26 Oct 2003 21:07:10
elb
Post-ACL recon: soft or stiff setup?

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's encouragement after my surgery this summer.
By the time I get to ride this winter I'll be 6 months post-ACL
reconstruction. I absolutely realize I won't be anywhere near 100% by
that time, but there's no way I'm going to sit out an entire season.
I'll be taking it easy, very very easy.

Anyway, I'm looking to ditch my K2 clicker setup and replace it with
normal boots and strap binding. The only real reason I used clickers
was that I was paranoid about messing up my knee getting off lifts - so
I'd click in on the chair and ride off with both feet locked.

I'm about 250lbs and ride a Donek Wide 165. I've been considering
Malamutes, Ions, Drivers, KJ's, etc. possibly with Catek Freerides.
Over the years I've generally preferred stiffer boots and bindings.

But I'm wondering if I should go with something less stiff.

Any ideas or advice from those with similar knee problems? Will a
softer setup let my ankles absorb more of the flex and stress instead of
my knees, or just make my legs work harder and be less stable. Or none
of the above.

- elb

01 Nov 2003 18:12:00
Drug Buddy
Re: Post-ACL recon: soft or stiff setup?

elb wrote:

> Any ideas or advice from those with similar knee problems? Will a
> softer setup let my ankles absorb more of the flex and stress instead
> of my knees, or just make my legs work harder and be less stable. Or
> none of the above.
>
> - elb

Hi elb, great to hear the rehab went well and you're ready for the season
start. I can't really offer any advice re your setup, I was a skier prior to
snapping my ACL and hired gear my 1st post-op season (soft/strap). I now
have a Salomon/Burton/Forum setup - straps and softies - and my knee's
pretty happy with it. To be honest your 1st season back's gonna be a
confidence builder so I'd suggest you stick with what you know and take it
easy and enjoy it all again. Take your board off for lift journeys if that's
what you feel is right - there're no rules to confidence building! Keep up
the rehab exercises though, it'll seem like a bind but worth it - I still do
the squats to build support muscle and stuff.

Good luck, DB