11 Jan 2004 22:19:30
Alan Rowland
Car hire in Utah

I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt Lake
City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about to
organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or snow
chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you reccommend
for low cost? Thanks,

Al

11 Jan 2004 16:35:48
pigo
Re: Car hire in Utah

"Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk > wrote in message
> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt Lake
> City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about to
> organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or snow
> chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
reccommend
> for low cost? Thanks,
>
> Al

My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.

I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If you can
take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The other option
would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will almost always get you
to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon. Personally? The few extra bucks
are worth it. The few thousand extra I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the
first time I push the button and don't have to get out and dig or push. But
budget is a consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip,
it's doable.

Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.

pigo

11 Jan 2004 16:07:21
scottabe
Warning to Alan Rowland

Fair warning, Bob Thompson is likely to accuse you of molesting children if
you piss him off. You will note that he just did it to me. My advice is to
stay as far away from this insane psychopath as you can.
Unless, of course, you like doing illegal drugs. Then Bob Thompson is your
man.

in article E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com, pigo at
pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com wrote on 1/11/04 3:35 PM:

> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt Lake
>> City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about to
>> organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or snow
>> chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
> reccommend
>> for low cost? Thanks,
>>
>> Al
>
> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>
> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If you can
> take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The other option
> would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will almost always get you
> to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon. Personally? The few extra bucks
> are worth it. The few thousand extra I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the
> first time I push the button and don't have to get out and dig or push. But
> budget is a consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip,
> it's doable.
>
> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>
> pigo

11 Jan 2004 18:15:15
Vern93
Re: Greetings to Alan R--

In article <BC272539.D799%scottabe@hotmail.com >,
scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com > wrote:

> Fair warning, Bob Thompson is likely to accuse you of molesting children if
> you piss him off. You will note that he just did it to me. My advice is to
> stay as far away from this insane psychopath as you can.
> Unless, of course, you like doing illegal drugs. Then Bob Thompson is your
> man.

I'm sure Alan can read for himself and draw his own conclusions. A trip
to SLC really isn't complete unless you get to visit w/ Bob, share a
pitcher, toss down some wings and maybe even shoot a round of pool.

I'm looking forward to doing that when I head back there in March.

And for the record, Bob didn't accuse you of anything, he simply posted
a link to where your brother was forced to refute more of your
outlandish accusations.

Dave

11 Jan 2004 16:25:04
scottabe
Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article vern93-8AC944.18151511012004@news-east.ash.giganews.com, Vern93
at vern93@comcast.net wrote on 1/11/04 4:15 PM:

> In article <BC272539.D799%scottabe@hotmail.com>,
> scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fair warning, Bob Thompson is likely to accuse you of molesting children if
>> you piss him off. You will note that he just did it to me. My advice is to
>> stay as far away from this insane psychopath as you can.
>> Unless, of course, you like doing illegal drugs. Then Bob Thompson is your
>> man.
>
> I'm sure Alan can read for himself and draw his own conclusions.

I surely want to let him know that he puts himself at risk for being stalked
by an insane criminal like Bob Thompson.
A trip
> to SLC really isn't complete unless you get to visit w/ Bob, share a
> pitcher, toss down some wings and maybe even shoot a round of pool.

Not complete unless you are a sociopath. I'm sure Alan wants to have his
life threatened, be falsely accused of molesting children, etc.

> I'm looking forward to doing that when I head back there in March.

Psychopaths of a feather flock together.

> And for the record, Bob didn't accuse you of anything, he simply posted
> a link to where your brother was forced to refute more of your
> outlandish accusations.

What a vile lie. Bob Thompson has told so many lies about me it is
ridiculous, and you defend his insane lying. Typical rsa psychopathic
behavior.

11 Jan 2004 18:36:03
Vern93
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

In article <BC272960.D7A2%scottabe@hotmail.com >,
scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com > wrote:

> What a vile lie. Bob Thomson has told so many lies about me it is
> ridiculous, and you defend his insane lying. Typical rsa psychopathic
> behavior.

