or stay the same."-- Bryan Caplan



23 Nov 2004 08:39:27
joseph jeong
Re: ACC is a hoax

Ar Q <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com > was rumored to have said:
> Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.

if you shoot better (41.1% to 34.4%), outrebound them (45 to 39
rebounds), and more importantly outscore them, you don't deserve to win?

i didn't see the game since i couldn't find it on the TV, but from what i
hear, Illnois-Chicago played well but we shut them down offensively
towards the end to pull it away. so it wasn't some controversial
officiating that gave Tech the win, so i don't see the issue here.

ai.... Jack had 4 assist and 7 turnovers, i can see why the game was so
close now, we had 20 turnovers to their 12.




-joseph


23 Nov 2004 07:25:34
Tom Adams
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com > wrote in message news:<YPyod.1671$NU3.460@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.

ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.

If you beat us, we will assimilate you.


23 Nov 2004 11:22:20
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax


"Tom Adams" <tadamsmar@yahoo.com > wrote in message news:ea44f5a1.0411230725.2f892dee@posting.google.com...
> "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:<YPyod.1671$NU3.460@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
>
> ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
>
> If you beat us, we will assimilate you.




23 Nov 2004 11:27:38
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Tom Adams" <tadamsmar@yahoo.com > wrote:

> > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
>
> ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
>
> If you beat us, we will assimilate you.

UConn is next. I hate UConn. You bastid. I hate even
driving through Connecticut and its $10 per gallon gas
stations.

The damb state is even on the Atlantic ocean fer cryin'
out loud. Done deal. Their football program is even
better than Duke.

Can we somehow at least get Princeton out of this deal?

--Tedward




23 Nov 2004 10:49:25
Drew
Re: ACC is a hoax

"John Thacker" <thacker@math.cornell.edu > wrote in message news:pan.2004.11.23.06.28.15.68759@math.cornell.edu...
>
> Davidson's not a bad team, and it was at a neutral site. UIC is a pretty
> solid team too, and I'm impressed that Hewitt had the guts to play at
> there; not many top programs would.

I can't speak for Davidson, but UIC is a very good Horizon league team.
I think I heard on Chicago radio the other day that they've made the
NCAAs three years in a row? Even if that's not accurate, I was pretty
impressed to see GT come to town. Kudos to them for rallying - it would
have been a very understandable early season loss.

Drew






23 Nov 2004 17:59:29
joseph jeong
Re: ACC is a hoax

Drew <yeah@right.not > was rumored to have said:

> I can't speak for Davidson, but UIC is a very good Horizon league team.
> I think I heard on Chicago radio the other day that they've made the
> NCAAs three years in a row? Even if that's not accurate, I was pretty
> impressed to see GT come to town. Kudos to them for rallying - it would
> have been a very understandable early season loss.

Hewiit was raving about the speed UIC's guard had when he was asked
about the next opponent after the Alabama State game.

it's only two games, so i'm still not going to worry about the poor
shooting shown thus far.



-joseph


23 Nov 2004 13:05:33
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Drew" <yeah@right.not > wrote:

> > Davidson's not a bad team, and it was at a neutral site. UIC is a pretty
> > solid team too, and I'm impressed that Hewitt had the guts to play at
> > there; not many top programs would.
>
> I can't speak for Davidson, but UIC is a very good Horizon league team.
> I think I heard on Chicago radio the other day that they've made the
> NCAAs three years in a row? Even if that's not accurate, I was pretty
> impressed to see GT come to town. Kudos to them for rallying - it would
> have been a very understandable early season loss.

Barely understandable, IMHO. They have plenty of returning
players, and good teams don't lose at Clemson either. Unless
you have a player out losing these games is a fairly expensive
proposition for potential 1-3 seeds, which GT is. If you finish
strong it makes early season stuff less important.

--Ted




23 Nov 2004 10:12:33
Tom Adams
Re: ACC is a hoax

tadamsmar@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote in message news:<ea44f5a1.0411230725.2f892dee@posting.google.com >...
> "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:<YPyod.1671$NU3.460@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
>
> ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
>
> If you beat us, we will assimilate you.

Beat us in ratings or market share I mean. You can beat us at
basketball without fear.


