25 Nov 2004 17:28:44
nic in la tania
alp d'huez

whats alp d'huez like , may be going over to look at a business over there ,
does anyone know much about the bars/restaurants & nightlife ??

good snow record ?
gimme all your info pleeeeeese

--
Cheers
Nic & Karen

26 Nov 2004 00:19:45
David Off
Re: alp d'huez

nic in la tania wrote:
> good snow record ?

here is a picture from just before last Christmas

http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/images/globalwarming/alpedhuez.jpg

a bit like la Tania but without trees I would think :-)

26 Nov 2004 18:53:15
Pip Luscher
Re: alp d'huez

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:28:44 +0100, "nic in la tania"
<nic@accommodationinthealps.co.uk > wrote:

>whats alp d'huez like , may be going over to look at a business over there ,
>does anyone know much about the bars/restaurants & nightlife ??
>
>good snow record ?
>gimme all your info pleeeeeese

Well, I've only been there once in late season and that was roughly a
decade ago, but:

The village is in a sort of bowl that's south facing, so it's sunny
but can get very icy. Some "intermediate" pistes can get crowded.

The village is steeper than it looks on the maps (well, it is in ski
boots) but there is a "bucket lift" that'll get you across the
village... eventually.

There appeared to be a fair bit of challenging stuff, including some
easily accessible off-piste runs. At the time I wasn't confident
enough to try the blacks - it was *very* icy when I went and I wasn't
that experienced.

There was a very nice mountain restaraunt on the way to Vaujany.

If the Gorges de Sarenne is closed (and thus the Sarenne black too)
then the only way to the Signal de l'Homme area is via a long chair
that goes over tennis courts, under the altiport runway, down into the
Gorges de Sarenne and up the other side. They call it "the scare
chair". It's nowhere near as scary as it's made out to be, though.

I'm not a great Apres-ski person, but the English bar in our club
hotel was lively and there was a nice restaraunt elsewhere in the
village that did a free taxi service.

I'd like to visit the place again under better conditions.

--
-Pip

26 Nov 2004 19:53:57
nic in la tania
Re: alp d'huez

jeez david , you're a bundle of fun at the mo !

--
"nic in la tania" <nic@accommodationinthealps.co.uk > wrote in message
> whats alp d'huez like , may be going over to look at a business over there
,
> does anyone know much about the bars/restaurants & nightlife ??
>
> good snow record ?
> gimme all your info pleeeeeese
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nic & Karen
> www.accommodationinthealps.co.uk
> 0033479082376

26 Nov 2004 21:56:55
Sue
Re: alp d'huez

In message <41a66721$0$25529$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-05.noos.net >, David
Off <david.off_dumpthisbit_@voila.fr > writes
>nic in la tania wrote:
>> good snow record ?
>
>here is a picture from just before last Christmas
>
>http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/images/globalwarming/alpedhuez.jpg
>
>a bit like la Tania but without trees I would think :-)

You're right, it's absolutely nothing like la Tania !

--
Sue ];(:)