16 Aug 2003 02:55:37
Dan Morgan
Snowboard swivel devices

I've recently seen some devices (e.g. Swivler and SpinU 180) which say
that they let you spin your front binding round for easier walking.
Has anyone got any experience of these, cos they seem like a good
idea, but I'm not convinced...

Thanks for any responses

Dan

16 Aug 2003 17:57:51
Gary
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

no way! i have always told my friends it would be awesome to have
something like that. now they have them! i might just have to try it
out. it would also make riding the lift easier, that is, if you could
swivel it in midair...

danmorgan24@hotmail.com (Dan Morgan) wrote in message news:<4fd636ee.0308160155.62f39a1c@posting.google.com >...
> I've recently seen some devices (e.g. Swivler and SpinU 180) which say
> that they let you spin your front binding round for easier walking.
> Has anyone got any experience of these, cos they seem like a good
> idea, but I'm not convinced...
>
> Thanks for any responses
>
> Dan

17 Aug 2003 08:23:55
elb
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

In article <bhndlg$530$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk >, be@have.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> This device sounds as if it would solve me getting knee
> strain on the tows.

That's the only situtation I can think of that such a thing would be of
any benefit. For skating, it just sounds like a great way to break an
ankle.

- elb

18 Aug 2003 05:23:39
Bruce Chang
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

Yikes.. $115 US? That's quite a bit... =o' Dont' know if I'd pony up
that much money for it.. Maybe if it was closer to $50..

-Bruce

"Dr Bob Holt" <bob@endlesswinter.co.uk > wrote in message
> http://www.frontssnowboarding.com/
>
> --
> http://www.endlesswinter.co.uk
> "When Hell freezes over, I'll snowboard there too"
>

> "elb" <elb@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> > In article <bhndlg$530$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, be@have.freeserve.co.uk
> > says...
> > > This device sounds as if it would solve me getting knee
> > > strain on the tows.
> >
> > That's the only situtation I can think of that such a thing would be of
> > any benefit. For skating, it just sounds like a great way to break an
> > ankle.
> >
> > - elb

18 Aug 2003 07:54:36
Switters
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:55:37 GMT, danmorgan24@hotmail.com (Dan Morgan)
allegedly wrote:

> I've recently seen some devices (e.g. Swivler and SpinU 180) which say
> that they let you spin your front binding round for easier walking.
> Has anyone got any experience of these, cos they seem like a good
> idea, but I'm not convinced...

Friends of mine had these on hire boards 3 years ago in France. Great for
them as they could tweak angles during the day. But also bad for them,
because of the same reason. They never settled down to learn to ride,
blaming all the problems on not getting the angles right.

The contraptions themselves were big and heavy, and I don't think anyone
over a beginner would really benefit. Just learn to scoot properly.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

18 Aug 2003 07:16:19
Snowboardripper
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

Do not buy this item if you are a serious snowboarder. There was a
guy a snowboard camp that had a swivel and it actually came loose all
the time. This makes it very deadly. Imagine going down a steep and
you front foot moves, or imagine going over a huge kicker and as you
rotate the the binding also rotates or you are on a rail and it
decides to come loose. This goes in the same group as step ins. For
some people they are great but for jibbers and serious riders these
are useless toys.

This things are ment for the people that snowboard once a year or get
sucked into buying it when they get there first board.

18 Aug 2003 14:46:26
Mike T
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

> This goes in the same group as step ins. For
> some people they are great but for jibbers and serious riders these
> are useless toys.

IMHO you weakened your argument by bringing up step-ins. A number of
serious riders both at my local mountain and on this newsgroup have good
reasons for using step-ins.

Back to the topic at hand...

Am I correct in understanding that the idea is to use one of these on your
front foot only? Your front foot would be higher off the board than your
back foot. It doesn't take much of that to ruin your form, and worse yet,
your knees and hips.

Your stance is about more than your front foot angle, folks. Back foot
angle, stance width, and offset from center also come into play. Allowing
freedom in one of the four doesn't help much at the end of the day. Sure,
it might be good for changing the front foot angle for skating, but at the
cost of ruining your form while actually riding, not to mention putting your
knees and hips into an awkward position?

I'm with Switters - just learn to skate with your current stance. Practice
enough and you'll get it. If you live someplace where it snows, practice at
home if you like.

And if you use these things, please do something to raise your back foot to
the same height as your front one!

Mike T

20 Aug 2003 04:12:01
Dan Morgan
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I think I'll stick with my
first thought, which was "nice idea, but not for me"!

Cheers

Dan

20 Aug 2003 10:15:34
Tiburon27
Re: Snowboard swivel devices

Some binding company came up with the idea like 10 years ago. I didn't buy
into it then and I won't buy into it now. The idea is that it's for the
front foot only and it's *supposed to* lock into place when skating and when
riding.