21 Dec 2007 16:09:15
Way Back Jack
Started Watching Baseball In 1953

Best Hitter: Ted Williams followed by the man who has been forgotten,
Stan "The Man" Musial.

Best All-Around: Willie Mays

Most Natural Ability: Mick Mantle (arguably)

Pitcher: Warren Spahn

Imagine those on 'roids, or even modern training techniques and diet.

Jacky Caesar
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

Who do you think hit the biggest homers?

After watching the DVD of the old 1959 Home Run Derby TV Show, I cant
believe anybody except maybe Babe Ruth ever hit balls further than Harmon
Killabrew.

Were McGwire's up there with the biggest or do you think Barry Bonds is the
distance king of all time?

Living in Australia, I never saw these guys in the flesh.

"Way Back Jack" <YoMomma@home.net > wrote in message
> Best Hitter: Ted Williams followed by the man who has been forgotten,
> Stan "The Man" Musial.
>
> Best All-Around: Willie Mays
>
> Most Natural Ability: Mick Mantle (arguably)
>
> Pitcher: Warren Spahn
>
> Imagine those on 'roids, or even modern training techniques and diet.

Way Back Jack
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

Recall Mantle crushing one 565' in the air off of Chuck Stobbs circa
1953.

I was in the boxes right behind the plate in May '66 when Frank
Robinson hit the only ball completely out of the old Memorial Stadium
in Baltimore. Pitcher was Luis Tiant. The drawings showed the ball
arcing as it left the stadium and it was calculated at 450' I say
BULLSHIT, the ball was still rising as it left the park.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:31:12 +1100, "Jacky Caesar"
<rooboy@connexus.net.au > wrote:

>Who do you think hit the biggest homers?
>
>After watching the DVD of the old 1959 Home Run Derby TV Show, I cant
>believe anybody except maybe Babe Ruth ever hit balls further than Harmon
>Killabrew.
>
>Were McGwire's up there with the biggest or do you think Barry Bonds is the
>distance king of all time?
>
>Living in Australia, I never saw these guys in the flesh.
>

>"Way Back Jack" <YoMomma@home.net> wrote in message
>> Best Hitter: Ted Williams followed by the man who has been forgotten,
>> Stan "The Man" Musial.
>>
>> Best All-Around: Willie Mays
>>
>> Most Natural Ability: Mick Mantle (arguably)
>>
>> Pitcher: Warren Spahn
>>
>> Imagine those on 'roids, or even modern training techniques and diet.
>>
>> --

Jacky Caesar
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

Yeah you always hear about Mantle and his tape-measure taters, but on the
DVD I mentioned earier, Killa goes up against Mantle, and even Micky cant
believe the thunder in Killabrews bat.

If you haven't seen that DVD, do yourself a favor. It's great, and for
Cardinals fans it has Ken Boyer on it. That is Volume 1.

"Way Back Jack" <staying@home.net > wrote in message

> Recall Mantle crushing one 565' in the air off of Chuck Stobbs circa
> 1953.
>
> I was in the boxes right behind the plate in May '66 when Frank
> Robinson hit the only ball completely out of the old Memorial Stadium
> in Baltimore. Pitcher was Luis Tiant. The drawings showed the ball
> arcing as it left the stadium and it was calculated at 450' I say
> BULLSHIT, the ball was still rising as it left the park.
>

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:31:12 +1100, "Jacky Caesar"
> <rooboy@connexus.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Who do you think hit the biggest homers?
>>
>>After watching the DVD of the old 1959 Home Run Derby TV Show, I cant
>>believe anybody except maybe Babe Ruth ever hit balls further than Harmon
>>Killabrew.
>>
>>Were McGwire's up there with the biggest or do you think Barry Bonds is
>>the
>>distance king of all time?
>>
>>Living in Australia, I never saw these guys in the flesh.
>>

>>"Way Back Jack" <YoMomma@home.net> wrote in message
>>> Best Hitter: Ted Williams followed by the man who has been forgotten,
>>> Stan "The Man" Musial.
>>>
>>> Best All-Around: Willie Mays
>>>
>>> Most Natural Ability: Mick Mantle (arguably)
>>>
>>> Pitcher: Warren Spahn
>>>
>>> Imagine those on 'roids, or even modern training techniques and diet.
>>>
>>> --

Way Back Jack
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:13:02 +1100, "Jacky Caesar"
<rooboy@connexus.net.au > wrote:

>Yeah you always hear about Mantle and his tape-measure taters, but on the
>DVD I mentioned earier, Killa goes up against Mantle, and even Micky cant
>believe the thunder in Killabrews bat.
>
>If you haven't seen that DVD, do yourself a favor. It's great, and for
>Cardinals fans it has Ken Boyer on it. That is Volume 1.

I've seen the "Killer" also know as "The Brew" by black players, do
his thing at the ball park and on TV many times.

Frank Howard hit some monstrous shots too, as well as unbelievable
line drives that reached the outfield walls in an instant. Like damn
bullets. That man was frightening.

And when they talk about pitching speed, do a google on Steve
Dalkowski. Not big at 5'11" but some estimate he threw 115 mph.
Unfortunately, he had no control and never made the bigs. Was also a
drunkard and that didn't help his career.

