23 Jun 2005 11:03:00
Bob
Snowboard repair expert question.

I just picked up a K2 fatbob snowboard that is in excellent condition other
than 4 1/4" holes drilled through the board, in pairs about 5 inches apart,
about 8 inches from either end of the board. I'd like to get good advice on
how to fill these holes in the best possible manner.

Bob

24 Jun 2005 11:14:14
Switters
Re: Snowboard repair expert question.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:03:00 GMT, "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net >
allegedly wrote:

> I just picked up a K2 fatbob snowboard that is in excellent condition
> other than 4 1/4" holes drilled through the board, in pairs about 5
> inches apart, about 8 inches from either end of the board. I'd like to
> get good advice on how to fill these holes in the best possible
> manner.

Why did the owner drill the holes in the first place?

I'm not a repair expert, if you're lucky someone else will be along later.
At a guess I'd try to bung it up with something on the top sheet side but
only down to the core, and then fill the base side with ptex. Although
really, you'd probably want to put a patch in covering each hole and more.

Not sure what to do then about the top side. Not much help really. :)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

24 Jun 2005 13:07:24
Slaughterhouse

"Switters" <me@privacy.net > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:03:00 GMT, "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net>
> allegedly wrote:
>
>> I just picked up a K2 fatbob snowboard that is in excellent condition
>> other than 4 1/4" holes drilled through the board, in pairs about 5
>> inches apart, about 8 inches from either end of the board. I'd like to
>> get good advice on how to fill these holes in the best possible
>> manner.

I have a very old Santa Cruz board that predated the 4X4 hole pattern on the
topsheet. Seeing as the board was pretty junked up I decided to patch the
hole on the board as the previous owner had his binding inserts drilled
through the board into T-Nuts. I cleaned up the holes with a dremel tool to
give a clean working surface. I then picked up some special epoxy that has
an excellent low temperature "survival rate", the stuff is white in colour
and I bought it at Walmart of all places. I put tape on the topsheet of the
board over the holes, turned the board up-side down and filled the hole with
the epoxy until it came up UNDER the P-Tex of the board (Not flush with the
P-Tex). Then I let the epoxy cure. Afterwards I patched the P-Tex with a
P-Tex stick.

24 Jun 2005 06:13:28
Bob

"Slaughterhouse" <nobody@nowhere.com > wrote in message

> "Switters" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:03:00 GMT, "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net>
> > allegedly wrote:
> >
> >> I just picked up a K2 fatbob snowboard that is in excellent condition
> >> other than 4 1/4" holes drilled through the board, in pairs about 5
> >> inches apart, about 8 inches from either end of the board. I'd like to
> >> get good advice on how to fill these holes in the best possible
> >> manner.
> >

> I have a very old Santa Cruz board that predated the 4X4 hole pattern on
the
> topsheet. Seeing as the board was pretty junked up I decided to patch the
> hole on the board as the previous owner had his binding inserts drilled
> through the board into T-Nuts. I cleaned up the holes with a dremel tool
> give a clean working surface. I then picked up some special epoxy that has
> an excellent low temperature "survival rate", the stuff is white in colour
> and I bought it at Walmart of all places. I put tape on the topsheet of
the
> board over the holes, turned the board up-side down and filled the hole
with
> the epoxy until it came up UNDER the P-Tex of the board (Not flush with
the
> P-Tex). Then I let the epoxy cure. Afterwards I patched the P-Tex with a
> P-Tex stick.

Sounds good. Other than the "low temp" epoxy, this was exactly what I was
thinking of. How did the repair hold up over time?

Bob

28 Jun 2005 12:18:50
Slaughterhouse

"Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net > wrote in message

> "Slaughterhouse" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Switters" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> I have a very old Santa Cruz board that predated the 4X4 hole pattern on
> the
>> topsheet. Seeing as the board was pretty junked up I decided to patch the
>> hole on the board as the previous owner had his binding inserts drilled
>> through the board into T-Nuts. I cleaned up the holes with a dremel tool
>> give a clean working surface. I then picked up some special epoxy that
>> has
>> an excellent low temperature "survival rate", the stuff is white in
>> colour
>> and I bought it at Walmart of all places. I put tape on the topsheet of
> the
>> board over the holes, turned the board up-side down and filled the hole
> with
>> the epoxy until it came up UNDER the P-Tex of the board (Not flush with
> the
>> P-Tex). Then I let the epoxy cure. Afterwards I patched the P-Tex with a
>> P-Tex stick.
>
> Sounds good. Other than the "low temp" epoxy, this was exactly what I was
> thinking of. How did the repair hold up over time?
>
> Bob

Sorry for the long delay! The repair held up fine, but I did'nt do a very
nice job with the P-Tex repair as I ended up getting too much carbon in it.
I ended up with black circles on the base of the white board. I simply suck
at using a lit piece of P-tex. If you have a P-tex gun that would be nice,
as the repairs I made were actually the size of a quarter! Or take it to a
shop for the base repair.