04 Mar 2004 01:03:38
Tom
Chairlift humiliation!

I thought maybe it was time for a new round of chairlift accident tales..

In Mottaret this year, I grabbed a short chairlift up to a nice quick run,
which literally allowed boarding straight down to our chalets at the end of the
day (fab resort, Mottaret!).

Somehow, as me and my friend Al got off, the front of my board sort of got
caught on the back of his, meaning I had no control and no real momentum, I was
just sort of stuck in a queue behind him.

By the time he was away, I had no momentum at all, so I wasn't really free of
the step-off area... I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but what happened
next was that I ended up stationary and sort of facing the chair which was now
in its turning circle to go back down. As it turned through it's 180 degree
arc, it sort of shoved my backwards, and literally body-slammed me down into
thick powder.

I sat there looking stupid with a bemused semi-smile on my face, while a gaggle
of quality "talent", plus Al, fell about laughing.

I got away with it with just a very small but deep gash and a bruise!

Any other embarassing tales from this season, anyone?

Tom
High Wycombe
UK

05 Mar 2004 11:21:49
QT
Re: Chairlift humiliation!

I was at one of the local mountains and I had just gotten off the lift. I
turn around and see that the person on the chair after me (skier in bright
pink outfit) was struggling a bit getting off the chair. Next thing you
know the chair scoops her up and she is sort of half on and half off the
chair and it makes it turn to go back down. You hear this helpless cry come
from her. The operators stopped it but bythis time she was about 8 feet off
the ground and sort of sitting/hanging off the chair. A couple guys come
over take her skis off and help lower her down. Funny to watch but i"m sure
it wasn't funny to her. She was obviously a beginner.

05 Mar 2004 22:20:45
Baretta
Re: Chairlift humiliation!

Oh the agony of being rescued off the lift - been there, done that.
I remember an early time I was out skiing - was riding the lift to the top
when I spotted a "BABE" down below. She had just fallen and was sprawled out
facing up. She wasn't hurt but just lying there, smiling in embaressment. So
slick me, yelled out if I could come down and help her make snow angels. We
exchanged a few friendly quips to each other. But by this time, I had
forgotten how close I was to the top and missed my get-off. Of course by the
time the liftee stops the lift I'm past the exit point and up in the air
looking rather dorky. He comes over looking rather displeased. He has to
reach up and snap the skiis off so I can jump down - all in front of an
audience. Needless to say - I wasn't feeling too charming then. Luckily the
girl was further down the slope and didn't see my stupidity. I did hook up
with her later in the day and ended up having lunch together. She commented
that she had waited for me to come down to meet her but didn't see me so she
headed off down. I told her I had to help some poor slob off that was stuck
on the lift - ( what they don't know, wont hurt you! )

"QT" <southnam@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I was at one of the local mountains and I had just gotten off the lift. I
> turn around and see that the person on the chair after me (skier in bright
> pink outfit) was struggling a bit getting off the chair. Next thing you
> know the chair scoops her up and she is sort of half on and half off the
> chair and it makes it turn to go back down. You hear this helpless cry
come
> from her. The operators stopped it but bythis time she was about 8 feet
off
> the ground and sort of sitting/hanging off the chair. A couple guys come
> over take her skis off and help lower her down. Funny to watch but i"m
sure
> it wasn't funny to her. She was obviously a beginner.

06 Mar 2004 15:38:24
lizbubb
Re: Chairlift humiliation!

> Any other embarassing tales from this season, anyone?

Not so much embarrassing as a very lucky escape by my granny! It happened a
long time ago - long enough that chairlifts didn't all have safety bars -
but I only heard about it this year.

She slipped off the chairlift as it started off. My Grandpa grabbed her but
the operator didn't notice and the lift kept going. The snow was very patchy
and my grandpa knew he couldn't hold her all the way up. He held on to her
until the lift was over a large patch of snow then dropped her. She fell
30ft and broke a vertebra and her pelvis - both of which healed. I think
that was pretty d*mn lucky!

She was still cross country skiing well into her 80s - she only stopped when
they moved away from the mountains.

Liz

---

06 Mar 2004 15:50:36
Dean
Re: Chairlift humiliation!

Tom wrote:

> Any other embarassing tales from this season, anyone?

Not terribly embarrassing, but maybe helpful to someone else...

It was my first time:

- At a particular resort
- On a detachable chair
- On a chair with a safety bar
- On a six person chair

The lift exit ramps at most of the local resorts are fairly steep.
Therefore one quickly glides down and away from the chair. Unknown to me
the ramp at this resort is pretty flat, and I didn't know the detachable
chair would slow to a crawl. So, when I stood up I didn't have enough
speed to glide away from the chair. That in itself would not have been a
problem if I could have pushed myself with my rear foot. But there were
five people crowded around me and the only place to put my foot was on a
ski or pole. The operator stopped the lift to prevent the chair from
hitting me. I didn't make that mistake again.

Dean