23 Sep 2003 08:15:42
Yello snow
SB Boots - Should I buy in the moring or the afternoon?

Right guys and girls, I'm looking to purchase a new pair of SB boots
before the coming season and I can probably still get some discounts
this is all because I'm finally feed up with gaffer tapping them up at
the beginning of every weeks outing, and they smell, oh do they smell.
They are always demoted to the window seal (odour eaters have no
effect, and washing the inners works for one day ), and there dam cold
in the morning :-)

I can't remember when is the best time to buy, morning or afternoon
because I was once told some time ago in a universe far far away that
your feet swell up in to afternoon/evening or do they shrink I can't
remember..

Is this complete pish, and I've been a fool for years or is there any
mileage in the above ..

Yello

23 Sep 2003 15:48:17
Mike T
Re: SB Boots - Should I buy in the moring or the afternoon?

> I can't remember when is the best time to buy, morning or afternoon -
> because I was once told some time ago in a universe far far away that
> your feet swell up in to afternoon/evening or do they shrink - I can't
> remember..
>
> Is this complete pish, and I've been a fool for years or is there any
> mileage in the above ...

Your feet will normally swell and shrink slightly due to many factors
including time of day - sorry, I can't remember which. Are they bigger
in the morning because blood has been collecting while you sleep or are
they bigger in the afternoon because you've been walking on them all
day? I can't remember.

In any case temperature, elevation, and activity also have an impact.
All of these obviously come into play while snowboarding. How much, I
don't know. I've usually bought snowboard boots in the fall, at sea
level, and haven't noticed a difference in fit in the winter, at
elevation.

Boot fit issues?

Consider replacing your liner with a moldable one.

http://www.intuitionsports.com/

Mike T

23 Sep 2003 12:00:57
Tiburon27
Re: SB Boots - Should I buy in the moring or the afternoon?

The theory is they swell up in the afternoon.

Maybe if you were buying formal shoes it would make a difference because
they would have little give.

I think with the liners and insulation in snowboard boots you shouldn't have
to worry about that. Just remember, if you wear thick socks when you
snowboard, wear thick socks when you try on the boots.

Liners will take awhile to break in and make sure your heel is firmly
secured in the heel cup (to avoid dreaded heel-lift) and your big toe just
touches the end of the boot.

***Bring your board or at least one of your bindings to make sure the boots
fit them.***

Make sure that the boot has a similar "foot print" than your current boots
or you may have to buy new bindings to fit them. I had Kuu's, then the DC's
(similar foot print) and then I got a good deal on D23's but the shell was a
little longer and wider and didn't fit my bindings right. I ended up having
to buy new bindings next season to fit the boots I bought the previous
season! And no the deal meant I could not return the boots!

I bought a pair of DC boots in '98 and there were ankle cups in the liner
that didn't conform to my ankles and the outer shell of the boot dug into
the very bottom of where my calf muscle started. I was assured these
problems would work themselves out. So I bought them and aside from the
ankle cups being annoying, I was in so much pain from the digging into my
calf muscle I was in agony after my second run. Wore them a few more times
and ended up selling them to a friend who fit them much better.

23 Sep 2003 16:23:23
Mike T
Re: SB Boots - Should I buy in the moring or the afternoon?

> Make sure that the boot has a similar "foot print" than your current
boots
> or you may have to buy new bindings to fit them.

In extreme cases a boot's foot print might be so different from what
you've got now that it won't work well with your *board*.

A couple of summers ago I demoed a pair of DeeLuxe Freaks*. The size 9
in the Freak fit me the same as the size 8 in my Salomon Malamutes.
When I went to strap in my toes were hanging 2.5 inches off on the
toeside as opposed to the 3/8 inch that I was used to. Sure enough the
boot was over TWO INCHES longer than my Salomons even though the fit was
almost the same. It's too bad - they were very comfortable, very
responsive boots.

Mike T

*DeeLuxe is no longer sold in the U.S. except at www.bomberonline.com
and then only the hard boots. It's Raichle's brand name for snowboard
gear.

23 Sep 2003 16:50:27
Switters
Re: SB Boots - Should I buy in the moring or the afternoon?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:15:42 GMT, mmalby2002@yahoo.co.uk (Yello snow)
allegedly wrote:

> Is this complete pish, and I've been a fool for years or is there any
> mileage in the above ...

Definitely mileage in that. Last time I bought boots was in the afternoon
after a very painful day riding in boots that were too small for me. They
were hot, swollen and sore. I knew that any boot that was comfortable
right then was going to be good - and they've lasted years.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

24 Sep 2003 02:03:03
Yello snow

Switters <me@privacy.net > wrote in message news:<Xns93FFB5865C93nospamta@130.133.1.4>...
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:15:42 GMT, mmalby2002@yahoo.co.uk (Yello snow)
> allegedly wrote:
>
> > Is this complete pish, and I've been a fool for years or is there any
> > mileage in the above ...
>
> Definitely mileage in that. Last time I bought boots was in the afternoon
> after a very painful day riding in boots that were too small for me. They
> were hot, swollen and sore. I knew that any boot that was comfortable
> right then was going to be good - and they've lasted years.
>
> - Dave.

Thanks for the info guys, I will probably have a look this weekend as
I'm helping out a friend at the British Ski and snowboard show -
should get a good look at last sessions gear.

Yello

09 Oct 2003 11:48:01
Baka Dasai

On 23 Sep 2003 08:15:42 -0700, Yello snow said (and I quote):
> I can't remember when is the best time to buy, morning or afternoon
> because I was once told some time ago in a universe far far away that
> your feet swell up in to afternoon/evening or do they shrink I can't
> remember..

A slightly related issue is that if you have spent the summer doing a lot of
walking barefoot (especially in sand), your feet may well have changed
shape. Walking in the sand really develops the muscles in your foot, making
them wider than before.

Of course they'll then shrink through winter, so it's not clear how to use
this bit of information, especially as it clashes with the fact that your
boots will pack out (get bigger) as the winter goes on. Just what you don't
need - boots getting bigger as your feet get smaller.