Sorry Alan. Mosts groups have at least one of these....

May I interest you in a little usenet group we like to call
rec.skiing.alpine.moderated ? I think you'll find it has one less
netkook and a whole lot more content. HTH.

Dave

11 Jan 2004 17:42:06
AstroPax

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:36:03 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net > wrote:

>May I interest you in a little usenet group we like to call
>rec.skiing.alpine.moderated ? I think you'll find it has one less
>netkook and a whole lot more content.

Actually, overall, I think RSAM has *less* skiing content than RSA.

RSA just has more noise, that's all.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

11 Jan 2004 19:04:55

In article <e6r300t238q0rru8fdekbjctvv0gp9iedb@4ax.com >,
AstroPax <astro@skiutahlocals.com > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:36:03 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >May I interest you in a little usenet group we like to call
> >rec.skiing.alpine.moderated ? I think you'll find it has one less
> >netkook and a whole lot more content.
>
> Actually, overall, I think RSAM has *less* skiing content than RSA.
>
> RSA just has more noise, that's all.
>
> -Astro

That is very possible. BTW, I had an excellent time in your neck of the
woods last week. When I left yesterday, it was a balmy 34 degrees.
Friday, we managed to find a fair amount of untracked powder, however it
required a return trip on the "Battan Death Catrack" :)

Maybe March will be the time to try the Helicopter, however, it seems to
me (a lowly tourist) that I've had far better Marchs out your way than
Januarys.

But I don't do that "jumping off a perfectly good cliff" stuff like you
do.

Dave

11 Jan 2004 17:08:50
scottabe
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article vern93-EA858F.18360311012004@news-east.ash.giganews.com, Vern93
at vern93@comcast.net wrote on 1/11/04 4:36 PM:

> In article <BC272960.D7A2%scottabe@hotmail.com>,
> scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What a vile lie. Bob Thomson has told so many lies about me it is
>> ridiculous, and you defend his insane lying. Typical rsa psychopathic
>> behavior.
>
> Sorry Alan. Mosts groups have at least one of these....

Really? All groups have psychopaths like this asshole and Bob Thompson?
Ask yourself, Alan, if you want to be social with people who falsely accuse
innocent men of molesting children, or like this sick asshole, stalk them
all over the net and in real life.

> May I interest you in a little usenet group we like to call
> rec.skiing.alpine.moderated ? I think you'll find it has one less
> netkook and a whole lot more content. HTH.

Netkook: decent, honorable men.
You will notice that no matter how vile their behavior on rsa, psychopaths
and terrorists are allowed to post to rsa.terrorist

11 Jan 2004 17:09:55
scottabe
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article e6r300t238q0rru8fdekbjctvv0gp9iedb@4ax.com, AstroPax at
astro@skiutahlocals.com wrote on 1/11/04 4:42 PM:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:36:03 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> May I interest you in a little usenet group we like to call
>> rec.skiing.alpine.moderated ? I think you'll find it has one less
>> netkook and a whole lot more content.
>
> Actually, overall, I think RSAM has *less* skiing content than RSA.
>
> RSA just has more noise, that's all.

Rsa.terrorist is a complete and utter failure. They are incapable of
attracting newbies for a simple reason: the newbies read rsa and want to
have nothing to do with people who allow the psychopaths of rsa to post to a
private terrorist newsgroup.

11 Jan 2004 18:14:51
AstroPax

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:04:55 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net > wrote:

>I had an excellent time in your neck of the
>woods last week. When I left yesterday, it was a balmy 34 degrees.

Glad to hear that. So did I.

Today it was warm, sunny, a blue sky day. High-Speed groomer time.

