25 May 2007 22:16:05
Steve Cutchen
Diamondback Coner Jackson grounds out on a 4-2 pitch

Diamondbacks - Astros tonight.

Bottom of 1st. 1 out.
Coner Jackson at bat.
Pitch sequence goes like this:

called strike 0-1
called strike 0-2
ball 1-2
foul 1-2
ball 2-2
foul 2-2
ball 3-2
foul 3-2
ball 4-2...
but Jackson is called back to the plate by HP Ump Chris Guccione

DBacks skipper Melvin comes out to argue...
Jackson sent to first.
Astros skipper Garner and F2 Ausmus argue...
All 4 umps huddle.
<time passes >
Jackson is called back to the plate. Grounds out 6-3

No Time called or anything. Simply a messed up count.

Yahoo play-by-play for bottom of first:

  Bottom 1st: Arizona
- E. Byrnes grounded out to shortstop
- C. Jackson walked
- O. Hudson flied out to center

0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors
Houston 1, Arizona 0

heh. 2 outs.

Can't they go to the official scorer even though they can't go to
instant replay?

26 May 2007 03:51:55
Bill Lang
Re: Diamondback Coner Jackson grounds out on a 4-2 pitch

I don't chew my cabbage twice, Steve Cutchen
<maxfaq@earthlink.net >

> Diamondbacks - Astros tonight.
>
> Bottom of 1st. 1 out.
> Coner Jackson at bat.
> Pitch sequence goes like this:
>
> called strike 0-1
> called strike 0-2
> ball 1-2
> foul 1-2
> ball 2-2
> foul 2-2
> ball 3-2
> foul 3-2
> ball 4-2...
> but Jackson is called back to the plate by HP Ump Chris Guccione
>
> DBacks skipper Melvin comes out to argue...
> Jackson sent to first.
> Astros skipper Garner and F2 Ausmus argue...
> All 4 umps huddle.
> <time passes>
> Jackson is called back to the plate. Grounds out 6-3
>
> No Time called or anything. Simply a messed up count.
>
> Yahoo play-by-play for bottom of first:
>
>   Bottom 1st: Arizona
> - E. Byrnes grounded out to shortstop
> - C. Jackson walked
> - O. Hudson flied out to center
>
> 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors
> Houston 1, Arizona 0
>
> heh. 2 outs.
>
> Can't they go to the official scorer even though they can't go
> instant replay?

Dumnass Big 8 Umps.

--
wjlmuttatyeahwhodotcom

"I before E except after C, and E before N in chicken"

26 May 2007 03:43:34
chico

Steve Cutchen wrote:
> Diamondbacks - Astros tonight.
>
> Bottom of 1st. 1 out.
> Coner Jackson at bat.
> Pitch sequence goes like this:
>
> called strike 0-1
> called strike 0-2
> ball 1-2
> foul 1-2
> ball 2-2
> foul 2-2
> ball 3-2
> foul 3-2
> ball 4-2...
> but Jackson is called back to the plate by HP Ump Chris Guccione
>
> DBacks skipper Melvin comes out to argue...
> Jackson sent to first.
> Astros skipper Garner and F2 Ausmus argue...
> All 4 umps huddle.
> <time passes>
> Jackson is called back to the plate. Grounds out 6-3
>
> No Time called or anything. Simply a messed up count.
>
> Yahoo play-by-play for bottom of first:
>
> Bottom 1st: Arizona
> - E. Byrnes grounded out to shortstop
> - C. Jackson walked
> - O. Hudson flied out to center
>
> 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors
> Houston 1, Arizona 0
>
> heh. 2 outs.
>
> Can't they go to the official scorer even though they can't go to
> instant replay?

No. The irony is, the official scorer has 24 hours from the end of a
game to change things and can base his/her conclusions on replays and
the umpires can't. Moreover, Rule 10.01(b)(1) says, "The official scorer
shall not make any decision that conflicts with an umpire’s decision." I
presume that includes corrections or advice with respect to pitch counts.

The only exception to that rule -- whereby the scorer *can* notify any
umpire of something -- is found in Rule 10.01(b)(2): "If the teams
change sides before three men are put out, the official scorer shall
immediately inform the umpire-in-chief of the mistake." At no other time
is the scorer to consult with umpires, and he or she must defer to the
calls made by umpires -- they're not to defer to the scorer except in
the case of insufficient outs to change sides.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

FWIW, Rule 10.05(a)(6) is the rule under which Loretta was credited with
a "single to LF" instead of Metcalf being charged with an error last
Saturday when Lamb should've been forced out (but wasn't *tagged* out)
at 3B. That rule says a batter is to be credited with a hit when "a
fielder unsuccessfully attempts to put out a preceding runner and, in
the official scorer's judgment, the batter-runner would not have been
put out at first base by ordinary effort." The part about Loretta making
it to first safely may be debatable but the note to the rule says the
batter should get benefit of the doubt. Lamb said after the game: "You
guys saw the replays. I mean, good grief. I didn't need to see the
replay." Too bad hadrianc still does, especially with the goofy
"distorted angles."

Chris Bagnato (AP) wrote in his game notes last night:
Arizona 1B Conor Jackson walked in the first inning - he
thought. But after Jackson trotted to first base, plate umpire
Chris Guccione ordered him to return to the plate. The
center-field scoreboard said the count was 3-2, but television
replays confirmed that Guccione had called four balls during the
at-bat. Manager Bob Melvin argued, and the fans booed as Jackson
grounded out to shortstop.

You'd think the Astros were leading charmed lives with all these calls
going their way. Too bad they're struggling in spite of the help from
the men in blue.