23 Nov 2004 15:15:50
John Thacker
Re: ACC is a hoax

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:05:33 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

> Barely understandable, IMHO. They have plenty of returning
> players, and good teams don't lose at Clemson either.

Still taunting the Carolina fans, eh Ted?

John Thacker
--
"In the minds of the public, prices apparently go up when businesses suddenly
start to feel greedier. Economists, in contrast, expect businesses to be
greedy year-in, year-out; but depending on market conditions, greed may call
for prices to go up, go down, or stay the same."-- Bryan Caplan



23 Nov 2004 15:41:14
Edward M. Kennedy
Re: ACC is a hoax

"John Thacker" <thacker@math.cornell.edu > wrote:

> > Barely understandable, IMHO. They have plenty of returning
> > players, and good teams don't lose at Clemson either.
>
> Still taunting the Carolina fans, eh Ted?

Huh?! You seem to be implying there is some situation where
taunting Carolina fans should stop...?

Anybody else notice that Sean May has *really* skinny shins?
So does Deng, for that matter, but he went pro. You have to
wonder if those two aren't more prone to break a leg.

--Tedward

Woof! Woof!
Meow.




23 Nov 2004 13:57:05
Pauli G
Re: ACC is a hoax

tadamsmar@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote in message news:<ea44f5a1.0411231012.63b2d068@posting.google.com >...
> tadamsmar@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote in message news:<ea44f5a1.0411230725.2f892dee@posting.google.com>...
> > "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:<YPyod.1671$NU3.460@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
> >
> > ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
> >
> > If you beat us, we will assimilate you.
>
> Beat us in ratings or market share I mean. You can beat us at
> basketball without fear.

Wrong. You must be a football powerhouse to be assimilated by ACC,
Inc. Basketball in now irrelevant: Football, Football, Football.


23 Nov 2004 19:24:02
John Thacker
Re: ACC is a hoax

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:41:14 -0500, Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

> "John Thacker" <thacker@math.cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> > Barely understandable, IMHO. They have plenty of returning
>> > players, and good teams don't lose at Clemson either.
>>
>> Still taunting the Carolina fans, eh Ted?
>
> Huh?! You seem to be implying there is some situation where
> taunting Carolina fans should stop...?

Nah, I just thought someone might miss it, buried in the middle of that
paragraph of yours.

John Thacker


23 Nov 2004 20:45:14
Pauli G
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Edward M. Kennedy" <nospam@baconburger.com > wrote in message news:<cnvoe3$f55$1@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu>...
> "Tom Adams" <tadamsmar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
> >
> > ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
> >
> > If you beat us, we will assimilate you.
>
> UConn is next. I hate UConn. You bastid. I hate even
> driving through Connecticut and its $10 per gallon gas
> stations.
>
> The damb state is even on the Atlantic ocean fer cryin'
> out loud. Done deal. Their football program is even
> better than Duke.
>

Alas, you are stuck with the *other* New England school, the
ever-exciting BC. "Have Fun" watching the mediocrity that passes for
a basketball program. What a perfect fit: urban northeastern catholic
school to go along with tobacco road. Makes perfect sense. Nearest
rival is what? Maryland?


24 Nov 2004 10:46:09
Edward M. Kennedy
Deer Cheknya, was: ACC is a hoax

"Pauli G" <rioroad@hotmail.com > wrote:

> > > ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
> > >
> > > If you beat us, we will assimilate you.
> >
> > UConn is next. I hate UConn. You bastid. I hate even
> > driving through Connecticut and its $10 per gallon gas
> > stations.
> >
> > The damb state is even on the Atlantic ocean fer cryin'
> > out loud. Done deal. Their football program is even
> > better than Duke.
>
> Alas, you are stuck with the *other* New England school, the
> ever-exciting BC. "Have Fun" watching the mediocrity that passes for
> a basketball program. What a perfect fit: urban northeastern catholic
> school to go along with tobacco road. Makes perfect sense. Nearest
> rival is what? Maryland?

Yet another reason to ASSimilate Yukon. Thanks a lot, NOT!