You know, someday...it will snow again.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

11 Jan 2004 18:18:45
AstroPax
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:04:55 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net > wrote:

//snip//

>"Battan Death Catrack" :)

Sounds like the run-out from Moonshine Bowl at Snowbasin, or that
Honeycomb Canyon business.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

12 Jan 2004 01:26:30
Sven Golly
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com > wrote in

> They are incapable of
> attracting newbies for a simple reason: the newbies read rsa and
> want to have nothing to do with people who allow the psychopaths
> of rsa to post to a private terrorist newsgroup.

Pure BS.

RSA.M still isn't carried on a LOT of major servers including the
entire XO system.

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

11 Jan 2004 17:29:10
scottabe
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article 81t30010tkb3h3baua56hbpu8k9gosd110@4ax.com, AstroPax at
astro@skiutahlocals.com wrote on 1/11/04 5:14 PM:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:04:55 -0600, Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I had an excellent time in your neck of the
>> woods last week. When I left yesterday, it was a balmy 34 degrees.
>
> Glad to hear that. So did I.

One pathological liar chatting comfortably with another pathological liar.
That's rsa, folks, where decency is unknown and evil rules.

11 Jan 2004 17:30:04
scottabe
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article Xns946DB219B9EC6svengolly@130.133.1.4, Sven Golly at
sven_golly@myrealbox.com wrote on 1/11/04 5:26 PM:

> scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> They are incapable of
>> attracting newbies for a simple reason: the newbies read rsa and
>> want to have nothing to do with people who allow the psychopaths
>> of rsa to post to a private terrorist newsgroup.
>
> Pure BS.

Truth. Decent people see right through your bullshit.

> RSA.M still isn't carried on a LOT of major servers including the
> entire XO system.

Ah, the tricks I have up my sleeve. Not to worry. If it ever looks viable,
we'll go to plan B.
Fair is fair.

11 Jan 2004 19:41:25

In article <fat300lto5eeo59k1heqa3iv003c0n4o3u@4ax.com >,
AstroPax <astro@skiutahlocals.com > wrote:

> >"Battan Death Catrack" :)
>
> Sounds like the run-out from Moonshine Bowl at Snowbasin, or that
> Honeycomb Canyon business.

Close :) It's my pet name for the track back to the lift if you take
the poma lift at Powder and go way, way (skiers) right. It's a
fantastic run until the return journey along the creek.

12 Jan 2004 01:42:54
Sven Golly
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net > wrote in

> Close :) It's my pet name for the track back to the lift if you
> take the poma lift at Powder and go way, way (skiers) right.
> It's a fantastic run until the return journey along the creek.

Take up skiing, use poles and it wouldn't be nearly the problem. ;-)

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

11 Jan 2004 20:51:19

In article <Xns946DB4E183975svengolly@130.133.1.4 >,
Sven Golly <sven_golly@myrealbox.com > wrote:

> Vern93 <vern93@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Close :) It's my pet name for the track back to the lift if you
> > take the poma lift at Powder and go way, way (skiers) right.
> > It's a fantastic run until the return journey along the creek.
>
> Take up skiing, use poles and it wouldn't be nearly the problem. ;-)

I've given thought to the poles... but the skiis? (shudder :) I find it
takes less energy to whine than it does to take up a new sport. And I'm
aware of the irony of complaing about a long flat cat track when you
consider the folks who posted here, Bob, Bob, Jeff, Andrew, probably
you, the list goes on.

Besides, I LOVE my boarding. Although the skiiers in the pipe this
year were really strong. (but I can't wait until they start hitting the
rails in force)

Dave

11 Jan 2004 19:19:02
Richard Henry

"scottabe" <scottabe@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> I'm sure Alan wants to have his
> life threatened, be falsely accused of molesting children, etc.

Especially that etc.

11 Jan 2004 19:25:56
scottabe
Re: Warning to Newbies: The psychopaths are here

in article JmoMb.23575$7D3.22713@fed1read02, Richard Henry at
rphenry@home.com wrote on 1/11/04 7:19 PM:

> "scottabe" <scottabe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm sure Alan wants to have his
>> life threatened, be falsely accused of molesting children, etc.
>
> Especially that etc.

