27 Jan 2004 17:51:42
Dvd Avins
Is Aramis Ramirez available?

If the Yankees threw money and spare parts (2nd tier prospects, because they
don't have top prospects) at the Cubs, would they trade him? Whom do they
have behind him at the position?

--
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a
species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of

27 Jan 2004 19:07:41
David Craven
Re: Is Aramis Ramirez available?

"Dvd Avins" <dvdNOavinsSPAM@pobox.com > wrote in message
> If the Yankees threw money and spare parts (2nd tier prospects, because
they
> don't have top prospects) at the Cubs, would they trade him?

Never. The Cubs have been looking for a solution at third for many many
years. And they believe that they have one in Aramis R. He's about as
close to an untouchable as Mark Prior.

>Whom do they
> have behind him at the position?

No one. But if something happened to him, the Cubs certainly have the
prospects (almost all pitchers) to go out and trade for a replacement.

That being said, right city, wrong team. If I were the Yankees I would be
calling up the idiot (I mean Kenny Williams) who says that his team is over
budget to see what they want for Joe Crede. You might have to take Frank
Thomas or Paul Konerko as part of the package, but Crede is the real deal.

27 Jan 2004 19:24:44
Dvd Avins
Re: Is Aramis Ramirez available?

"David Craven" <spamguard@nul.dev > wrote in message

<snip >

> Crede is the real deal.

32 walks with only middling power and BA is not a great season at age 25.

--
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a
species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of
reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and
makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a
blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
- Abraham Lincoln, speech, 18 Dec 1840

27 Jan 2004 22:17:47

> 32 walks with only middling power and BA is not a great season at age 25.

I was looking at the 2002 season which showed what he could do, combined
with the fact that he had a bad start to 2003 and played much better in the
second half. He put up an .892 OPS after the All Star Break. And he is a
very good fielder. If you look at the current crop of thirdbasemen, he is
one of the better choices, and is probably the best one who could be
acquired by trade.

I think he will do much better without Jerry the Gent demanding that he play
"small ball".

27 Jan 2004 23:05:22
Dvd Avins

> "Dvd Avins" <dvdNOavinsSPAM@pobox.com> wrote in message

[Joe Crede]

> > 32 walks with only middling power and BA is not a great season at age
25.

> I was looking at the 2002 season which showed what he could do,

209 PA isn't very conclusive. Were his minor league numbers good?

--
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a
species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of
reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and
makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a
blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
- Abraham Lincoln, speech, 18 Dec 1840

27 Jan 2004 17:55:22
Ima Pseudonym
Re: Is Aramis Ramirez available?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:05:22 GMT, "Dvd Avins"
<dvdNOavinsSPAM@pobox.com > wrote:

>"David Craven" <spamguard@nul.dev> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dvd Avins" <dvdNOavinsSPAM@pobox.com> wrote in message
>
>[Joe Crede]
>>
>> > 32 walks with only middling power and BA is not a great season at age
>25.
>>
>> I was looking at the 2002 season which showed what he could do,
>
>209 PA isn't very conclusive. Were his minor league numbers good?

In 2002 before being called up he hit .312/.359/.571 in 95 games with
24 homers for Charlotte in the International League

His minor and major league stats are here
http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=947

He was 24 in his last minor league season with an okay at best walk
rate, so he's not likely to become a superstar, but a nice run of 6-8
years seems highly possible, especially if his defense is good as some
say.

27 Jan 2004 19:13:39
David Marasco
Re: Is Aramis Ramirez available?

"David Craven" <spamguard@nul.dev > wrote in message news:<esBRb.5144$BA2.2894@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com>...
<on Joe Crede >

> I think he will do much better without Jerry the Gent demanding that he play
> "small ball".

Of course his new manager will be saying things like "walks are for
suckers, the key to baseball is to put the ball into play, so swing at
everything. Also, stealing is a really good idea too."

It's a good thing for my sanity that I am now no longer just a Red
Line ride away from New Comiskey, I don't think I would be able to
take Ozzieball. I've replaced my old diet of Sox and Brewers with a
steady stream of the A's and Barry. That's a damn good upgrade...

David Marasco
http://www.thediamondangle.com

28 Jan 2004 10:42:04
Roger Maynard

David Marasco <david@thediamondangle.com > wrote:
> "David Craven" <spamguard@nul.dev> wrote...
> <on Joe Crede>

> > I think he will do much better without Jerry the Gent demanding
> > that he play "small ball".

> Of course his new manager will be saying things like "walks are
> for suckers, the key to baseball is to put the ball into play, so
> swing at everything. Also, stealing is a really good idea too."

This is a straw man. No manager has ever said any of this.

> It's a good thing for my sanity that I am now no longer just a
> Red Line ride away from New Comiskey, I don't think I would be
> able to take Ozzieball. I've replaced my old diet of Sox and
> Brewers with a steady stream of the A's and Barry. That's a
> damn good upgrade...

I don't think you know anything about baseball. You are probably
acquainted with stats though, and for you that is an acceptable
substitute.

cordially, as always,

rm

28 Jan 2004 07:11:50
Old Man Mosey
Re: Is Aramis Ramirez available?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:42:04 GMT Roger Maynard opened up that worthless piehole
and remarked:

>David Marasco <david@thediamondangle.com> wrote:
>> "David Craven" <spamguard@nul.dev> wrote...
>> <on Joe Crede>
>
>> > I think he will do much better without Jerry the Gent demanding
>> > that he play "small ball".
>
>> Of course his new manager will be saying things like "walks are
>> for suckers, the key to baseball is to put the ball into play, so
>> swing at everything. Also, stealing is a really good idea too."
>
>This is a straw man. No manager has ever said any of this.

If the chickenhawk was abaseball fan he would have heard of Lloyd McClendon.

John Mosey Complaints can be sent to abuse@mosey.com
Brewers-o-meter |--X--|-----| (with Weeks and sans Selig... still not good)
http://www.mosey.com/deadpool.cfm Now with a baseball version!