30 Aug 2005 21:15:15
Bucky
batter goofing off at the plate

Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
probably bean them.

30 Aug 2005 21:58:52
brink
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com > wrote in message
> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> probably bean them.

i've never heard of it.

i think a major difference between baseball and basketball is that baseball
is not a clock-based game. a 30-point lead with less than a minute to play
is a de facto automatic win; there's nothing that can be done to change the
outcome. however, in baseball, a 10-run lead in the bottom of the ninth
*can* be overcome, no matter how improbable that would be.

so goofing off like that would be tantamount to "disrespecting the game," if
you want to call it that. although it can't be too different than the stunt
that teams pull every now and then where a player will play every position
in a game.

brink

31 Aug 2005 03:00:43
David Marc Nieporent
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

In article <3nksunF217v1U1@individual.net >,
"brink" <brink@invalid.invalid > wrote:
>"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message

>> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
>> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
>> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
>> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
>> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
>> probably bean them.

>i've never heard of it.

Well, there was John Kruk, and later Larry Walker, vs. Randy Johnson. But
that was in the All-Star Game. (And that time, it didn't count.)

David M. Nieporent nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu

31 Aug 2005 14:32:57
colin campbell
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

In article <1125461715.581126.228500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com > wrote:

> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> probably bean them.

I think it was in MURDERER'S ROW that I read that near the end of the
1927 when he was chasing the 60-homer grail, Babe Ruth regretted goofing
off and batting right-handed in a couple of early-season blowouts.

31 Aug 2005 15:02:00
Dan Szymborski

@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >, uw_badgers@email.com says...
> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> probably bean them.

Well, there's Cristian Guzman - he simply *has* to be goofing
off to hit like that.

--
Dan Szymborski
dan@REMOVEbaseballprimer.com

"A critic who refuses to attack what is bad is not a
supporter of what is good."
- Robert Schumann

31 Aug 2005 20:10:00
Tom MacIntyre

On 30 Aug 2005 21:15:15 -0700, "Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com > wrote:

>Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
>hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
>like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
>the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
>or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
>probably bean them.

Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah took a table leg to the plate during a
Nolan Ryan no-hitter, as the last batter. Umpire Ron Luciano wouldn't
let him use it. From what I recall, Nolan said some nice things about
Cash in one of his books.

Tom

31 Aug 2005 20:17:47
Tom MacIntyre
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:10:00 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<tom__macintyre@hotmail.com > wrote:

>On 30 Aug 2005 21:15:15 -0700, "Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
>>hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
>>like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
>>the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
>>or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
>>probably bean them.
>
>Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah

Norm Cash, actually... :-)

Tom

>took a table leg to the plate during a
>Nolan Ryan no-hitter, as the last batter. Umpire Ron Luciano wouldn't
>let him use it. From what I recall, Nolan said some nice things about
>Cash in one of his books.
>
>Tom

31 Aug 2005 15:38:09
Lance Freezeland
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:17:47 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<tom__macintyre@hotmail.com > gave us:
>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:10:00 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
><tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On 30 Aug 2005 21:15:15 -0700, "Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:

>>>Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
>>>hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
>>>like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
>>>the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
>>>or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
>>>probably bean them.

>>Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah

>Norm Cash, actually... :-)

Huh. I just figured that you must be from Boston or something.

--
Lance

"There are three-hundred thousand sportswriters
and they're all against me. Every one of them."
-- Joaquin Andujar

John Gregory

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Tom MacIntyre wrote:

> >Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah
>
> Norm Cash, actually... :-)

Norm Cash played third? I think I'm better off searching
for a boxscore containing the elusive Mister Cah.

--
John Gregory ashbury at skypoint.com http://www.skypoint.com/tilde ashbury
Thought for the moment:

31 Aug 2005 16:40:51
Steve Grant
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:17:47 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<tom__macintyre@hotmail.com > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:10:00 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
><tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah
>
>Norm Cash, actually... :-)

First baseman, actually :-)

31 Aug 2005 22:21:48
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

Tom MacIntyre <tom__macintyre@hotmail.com > wrote:

> Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah took a table leg to the plate during a
> Nolan Ryan no-hitter, as the last batter. Umpire Ron Luciano wouldn't
> let him use it. From what I recall, Nolan said some nice things about
> Cash in one of his books.