Like having his home address posted to local newsgroups, encouraging
assholes to stalk him? You've got lots of etc. you've pulled, psychopath.

12 Jan 2004 08:02:04
Michael Dart
Re: Car hire in Utah

In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com > typed:
> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in
>> Salt Lake City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts,
>> and I'm about to organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions:
>> do I need a 4wd or snow chains? And which hire companies (based at
>> the airport) would you reccommend for low cost? Thanks,
>>
>> Al
>
> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>
> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
> you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
> other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
> almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
> Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
> I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
> and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
> consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
> doable.
>
> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>
> pigo

How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus stop
right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars, Pontiac
Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.

Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)

12 Jan 2004 08:38:38
Olaf Timandahaff
Re: Car hire in Utah

The smoke and gas belched outta that mine and everybody knew it was
the end of the line for BIG, "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com > :

>In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
>pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> typed:
>> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in
>>> Salt Lake City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts,
>>> and I'm about to organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions:
>>> do I need a 4wd or snow chains? And which hire companies (based at
>>> the airport) would you reccommend for low cost? Thanks,
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>>
>> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
>> you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
>> other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
>> almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
>> Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
>> I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
>> and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
>> consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
>> doable.
>>
>> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>>
>> pigo
>
>How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
>I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus stop
>right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars, Pontiac
>Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.
>
>Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)

Hell, nobody cares what Spock says about _anybody_!

12 Jan 2004 06:39:38
pigo
Re: Car hire in Utah

"Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com > wrote in message
> In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
> pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> typed:
> > "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in
> >> Salt Lake City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts,
> >> and I'm about to organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions:
> >> do I need a 4wd or snow chains? And which hire companies (based at
> >> the airport) would you reccommend for low cost? Thanks,
> >>
> >> Al
> >
> > My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
> >
> > I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
> > you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
> > other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
> > almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
> > Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
> > I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
> > and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
> > consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
> > doable.
> >
> > Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
> >
> > pigo
>
> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
> I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus
stop
> right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars,
Pontiac
> Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.

I don't use them but my sense is that if traffic is going they are going.
They might get crowded in those conditions.

As far as the sunbird goes, you probably just had to peddle faster.

Cooking in and taking your lunch could make up the difference in a car
rental. So it really depends on your priorities and budget. I would get here
and scrounge for any way to get up. Beyond that, if it's one more months
payment on the credit card, or bringing a sandwich (that's probably worth
$100/wk at least) that's a personal decision that you have to make.

> Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)

Nah. Who does? Since he knows where I live and I suspect he is closing in on
where I work, I have to consider that. But, I have! It almost would be a
welcome hassle because he *has* stepped up to the line but not all the way
over it. We're waiting. The only fret is when and where he "goes postal".
Too bad that political correctness has taken us to a point that ignores
public safety.

See you in March!

pigo

12 Jan 2004 07:17:12
scottabe
Michael Dart, Asshole

in article btu5q501aqd@enews2.newsguy.com, Michael Dart at mrdart@erols.com
wrote on 1/12/04 5:02 AM:

> In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
> pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> typed:
>> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in
>>> Salt Lake City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts,
>>> and I'm about to organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions:
>>> do I need a 4wd or snow chains? And which hire companies (based at
>>> the airport) would you reccommend for low cost? Thanks,
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>>
>> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
>> you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
>> other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
>> almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
>> Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
>> I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
>> and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
>> consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
>> doable.
>>
>> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>>
>> pigo
>
> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
> I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus stop
> right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars, Pontiac
> Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.
>
> Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)

You fit right in here, asshole. No objection to false allegations of child
molestation, taunting rape survivors, real life felonies, gross defamation.
Pigo is your kind of guy, eh?
Rsa is your kind of place.
No ethics, no morals, no decency.

