28 Oct 2003 17:37:03
Mick Davies
Learning in Cataloochie/Maggie Vally what to expect.

I've been told that since I've never boarded I'll never no the difference
and learning on the type of snow there, manufactured and hard, I'll actually
ski better when I go out west to more powdery condiditons. That is if I
survive the bruising. All true or urban legend. Also, I don;t know how true
it could be but one website sponsered by a magazine whose name I forget
named Cataloochie the second best ski area in the US. I've never heard of
anywhere in the east that was a good as out west. I'm ignorant, but I'm
learning.

--
Mick Davies
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0203865/

"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more attentive than
our eyes..."

Luigi Russolo, 1913

28 Oct 2003 18:49:19
Mike T
Re: Learning in Cataloochie/Maggie Vally what to expect.

> I've been told that since I've never boarded I'll never no the
difference
> and learning on the type of snow there, manufactured and hard, I'll
actually
> ski better when I go out west to more powdery condiditons.

I disagree. I think you'll be better at different aspects of riding
than someone who starts out in better conditions... but they'll be
better at different aspects than you will be. Swap places for a day
and you'll probably end up at about the same place! I started to ski
on ice and started to board on decent snow and in both cases
encountering new snow conditions required learning how to handle them.

> Also, I don;t know how true
> it could be but one website sponsered by a magazine whose name I
forget
> named Cataloochie the second best ski area in the US. I've never heard
of
> anywhere in the east that was a good as out west.

Looking at their website, it's a teeny, teeny ski area. What were
these areas being rated on? Perhaps it was second best for
first-timers? Which would be ideal for you! Things that would make a
ski area good for first timers:

*Lots of beginner terrain of varying lengths, located where more
advanced skiers and riders won't use them
*Easy lifts (high speed detached quads are the easiest because the
chairs slow way down for boarding and unboarding)
*Good instructors
*Reasonably good snow conditions

Mike T

28 Oct 2003 19:05:01
Mick Davies
Re: Learning in Cataloochie/Maggie Vally what to expect.

The area is, by all accounts, very easy. Its less than 4 hours away from ATL
so I'm thinking I'll be fine there for my first season. Thanks for the
reply. I have a couple of other newbie questions posted here as well if you
are so inclined.