Boston! Holy mother of crap. Massachusetts. Jeebus H. Christ
on a pogo stick. I suppose BC headache powders actually still
have a market down here, but it othewise dumbfounds me that
anyone could put BC in the ACC.

Maybe we can get Aeroflot to put a hub in Boston...

--Tedward

With a rebel yell




24 Nov 2004 10:57:16
Diamondback
Re: ACC is a hoax

That's still a four hour-plus drive north from College Park. Hey, maybe
next time the ACC expands we can invite SMU? That would certainly help
broaden the cultural religious experience across the conference.

> Alas, you are stuck with the *other* New England school, the
> ever-exciting BC. "Have Fun" watching the mediocrity that passes for
> a basketball program. What a perfect fit: urban northeastern catholic
> school to go along with tobacco road. Makes perfect sense. Nearest
> rival is what? Maryland?




24 Nov 2004 10:02:33
Tom Adams
Re: ACC is a hoax

rioroad@hotmail.com (Pauli G) wrote in message news:<dc2a640f.0411231357.5de8f2f6@posting.google.com >...
> tadamsmar@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote in message news:<ea44f5a1.0411231012.63b2d068@posting.google.com>...
> > tadamsmar@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote in message news:<ea44f5a1.0411230725.2f892dee@posting.google.com>...
> > > "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:<YPyod.1671$NU3.460@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > > > Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
> > >
> > > ACC is borg, an entity that survives by assimilating.
> > >
> > > If you beat us, we will assimilate you.
> >
> > Beat us in ratings or market share I mean. You can beat us at
> > basketball without fear.
>
> Wrong. You must be a football powerhouse to be assimilated by ACC,
> Inc. Basketball in now irrelevant: Football, Football, Football.

That's true for now. But helmets will not be needed to hide the ACC's
next generation of miniaturized borg hardware.


24 Nov 2004 11:17:26
Pauli G
Re: ACC is a hoax

"Diamondback" <diamondback@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<C4idne8mFfvHMjncRVn-1A@cablespeedmd.com>...
> That's still a four hour-plus drive north from College Park. Hey, maybe
> next time the ACC expands we can invite SMU? That would certainly help
> broaden the cultural religious experience across the conference.
>

Why not http://www.paris4.sorbonne.fr/en/sommaire.php3? About as good a fit as BC.


25 Nov 2004 16:20:16
Jeremy Chapman
Re: ACC is a hoax

"John Thacker" <thacker@math.cornell.edu > wrote in message
news:pan.2004.11.23.06.28.15.68759@math.cornell.edu...
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:15:52 +0000, Ar Q wrote:
>
>> Georgia Tech and Duke did not deserve the wins tonight.
>
> Duke won by 13. Even taking away the garbage, you have to take away
> a lot to get to "didn't deserve." OK fine, take away Ewing's shot.
>
> Davidson's not a bad team, and it was at a neutral site. UIC is a pretty
> solid team too, and I'm impressed that Hewitt had the guts to play at
> there; not many top programs would.

Davidson is a good team, but the site was only neutral in theory, even
though the Wildcats were the closer school to the Charlotte venue. There
are probably more Duke fans in Charlotte than there are Davidson alums, but
that's just a guess.

If you're Duke or UNC, playing a game in the state of NC that on isn't the
opposing team's home floor usually results in a "home" crowd. I'm not
trying to sound like I'm complaining - I've just noticed that it's usually
the reality of the situation.




25 Nov 2004 19:25:56
Donnie Barnes
Re: ACC is a hoax

On Thu, 25 Nov, Jeremy Chapman wrote:
> Davidson is a good team, but the site was only neutral in theory, even
> though the Wildcats were the closer school to the Charlotte venue. There
> are probably more Duke fans in Charlotte than there are Davidson alums, but
> that's just a guess.
>
> If you're Duke or UNC, playing a game in the state of NC that on isn't the
> opposing team's home floor usually results in a "home" crowd. I'm not
> trying to sound like I'm complaining - I've just noticed that it's usually
> the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is Davidson students turned out pretty decent
and not much else did. The place was pretty much bone empty from what I
saw. I don't know if attendance figures are available and I'm too lazy to
look them up, but I'm betting the last UNC/Davidson game in Charlotte got
at least three times more people.


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.