12 Jan 2004 07:20:47
scottabe
Bob Thompson accuses me of his crimes.

in article d5-dncC7w8sAPp_dRVn-sA@comcast.com, pigo at
pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com wrote on 1/12/04 5:39 AM:

> "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com> wrote in message
>> In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
>> pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> typed:
>>> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>>>
>>> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
>>> you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
>>> other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
>>> almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
>>> Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
>>> I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
>>> and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
>>> consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
>>> doable.
>>>
>>> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>>>
>>> pigo
>>
>> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
>> I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus
> stop
>> right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars,
> Pontiac
>> Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.
>
> I don't use them but my sense is that if traffic is going they are going.
> They might get crowded in those conditions.
>
> As far as the sunbird goes, you probably just had to peddle faster.
>
> Cooking in and taking your lunch could make up the difference in a car
> rental. So it really depends on your priorities and budget. I would get here
> and scrounge for any way to get up. Beyond that, if it's one more months
> payment on the credit card, or bringing a sandwich (that's probably worth
> $100/wk at least) that's a personal decision that you have to make.
>
>> Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)
>
> Nah. Who does? Since he knows where I live and I suspect he is closing in on
> where I work, I have to consider that.

This from a stalking wacko who has posted my home address and gone after my
license. Fair is fair, isn't it?
Any reason you "suspect" that I'm closing in on where you work? Got any
evidence, or are you just making up another whopper to accuse me of what
you've been doing for years?

But, I have! It almost would be a
> welcome hassle because he *has* stepped up to the line but not all the way
> over it. We're waiting. The only fret is when and where he "goes postal".
> Too bad that political correctness has taken us to a point that ignores
> public safety.

Unlike this sick fuck, I don't stalk in real life. But I am tempted. Too
bad that law enforcement doesn't put people in jail for making false
allegations, defaming, stalking,a nd harassing.
More sick, insane lies from Bob Thompson, Stalker.
Hey, coward?
Planning on Utah around the end of the month. How about I give YOU a chance
to go postal and give YOU a chance to step over the line?
Did it five times already. You never showed, like the coward you are.

12 Jan 2004 11:46:58
Sven Golly
Re: Car hire in Utah

"Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com > wrote in

> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad
> weather?

More reliable than 2wd cars but not as reliable as 4x4. Seems to me if the
canyons are open but subject to 4x4 or chains required, the busses still
run 80% of the time.

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

12 Jan 2004 16:59:30
Michael Dart
Re: Car hire in Utah

In news:btuj22$jic@dispatch.concentric.net,
Sven Golly <sven_golly@myrealbox.com > typed:
> "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com> wrote in
>
>> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad
>> weather?
>
> More reliable than 2wd cars but not as reliable as 4x4. Seems to me
> if the canyons are open but subject to 4x4 or chains required, the
> busses still run 80% of the time.

That's good to know, thanks!

Mike

12 Jan 2004 17:04:56
Michael Dart
Re: Car hire in Utah

In news:d5-dncC7w8sAPp_dRVn-sA@comcast.com,
pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com > typed:
> "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com> wrote in message
>> In news:E5udncU_itdmQJzdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
>> pigo <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> typed:
>>> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>>>
>>> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
>>> you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
>>> other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
>>> almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
>>> Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
>>> I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
>>> and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
>>> consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
>>> doable.
>>>
>>> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>>>
>>> pigo
>>
>> How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad
>> weather? I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12.
>> there is a bus stop right in front of the hotel we're staying at in
>> Midvale. The cars, Pontiac Sunfires, we rented last year barely
>> made it up there on sunny days.
>
> I don't use them but my sense is that if traffic is going they are
> going. They might get crowded in those conditions.

That's true. Thanks.

<snip >

See you in March!

Hope to.