Funniest story I ever heard about Norm Cash was either from Ron Luciano's
or Ernie Harwell's books, that the Tigers were playing a game in a
downpour and the umpire wouldn't stop the game, so Norm came up to bat
wearing glasses with little windshield wipers on them. The ump took
one look, started laughing, then tossed him. It must have been Luciano
because he admitted he didn't like players who were funnier than he was.

Jim
--
"I learned to write because I am one of those people who somehow cannot
manage the common communications of smiles and gestures, but must use

31 Aug 2005 22:41:34
Tom MacIntyre
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:40:51 -0400, Steve Grant <ACE1242@comcast.net >
wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:17:47 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
><tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:10:00 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
>><tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah
>>
>>Norm Cash, actually... :-)
>
>First baseman, actually :-)

Right... :-)

Tom

31 Aug 2005 22:42:02
Tom MacIntyre
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:49:48 -0500, John Gregory
<ashbury@mirage.skypoint.com > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>
>> >Tiger third-baseman Nor Cah
>>
>> Norm Cash, actually... :-)
>
>Norm Cash played third? I think I'm better off searching
>for a boxscore containing the elusive Mister Cah.

<BG >

Tom

01 Sep 2005 09:40:40
Gerry Myerson
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

In article <1125461715.581126.228500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com > wrote:

> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-baseball6-story,1,248669.
story?coll=cs-cubs-utility

ANY IDEA YOU MAY HAVE HAD that the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry is a recent
media creation may be dispelled by this tale: In 1952, the Redbirds'
Stan Musial and the Cubs' Frankie Baumholtz went into the last week of
the season locked in a race for the NL batting title. By the final game
on Sept. 28, the incomparable Cardinals hitter had pulled ahead by
nearly 10 points, but it was still mathematically possible for
Baumholtz to eke out the crown with a spectacular performance. With the
Cubs playing the Cards in St. Louis, outfielder Musial traded places
with starting pitcher Harvey Haddix in the first inning to pitch to
Baumholtz--the only major league pitching appearance of Musial's
22-year career. Baumholtz, a left-handed batter, batted right-handed
against the southpaw Musial, even though he was not a switch hitter. He
made contact, but did his average no good, reaching first base on an
error. Musial, his crown now safe, went back to the outfield. Some
might say it was all in fun and not a plot by Musial to sabotage
Baumholtz--but which version would you rather believe?

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i - > u for email)

31 Aug 2005 20:34:30
Bob-Nob
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

Bucky venit, vidit, et dixit:

> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> probably bean them.

Mike Schmidt, if memory serves, once played an entire game in a
heavy metal-esque wig. Anyone have pictures of that or remember it?

Catch you later.
--Robert Machemer

--
Robert Paul Aubrey Machemer | "For each time he falls, he shall
Amherst College, Math & Classics | rise again, and woe to the wicked!"

31 Aug 2005 20:43:54
Bob-Nob
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

Veni, vidi, et dixi:
> Bucky venit, vidit, et dixit:

>> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
>> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
>> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
>> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
>> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
>> probably bean them.

> Mike Schmidt, if memory serves, once played an entire game in a
> heavy metal-esque wig. Anyone have pictures of that or remember it?

Ok, seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/124762_fans03.html has a picture
of it, though other accounts of it suggest he only did it for infield
warmups. (Interesting -- if you like reading differing accounts of the
same action -- some online articles call it curly-haired, some call it
reggae-style, some call it a woman's wig... I'm not sure that any of these
descriptions are accurate. People can look at the picture and correct me
though.

Catch you later.
--Robert Machemer

--
Robert Paul Aubrey Machemer | "For each time he falls, he shall
Amherst College, Math & Classics | rise again, and woe to the wicked!"
IF1, IF3, IF9: best films, cast | --Don Quixote (Man of La Mancha)
IF's 3-Year Anniversary: 5/12 - 5/15... What are YOU doing this weekend?

01 Sep 2005 00:19:38
Rerics

Bucky wrote:
> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> probably bean them.

