09 Jan 2004 13:18:58
James P
LA ski areas, no car!

Any ski resort areas around LA where it's possible to get around with
ski buses and the occasional taxi?

I'm a 33yo intermediate skier traveling by myself and looking for an
area where I could go skiing for a week and not get too bored of
either the skiing or the after-ski life.

James

09 Jan 2004 21:43:37
Jack Wan
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

Many ski clubs have buses go to Mammoth on the weekends, some times for a
week. Search Yahoo or others should be fruitful.

09 Jan 2004 15:21:58
The Real Bev
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

James P wrote:

> Any ski resort areas around LA where it's possible to get around with
> ski buses and the occasional taxi?

No. Seriously, no. If you want to spend a week skiing in LA (I assume
you mean Los Angeles, but the skiing is only marginally better here than
skiing in Louisiana) stay at Big Bear and walk or hitch to the ski
area. Yes, one. Two parts with a shuttle between, but one area.

> I'm a 33yo intermediate skier traveling by myself and looking for an
> area where I could go skiing for a week and not get too bored of
> either the skiing or the after-ski life.

If you're a real intermediate and not just being modest, I guess you
could get a week of less-than-fully-boring skiing at Big Bear. Not a
clue about the night life, but it probably ain't no good life.

Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
supposed to be a SUPER area.

--
Cheers,
Bev

09 Jan 2004 15:55:41
lal_truckee
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

The Real Bev wrote:

> Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
> supposed to be a SUPER area.

That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
$15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.

Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

09 Jan 2004 17:29:13
The Real Bev
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

lal_truckee wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>

> > Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
> > supposed to be a SUPER area.
>
> That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
> get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
> $15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.
>
> Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
> bus.

Yeah, there's a bus. It takes something like 12 hours, though. I
checked a couple of years ago, so it might be different now. Probably
cheaper to rent a car for one day, ski, and then rent a car for another
day to return. Is this possible?

> Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
> special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
> special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Not many. Probably none, actually. Better to go to the freeway on-ramp
in San Fernando with a big sign: WILL PAY FOR GAS TO MAMMOTH!

--
Cheers,
Bev

10 Jan 2004 11:15:44
James P
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com > wrote in message news:<btndv7$98t8o$1@ID-90251.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
> bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
> special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
> special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!

How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?

10 Jan 2004 11:52:31
Go Fig
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

In article <bba652bb.0401101115.16ac0934@posting.google.com >, James P
<jp2774@yahoo.com > wrote:

> lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
> > bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
> > special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
> > special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?
>
> Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
> to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
> Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
> way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!

There are charter bus services that make the run to Mammoth, Mark IV
being one of them.

You could also fly to Reno and take the Greyhound down to Mammoth,
there are few detours on that portion, unlike coming from Los Angeles,
which stops and goes well out of its way.

> How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?

Its more and more a young crowd, especially in the 2nd season.

Whisky Creek, the 40 year establishment has rotating bands that come
through, some are quite good. This should be a first consideration.

For after ski its: Yodler Restaurant & Bar at the base lodge.

Ocean Seafood also has late night bar scene, but a young crowd of
shredder's.

jay
Sat Jan 10, 2004
mailto:gofig@mac.com

10 Jan 2004 19:59:58
lal_truckee
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

James P wrote:
> lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<btndv7$98t8o$1@ID-90251.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>
>>Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
>>bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
>>special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
>>special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?
>

> Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
> to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
> Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
> way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!
>
> How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?

If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
is a real mountain.

10 Jan 2004 21:42:09
pigo

> James P wrote:
> > lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:<btndv7$98t8o$1@ID-90251.news.uni-berlin.de >...

> >>Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
> >>bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
> >>special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
> >>special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess,
Bev?

> > Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
> > to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
> > Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
> > way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!
> >
> > How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?
>
> If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
> parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
> and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
> screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
> is a real mountain.

Though I don't think I have the stamina to do it anymore I've skied many a
"real mountain", including Mammoth and still had the energy to party all
night. Don't tell me you've forgotten what it's like to be young?