Mike

12 Jan 2004 17:29:20
Walt
Re: Car hire in Utah

Alan Rowland wrote:

> I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt Lake
> City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about to
> organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or snow
> chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you reccommend
> for low cost? Thanks,

The important question to ask is "why are you going to Utah?" There
seems to be two standard answers:

1) To ski the bottomless powder after a legendary Wasach dump.
2) To get in some enjoyable skiing in the mountains.

If you're going for the first reason, be ready to be disappointed,
'cause powder dumps are not guaranteed. But if you're looking for
powder you need to do everything you can to be able to take advantage of
a dump if it does happen. That means staying at the resort, or at least
4WD+chains.

If you're going for the second reason (which is most of us, whether
we're willing to admit it or not) any standard rental car that holds
your gear should suffice. If LCC/BCC is impassible, you can still
probably drive around to Park City and ski one of the three resorts
there. Or take the bus up the mountain. Your chances of bagging powder
will be greatly diminished, but most likely you'll still be able to ski.

So it really depends on what you're there to do. I'd feel pretty stupid
if I crossed an ocean looking to ski powder only to be stopped 15 miles
short because I was too cheap to pop the extra $100 for 4WD.

Personally, I don't bother with 4WD since I could give a rat's ass about
powder, and I try to watch my ski budget so that I can maximize the
number of days I get out on the slopes. YMMV.

And if you do rent 4WD, please remember that it doesn't make you
invincible. 4WD will help you get moving again if you stop in an
unfortunate place, but it isn't that much better at holding the road
than a front wheel drive car. On snowy days the ditches are full of
cowboys in SUV's and pickup trucks.

As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
premium rent from them.

Have fun on your vacation. Wish I was going.
--
//-Walt
//

12 Jan 2004 16:08:40
Ted
Re: Car hire in Utah

"Walt" <walt@boatnerd.com.invalid > wrote in message
> Alan Rowland wrote:
> >
> > I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt
Lake
> > City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about
> > organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or
snow
> > chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
reccommend
> > for low cost? Thanks,
>

> The important question to ask is "why are you going to Utah?" There
> seems to be two standard answers:
>
> 1) To ski the bottomless powder after a legendary Wasach dump.
> 2) To get in some enjoyable skiing in the mountains.
>
> If you're going for the first reason, be ready to be disappointed,
> 'cause powder dumps are not guaranteed. But if you're looking for
> powder you need to do everything you can to be able to take advantage of
> a dump if it does happen. That means staying at the resort, or at least
> 4WD+chains.
>
> If you're going for the second reason (which is most of us, whether
> we're willing to admit it or not) any standard rental car that holds
> your gear should suffice. If LCC/BCC is impassible, you can still
> probably drive around to Park City and ski one of the three resorts
> there. Or take the bus up the mountain. Your chances of bagging powder
> will be greatly diminished, but most likely you'll still be able to ski.
>
> So it really depends on what you're there to do. I'd feel pretty stupid
> if I crossed an ocean looking to ski powder only to be stopped 15 miles
> short because I was too cheap to pop the extra $100 for 4WD.
>
> Personally, I don't bother with 4WD since I could give a rat's ass about
> powder, and I try to watch my ski budget so that I can maximize the
> number of days I get out on the slopes. YMMV.
>
> And if you do rent 4WD, please remember that it doesn't make you
> invincible. 4WD will help you get moving again if you stop in an
> unfortunate place, but it isn't that much better at holding the road
> than a front wheel drive car. On snowy days the ditches are full of
> cowboys in SUV's and pickup trucks.
>
> As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
> reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
> major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
> Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
> premium rent from them.
>
> Have fun on your vacation. Wish I was going.
> --
> //-Walt
> //
> // There is no Volkl conspiracy

Very good post, expecially the 4x4 part.

