29 Feb 2004 09:06:23
Dvd Avins
Sal Maglie

Does anyone here know how well he pitched in the Mexican League from
1946-1949? If it was as well as he pitched in 1945, 1950, and 1951 for the
Giants, he may be one of the most underappreciated stars in history.

--
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a
species of intemperance within itself... [It] makes a crime out of things

29 Feb 2004 12:22:39
Cameron Laird
Re: Sal Maglie

In article <jYh0c.9380$qX5.6067@nwrdny03.gnilink.net >,
Dvd Avins <dvdNOavinsSPAM@pobox.com > wrote:
>Does anyone here know how well he pitched in the Mexican League from
>1946-1949? If it was as well as he pitched in 1945, 1950, and 1951 for the
>Giants, he may be one of the most underappreciated stars in history.
.
.
.
Neat: his career ERA+ is tied for 47th all-time, in
the Gossage-Saberhagen-Palmer range. With reasonable
allowance for the missing years, he has a rate that
compares to Koufax-Dean-Hubbell-Rusie. "The Barber"
*was* good!
--

Cameron Laird <claird@phaseit.net >
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

29 Feb 2004 11:18:23
David Marasco
Re: Sal Maglie

claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote in message news:<1043mcffukcgq43@corp.supernews.com >...
> .
> Neat: his career ERA+ is tied for 47th all-time, in
> the Gossage-Saberhagen-Palmer range. With reasonable
> allowance for the missing years, he has a rate that
> compares to Koufax-Dean-Hubbell-Rusie. "The Barber"
> *was* good!

He was a starter in the 1951 Bobby Thompson game, 1954 WS game where
Mays made The Catch, and opposed Don Larsen in his perfect game...

David Marasco
http://www.thediamondangle.com