Not at the plate, but a little goofing off by a bullpen pitcher. At
Candlestick back in the 80's, they built a little enclosed shelter down
the baselines next to the stands where the bullpen pitchers could sit
during the game so they wouldn't be exposed to the Candlestick
elements. There was a door that could be opened or closed on the home
plate end of the enclosure. An opposing player hit a fair ball down
the right-field line that rolled into the enclosure, resulting in a
dead ball and an automatic double (according to the ground rules).
Immediately, Craig Lefferts in the bullpen closed the door. The right
fielder (Candy Maldanado?) didn't see this (as he was farther down the
line when this happened), nor did he know that the door had been open
originally. He comes over to where he thinks the ball is, sees
nothing, and frantically looks around for it thinking the batter is
going to keep running. All the while, you can see Lefferts and the
other bullpen pitchers laughing through the window of the enclosure.

Rerics

01 Sep 2005 14:33:11
Realto Margarino
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu > trolled:
> In article <3nksunF217v1U1@individual.net>,
> "brink" <brink@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message

> >> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> >> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> >> like that. In the NBA, players occasionally goof off near the end of
> >> the game when it's out of hand, like shooting a free throw left-handed
> >> or with the eyes closed. I'm guessing no, because the pitcher would
> >> probably bean them.

> >i've never heard of it.

> Well, there was John Kruk, and later Larry Walker, vs. Randy Johnson. But
> that was in the All-Star Game. (And that time, it didn't count.)

Once, during a rainy game in which the Jays were leading, it was the
bottom of a late inning, when Alfredo Griffin was at bat. The
pitcher threw the ball but it slipped out of his hand and went at
least 20 feet over Griffin's head. Griffin hesitated for a second
and then swung anyway, to get the strikeout against himself and
bring the game closer to completion.

cordially, as always,

rm

01 Sep 2005 13:24:47

"Realto Margarino" <rm@biteme.org > wrote in message
> David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu> trolled:
>> In article <3nksunF217v1U1@individual.net>,

>> >i've never heard of it.
>
>> Well, there was John Kruk, and later Larry Walker, vs. Randy Johnson.
>> But
>> that was in the All-Star Game. (And that time, it didn't count.)
>
> Once, during a rainy game in which the Jays were leading, it was the
> bottom of a late inning, when Alfredo Griffin was at bat. The
> pitcher threw the ball but it slipped out of his hand and went at
> least 20 feet over Griffin's head. Griffin hesitated for a second
> and then swung anyway, to get the strikeout against himself and
> bring the game closer to completion.

that's not goofing off--that's good strategy! ;-)

brink

03 Sep 2005 19:39:02
Steve

brink wrote:

> "Realto Margarino" <rm@biteme.org> wrote in message
>
>>David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu> trolled:

>>>Well, there was John Kruk, and later Larry Walker, vs. Randy Johnson.
>>>But
>>>that was in the All-Star Game. (And that time, it didn't count.)
>>
>>Once, during a rainy game in which the Jays were leading, it was the
>>bottom of a late inning, when Alfredo Griffin was at bat. The
>>pitcher threw the ball but it slipped out of his hand and went at
>>least 20 feet over Griffin's head. Griffin hesitated for a second
>>and then swung anyway, to get the strikeout against himself and
>>bring the game closer to completion.
>

> that's not goofing off--that's good strategy! ;-)
>
> brink

Heck - as soon as that pitch starts floating, swing early and run.
There's no way it's getting caught, and first base should be EASY.

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - Civil Engineering '05, MST '07 (Transportation)

03 Sep 2005 19:50:08
Kenny1111

Steve wrote:
> brink wrote:
>
>> "Realto Margarino" <rm@biteme.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu> trolled:

>>> Once, during a rainy game in which the Jays were leading, it was the
>>> bottom of a late inning, when Alfredo Griffin was at bat. The
>>> pitcher threw the ball but it slipped out of his hand and went at
>>> least 20 feet over Griffin's head. Griffin hesitated for a second
>>> and then swung anyway, to get the strikeout against himself and
>>> bring the game closer to completion.
>>

>> that's not goofing off--that's good strategy! ;-)
>>
>> brink
>>
> Heck - as soon as that pitch starts floating, swing early and run.
> There's no way it's getting caught, and first base should be EASY.

But not if there's a runner on 1B and less than two outs. Anyoen know
waht the baserunner-out situation was for Griffen?