12 Jan 2004 16:12:29
Ted
Re: Car hire in Utah

"Walt" <walt@boatnerd.com.invalid > wrote in message
> Alan Rowland wrote:
> >
> > I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt
Lake
> > City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about
> > organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or
snow
> > chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
reccommend
> > for low cost? Thanks,
>

> The important question to ask is "why are you going to Utah?" There
> seems to be two standard answers:
>
> 1) To ski the bottomless powder after a legendary Wasach dump.
> 2) To get in some enjoyable skiing in the mountains.
>
> If you're going for the first reason, be ready to be disappointed,
> 'cause powder dumps are not guaranteed. But if you're looking for
> powder you need to do everything you can to be able to take advantage of
> a dump if it does happen. That means staying at the resort, or at least
> 4WD+chains.
>
> If you're going for the second reason (which is most of us, whether
> we're willing to admit it or not) any standard rental car that holds
> your gear should suffice. If LCC/BCC is impassible, you can still
> probably drive around to Park City and ski one of the three resorts
> there. Or take the bus up the mountain. Your chances of bagging powder
> will be greatly diminished, but most likely you'll still be able to ski.
>
> So it really depends on what you're there to do. I'd feel pretty stupid
> if I crossed an ocean looking to ski powder only to be stopped 15 miles
> short because I was too cheap to pop the extra $100 for 4WD.
>
> Personally, I don't bother with 4WD since I could give a rat's ass about
> powder, and I try to watch my ski budget so that I can maximize the
> number of days I get out on the slopes. YMMV.
>
> And if you do rent 4WD, please remember that it doesn't make you
> invincible. 4WD will help you get moving again if you stop in an
> unfortunate place, but it isn't that much better at holding the road
> than a front wheel drive car. On snowy days the ditches are full of
> cowboys in SUV's and pickup trucks.
>
> As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
> reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
> major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
> Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
> premium rent from them.
>
> Have fun on your vacation. Wish I was going.
> --
> //-Walt
> //
> // There is no Volkl conspiracy

Other people drive too fast no matter what conditions

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=69092

13 Jan 2004 00:42:06
C. Parker
Re: Car hire in Utah

"pigo" <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt
Lake
> > City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about
> > organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or
snow
> > chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
> reccommend
> > for low cost? Thanks,
> >
> > Al
>
> My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
>
> I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If you
can
> take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The other option
> would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will almost always get
you
> to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon. Personally? The few extra
bucks
> are worth it. The few thousand extra I pay for a 4wd truck is justified
the
> first time I push the button and don't have to get out and dig or push.
But
> budget is a consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip,
> it's doable.
>
> Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
>
> pigo

Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest place
I could find.

C.

12 Jan 2004 17:00:11
scottabe-is-a-dick
Re: Michael Dart, Asshole

scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com > blathered in message
news:<BC27FA78.D866%scottabe@hotmail.com >...

> You fit right in here, asshole. No objection to false allegations of child
> molestation, taunting rape survivors, real life felonies, gross defamation.
> Pigo is your kind of guy, eh?
> Rsa is your kind of place.
> No ethics, no morals, no decency.

One thing we can count on, always hearing from the pathetic little man
with the tiny penis!

12 Jan 2004 17:01:25
Terry Morse
Re: Car hire in Utah

C. Parker wrote:

> Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
> be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
> 4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise.

Alta averages 92 inches of snowfall in March.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/

12 Jan 2004 17:02:04
scottabe-is-a-dick
Re: Bob Thompson accuses me of his crimes.

scottabe <scottabe@hotmail.com > blathered in message
news:<BC27FB4E.D867%scottabe@hotmail.com >...
> Unlike this sick fuck, I don't stalk in real life. But I am tempted. Too
> bad that law enforcement doesn't put people in jail for making false
> allegations, defaming, stalking,a nd harassing.
> More sick, insane lies from Bob Thompson, Stalker.
> Hey, coward?
> Planning on Utah around the end of the month. How about I give YOU a chance
> to go postal and give YOU a chance to step over the line?
> Did it five times already. You never showed, like the coward you are.

The pathetic little man with the tiny penis strikes again! Yahoo.

12 Jan 2004 19:19:07
Vern93
Re: Car hire in Utah

In article <40031FC0.2B422D7B@boatnerd.com.invalid >,
Walt <walt@boatnerd.com.invalid > wrote:

> As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
> reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
> major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
> Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
> premium rent from them.

I usually rent with the major brands, but last week when we were in SLC,
we rented from a compnay called "Rugged" rental. (http://www.ruggedrental.com/)
They have a shuttle that will meet you at the airport and their office
is close by. Their prices are low and the owner is there most time and
very nice. We got a nice 4WD Jeep SUV for less than we ever paid
before.

As for the value of a 4wd, I think it's worth it. YMMV. And just
because you can drive up a mountain in the morning doesn't mean
conditions won't suck on the way back down, ALTHOUGH they do an
excellent job of keeping those Cottonwood Canyon roads clear.

Dave

12 Jan 2004 19:18:23
pigo
Re: Car hire in Utah

"C. Parker" <cparker6@houston.rr.com > wrote in message

> "pigo" <pigopowderPANTS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alan Rowland" <alan_rowland@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt
> Lake
> > > City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about
> > > organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or
> snow
> > > chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you
> > reccommend
> > > for low cost? Thanks,
> > >
> > > Al
> >
> > My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.
> >
> > I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If you
> can
> > take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The other
option
> > would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will almost always get
> you
> > to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon. Personally? The few extra
> bucks
> > are worth it. The few thousand extra I pay for a 4wd truck is justified
> the
> > first time I push the button and don't have to get out and dig or push.
> But
> > budget is a consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the
trip,
> > it's doable.
> >
> > Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.
> >
> > pigo
> >

> Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year?

Only if it snows. It boils down to how disappointed you will be if you hit
the one of the few times it's really needed.

May can be deep.

We will
> be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between
> 4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest
place
> I could find.
>
> C.

14 Jan 2004 10:38:56
Walt
Re: Car hire in Utah

Walt wrote:

> As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
> reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
> major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
> Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
> premium rent from them.

Add Payless to the rental car companies who are on my permanent shit
list.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/business/13gps.htmlcolor=#0000FF> >

Short version: guy rented a car in California, drove to Nevada and
Arizona before bringing it back to California. Payless had a clause in
the fine print of the contract that said any car that crossed the state
lines would be charged $1/mile. Instead of the expected $259 bill, he
was charged $3,405.05.

NEVER rent from Payless. They're crooks.

--
//-Walt
//

14 Jan 2004 08:58:49
Chester Bullock
Re: Car hire in Utah

Walt wrote:

> Walt wrote:
>

>>As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
>>reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
>>major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
>>Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
>>premium rent from them.
>

> Add Payless to the rental car companies who are on my permanent shit
> list.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/business/13gps.html>
>
> Short version: guy rented a car in California, drove to Nevada and
> Arizona before bringing it back to California. Payless had a clause in
> the fine print of the contract that said any car that crossed the state
> lines would be charged $1/mile. Instead of the expected $259 bill, he
> was charged $3,405.05.
>
> NEVER rent from Payless. They're crooks.

OMG, that way sucks.
----------------------
Chester
chester@black-diamond.com
5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

17 Jan 2004 00:29:08
Brent Harsh
Re: Car hire in Utah

C. Parker wrote:

> Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
> be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
> 4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest place
> I could find.

Don't know about Utah and if necessary - but ask the rental agencies
if they have the AWD Subaru cars. We just skiied at Baker for a
couple days, driving from Seattle in between the snowstorms. I looked
at the 4WD prices and thought they were nuts - then Dollar said they
had AWD Subarus - and it was a midsize car price of $29 a day. It got
us through a bunch of snow each day up the mountain (17 mile drive to
closest accomodations!). When renting, I'll definitetly ask for them
since it was pretty cheap, AWD, and roomy.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /" ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner / NO to HTML in email and news.