12 Aug 2006 14:42:39
Tex5202
Kamloops

Considering Christman-New Years ski trip to Sun Peaks in Kamloops.

thoughts and recommendations are welcome

1.) Will there be enough snow (sounds like I can expect 5+ feet)
2.) Hard to get to? (I am coming from Texas, sounds like Calgary is the
place to travel)
3.) Nice town? (when we are not skiing)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

27 Aug 2006 22:28:20
Slaughterhouse
Re: Kamloops

"Tex5202" <ngb4479@comcast.net > wrote in message
> Considering Christman-New Years ski trip to Sun Peaks in Kamloops.
>
> thoughts and recommendations are welcome
>
> 1.) Will there be enough snow (sounds like I can expect 5+ feet)
> 2.) Hard to get to? (I am coming from Texas, sounds like Calgary is the
> place to travel)
> 3.) Nice town? (when we are not skiing)
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Not sure about Sun Peaks bu there are alot of resorts on your way there if
you are landing in Calgary (if you are planning on going straight to
Kamloops you may want to consider landing in Kelowna, unless Kamploops has
an airport?). Anyways, Big White in Kelowna is quickly gaining in popularity
and I understand it is going to be the location of the next winter olympics.
It is not a long drive from Kamloops. There is also Silver Star in Vernon
and Apex in Penticton. If you are coming from Calgary you have Sunshine
Village, Lake Louise, definatley check out Kicking Horse! For some really
heavy powder check out Fernie.

28 Aug 2006 14:24:09
Re: Kamloops

Tex5202 wrote:
> 2.) Hard to get to? (I am coming from Texas, sounds like Calgary is the
> place to travel)
There is an "international" airport in Kamloops. I have been on the
flights from/to Seattle-Tacoma. The ski area is 30-60 minutes awy,
depending on the weather.

> 3.) Nice town? (when we are not skiing)
Small village. We ate dinners out. After a week, we were in danger of
running out of new places.

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Some of our group were raving about an on-hill Japanese restaurant. I
never made it there. As I recall, it was toward the far left, as you
look at the trail map.