03 Sep 2005 20:04:16
Steve

Kenny1111 wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>>brink wrote:
>>

>>>"Realto Margarino" <rm@biteme.org> wrote in message

>>>that's not goofing off--that's good strategy! ;-)
>>>
>>>brink
>>>

>>Heck - as soon as that pitch starts floating, swing early and run.
>>There's no way it's getting caught, and first base should be EASY.
>>

> But not if there's a runner on 1B and less than two outs. Anyoen know
> waht the baserunner-out situation was for Griffen?

The runner on first can run to second too - what's stopping him? A
pitch 20' high should get everyone to advance pretty easily, except
3rd-home.

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - Civil Engineering '05, MST '07 (Transportation)

03 Sep 2005 20:06:36
Kenny1111

Steve wrote:
> Kenny1111 wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> Heck - as soon as that pitch starts floating, swing early and run.
>>> There's no way it's getting caught, and first base should be EASY.
>>>

>> But not if there's a runner on 1B and less than two outs. Anyoen know
>> waht the baserunner-out situation was for Griffen?
>

> The runner on first can run to second too - what's stopping him? A
> pitch 20' high should get everyone to advance pretty easily, except
> 3rd-home.

True, but the batter is out. You can't run to first on a dropped 3rd
strike with a runner at first and less than 2-outs. It's an IF fly
rule-like protection for the offense, to prevent the catcher from
intentionally dropping a ball and getting a double play.

04 Sep 2005 02:40:18
Ryan Robbins

"Steve" <smalpert@hackmit.edu > wrote in message
>> But not if there's a runner on 1B and less than two outs. Anyoen know
>> waht the baserunner-out situation was for Griffen?
>
> The runner on first can run to second too - what's stopping him? A pitch
> 20' high should get everyone to advance pretty easily, except 3rd-home.

The batter is out, though, so there is no advantage to missing such a wild
pitch.

05 Sep 2005 00:16:51
Steve

Kenny1111 wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>>Kenny1111 wrote:

>>>But not if there's a runner on 1B and less than two outs. Anyoen know
>>>waht the baserunner-out situation was for Griffen?
>>

>>The runner on first can run to second too - what's stopping him? A
>>pitch 20' high should get everyone to advance pretty easily, except
>>3rd-home.
>>

> True, but the batter is out. You can't run to first on a dropped 3rd
> strike with a runner at first and less than 2-outs. It's an IF fly
> rule-like protection for the offense, to prevent the catcher from
> intentionally dropping a ball and getting a double play.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Thank you.

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - Civil Engineering '05, MST '07 (Transportation)

06 Sep 2005 09:54:29
Marcus
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com > wrote in message
> Has any batter ever goofed off at the plate when the game is out of
> hand? Like batting from the opposite side of the plate or something
> like that.

Look up Jimmy Piersall. There was a book and a movie, both titled, "Fear
Strikes Out," I believe. I think he once ran the wrong way around the bases,
after hitting a home run.

06 Sep 2005 10:44:02
Steve Grant
Re: batter goofing off at the plate

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:54:29 -0400, "Marcus"
<marcus153TAKETHISOUT@yahoo.com > wrote:

>Look up Jimmy Piersall. There was a book and a movie, both titled, "Fear
>Strikes Out," I believe. I think he once ran the wrong way around the bases,
>after hitting a home run.

Close. After hitting his 100th career HR he ran the bases in normal
order, but facing backwards as he ran.

06 Sep 2005 21:06:09
Marcus

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@comcast.net > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:54:29 -0400, "Marcus"
> <marcus153TAKETHISOUT@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Look up Jimmy Piersall. There was a book and a movie, both titled, "Fear
>>Strikes Out," I believe. I think he once ran the wrong way around the
>>bases,
>>after hitting a home run.
>
> Close. After hitting his 100th career HR he ran the bases in normal
> order, but facing backwards as he ran.

That makes more sense, actually. Here's a picture of it:
http://www.art.com/asp/display-asp/_/id--16533/Jimmy_Piersall.htm

06 Sep 2005 18:19:39
artyw2@yahoo.com

Steve Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:54:29 -0400, "Marcus"
> <marcus153TAKETHISOUT@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Look up Jimmy Piersall. There was a book and a movie, both titled, "Fear
> >Strikes Out," I believe. I think he once ran the wrong way around the bases,
> >after hitting a home run.
>
> Close. After hitting his 100th career HR he ran the bases in normal
> order, but facing backwards as he ran.
Did Marv Throneberry run the wrong way around the bases? (I thought he
did).