You can be dead tired at the end of the day. But a few beers and some new
cutie pie rubbing your leg can give you a second wind real quick!

pigo

10 Jan 2004 20:52:03
lal_truckee
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

pigo wrote:

> "lal_truckee" <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>James P wrote:
>>
>>>lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bev?
>

>>>Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
>>>to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
>>>Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
>>>way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!
>>>
>>>How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?
>>
>>If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
>>parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
>>and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
>>screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
>>is a real mountain.
>

> Though I don't think I have the stamina to do it anymore I've skied many a
> "real mountain", including Mammoth and still had the energy to party all
> night. Don't tell me you've forgotten what it's like to be young?
>
> You can be dead tired at the end of the day. But a few beers and some new
> cutie pie rubbing your leg can give you a second wind real quick!

Not if you intend to push the mountain again the next day.

10 Jan 2004 22:18:45

> pigo wrote:
>
> > "lal_truckee" <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Bev?

> >>If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
> >>parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
> >>and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
> >>screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
> >>is a real mountain.
> >

> > Though I don't think I have the stamina to do it anymore I've skied many
> > "real mountain", including Mammoth and still had the energy to party all
> > night. Don't tell me you've forgotten what it's like to be young?
> >
> > You can be dead tired at the end of the day. But a few beers and some
new
> > cutie pie rubbing your leg can give you a second wind real quick!
>
> Not if you intend to push the mountain again the next day.

I seemed to manage.

Not a party hard till the sun comes up. But I could ride last chair, party
until last call, get 4-5 hours sleep and push the mountain the next day.
Sure there were a couple of times that I got too hung to go out. But never
when it counted.

To most people I think that partying is the main reason to go to ski areas.
I still held skiing as the reason to go but could do my share of whooping it
up too.

pigo

10 Jan 2004 21:39:20
scottabe
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

in article q-udnacigKKGSJ3d4p2dnA@comcast.com, pigo at
pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com wrote on 1/10/04 8:42 PM:

> "lal_truckee" <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> James P wrote:
>>> lal_truckee <lal_truckee@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bev?
>>>

>>> Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
>>> to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
>>> Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
>>> way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!
>>>
>>> How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?
>>
>> If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
>> parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
>> and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
>> screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
>> is a real mountain.
>
> Though I don't think I have the stamina to do it anymore I've skied many a
> "real mountain", including Mammoth and still had the energy to party all
> night. Don't tell me you've forgotten what it's like to be young?

Maybe he's forgotten what it is like to be coked up and unable to sleep.

> You can be dead tired at the end of the day. But a few beers and some new
> cutie pie rubbing your leg can give you a second wind real quick!

Bet there used to be a couple of lines, too, eh, cocaine dealer?

12 Jan 2004 20:29:36
Phil Caine
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

lal_truckee wrote:
> That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
> get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
> $15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.

Motel 6 is even more pricey now - $85 for 2 people (the price comes down
sometime in April to $66).

12 Jan 2004 21:13:28
The Real Bev
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

Phil Caine wrote:

> lal_truckee wrote:
> > That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
> > get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
> > $15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.
>
> Motel 6 is even more pricey now - $85 for 2 people (the price comes down
> sometime in April to $66).

I haven't stayed in a non-expense-account [m|h]otel since some of them
were called motor courts. Do they actually count the number of people
who go into a room, or is it honor system?

--
Cheers,
Bev

12 Jan 2004 22:41:43
Richard Henry
Re: LA ski areas, no car!

"The Real Bev" <bashley@myrealbox.com > wrote in message
> Phil Caine wrote:
> >
> > lal_truckee wrote:
> > > That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
> > > get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
> > > $15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.
> >
> > Motel 6 is even more pricey now - $85 for 2 people (the price comes down
> > sometime in April to $66).
>
> I haven't stayed in a non-expense-account [m|h]otel since some of them
> were called motor courts. Do they actually count the number of people
> who go into a room, or is it honor system?

I haven't stayed at Motel 6 since they charged extra for a key to unlock the
TV.

13 Jan 2004 19:56:26
Terd Fartingmor
Re: Re: LA ski areas, no car!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:41:43 -0800, "Richard Henry" <rphenry@home.com >
wrote this crap:

>I haven't stayed at Motel 6 since they charged extra for a key to unlock the
>TV.

I haven't been to a Motel 6 since I stole 22 bars of soap off the
maid's cart. I wasn't even staying there, I was visiting a friend.

I use the soap for the shower on my yacht.

Horvath@Horvath.net

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe