17 Dec 2003 15:24:31
Bruce
January Skiing-Mammoth/Heavenly

Skiing can be brutally cold and windy in the Pacific NW in January. I'm
wondering if those conditions routinely exist further South, specifically at
Heavenly or at Mammoth? I don't mind a little cold and wind, but I've
rarely had anything but bitterly cold and windy up here in January.

18 Dec 2003 13:16:36
Terry Morse
Re: January Skiing-Mammoth/Heavenly

Bruce wrote:

> Skiing can be brutally cold and windy in the Pacific NW in January. I'm
> wondering if those conditions routinely exist further South, specifically at
> Heavenly or at Mammoth? I don't mind a little cold and wind, but I've
> rarely had anything but bitterly cold and windy up here in January.

Most January days are sunny, with temperatures close to freezing.
Wind is not usually a problem, except during storms. Sierra storms
winds can be brutal, though, and the day after a storm can also be
brisk.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/