Another really hard throwing boozer with poor eye vision, real thick
glasses, was Ryne Duren. Lasted about 10 yrs. as a reliever. To
frighten batters, he'd purposely throw the ball over the catcher's
head while warming up. One time he faced 2nd base looking for the
catcher to warm up. Anything to intimidate and get the edge.
____________

>"Way Back Jack" <staying@home.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Recall Mantle crushing one 565' in the air off of Chuck Stobbs circa
>> 1953.
>>
>> I was in the boxes right behind the plate in May '66 when Frank
>> Robinson hit the only ball completely out of the old Memorial Stadium
>> in Baltimore. Pitcher was Luis Tiant. The drawings showed the ball
>> arcing as it left the stadium and it was calculated at 450' I say
>> BULLSHIT, the ball was still rising as it left the park.
>>

>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:31:12 +1100, "Jacky Caesar"
>> <rooboy@connexus.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>>Who do you think hit the biggest homers?
>>>
>>>After watching the DVD of the old 1959 Home Run Derby TV Show, I cant
>>>believe anybody except maybe Babe Ruth ever hit balls further than Harmon
>>>Killabrew.
>>>
>>>Were McGwire's up there with the biggest or do you think Barry Bonds is
>>>the
>>>distance king of all time?
>>>
>>>Living in Australia, I never saw these guys in the flesh.
>>>

>>>"Way Back Jack" <YoMomma@home.net> wrote in message

grossman

On Jan 4, 8:01=EF=BF=BDam, h...@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote:

> Frank Howard hit some monstrous shots too, as well as unbelievable
> line drives that reached the outfield walls in an instant. =EF=BF=BDLike d=
amn
> bullets. =EF=BF=BDThat man was frightening.

Richie Allen did the same thing. Bullet line drives to the wall.

05 Jan 2008 12:34:55
Way Back Jack
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:39:22 -0800 (PST), grossman <SavoyBG@aol.com >
wrote:

>On Jan 4, 8:01=EF=BF=BDam, h...@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote:
>
>> Frank Howard hit some monstrous shots too, as well as unbelievable
>> line drives that reached the outfield walls in an instant. =EF=BF=BDLike d=
>amn
>> bullets. =EF=BF=BDThat man was frightening.
>
>Richie Allen did the same thing. Bullet line drives to the wall.

Yes.

$1 million dollar natural talent but a 5-cent attitude.

His performance-enhancing drug was 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.

05 Jan 2008 15:42:39
Way Back Jack

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:34:55 GMT, here@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:39:22 -0800 (PST), grossman <SavoyBG@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Jan 4, 8:01=EF=BF=BDam, h...@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote:
>>
>>> Frank Howard hit some monstrous shots too, as well as unbelievable
>>> line drives that reached the outfield walls in an instant. =EF=BF=BDLike d=
>>amn
>>> bullets. =EF=BF=BDThat man was frightening.
>>
>>Richie Allen did the same thing. Bullet line drives to the wall.
>>

>Yes.
>
>$1 million dollar natural talent but a 5-cent attitude.
>
>His performance-enhancing drug was 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.

Allen's a strange specimen. At 5'11" he could dunk a basketball from
a standing position. Extremely long legs. Upper body like a
light-heavyweight boxer but with thick biceps more like a heavyweight.

05 Jan 2008 20:39:06
Realto Margarino
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

In rec.sport.baseball Way Back Jack <here@home.org > says:

>His performance-enhancing drug was 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.

We wonder, if, in the entire history of MLB, has a player,
especially an outfielder, ever pulled out a smoke and lit up while
on the field?

That wouldn't include the time we threw The Nieporent onto the
field, with a cigarette in his mouth, because he wouldn't put it
out.

cordially, as always,

rm
--
http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/Rose-Pete-Awards-Accomplishments.html

05 Jan 2008 14:55:03
Lance Freezeland
Re: Started Watching Baseball In 1953

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:39:06 GMT, Realto Margarino <rm@justlinux.ca >
gave us:
>In rec.sport.baseball Way Back Jack <here@home.org> says:

>>His performance-enhancing drug was 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.

>We wonder, if, in the entire history of MLB, has a player,
>especially an outfielder, ever pulled out a smoke and lit up while
>on the field?

I saw Bobby Bonds smoking while sitting in the dugout at old Busch
Stadium, circa 1980.

Oh, and you're still a tool, RLM.

--
Lance

"I believe in the Church of Baseball" Annie Savoy

05 Jan 2008 21:05:24
Way Back Jack

wrote:

>In rec.sport.baseball Way Back Jack <here@home.org> says:
>
>>His performance-enhancing drug was 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.
>
>We wonder, if, in the entire history of MLB, has a player,
>especially an outfielder, ever pulled out a smoke and lit up while
>on the field?
>
>That wouldn't include the time we threw The Nieporent onto the
>field, with a cigarette in his mouth, because he wouldn't put it
>out.

Never saw a player fire one up while on the field.

Once saw Ted Williams practice his swing and stance out in left field
between pitches. Was in a bit of slump at the time as I recall.

05 Jan 2008 15:32:11
Way Back Jack