23 Feb 2006 15:07:43
NM
Zermatt?

Has anyone returned from Zermatt in the last few days?

How are snow conditions at the top, middle and bottom of the resort?

I've checked the various web reports, of course, such as the SCGB, but
they rarely reflect reality on the ground.

Going out next week.

Thanks in advance.

NM.

24 Feb 2006 15:17:30
Eugene Miya
Re: Zermatt?

In article <1140736063.189634.8550@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com >,
NM <neilmaw@gmail.com > wrote:
>Has anyone returned from Zermatt in the last few days?

I was across the Rhone opposite side of the valley.

>How are snow conditions at the top, middle and bottom of the resort?

Likely OK. Decent coverage.

The big problem, as always, is off piste.
My skis are now approoaching the rock ski phase.

--

02 Mar 2006 10:07:12
SteveH

I'm in Zermatt right now. Conditions on piste are OK, just. Cover is
thin and it's pretty rocky in the exposed areas. Where there is snow
making the cover is OK though, but it's very hard packed. It's cold
though, so no real ice around and what snow there is is going to stay
put for a while. Apparently the base is averaging about 40cm at the
top, which is not good, but I'm afraid to say that I find that figure a
bit optimistic.

If you are after piste skiing I'd say you will be OK, most pistes are
open. If you are after off-piste I'm afraid you are out of luck, all
the ski routes are closed and with good reason. Apart from the thin
cover it is wind blown and crusty off the groomers.

Sorry to be the bearer of average news. If it's any consolation I'm
enjoying it all the same, the restaurants are great:-)

Steve

02 Mar 2006 21:34:04
Ace
Re: Zermatt?

On 2 Mar 2006 10:07:12 -0800, "SteveH" <steve_a_haigh@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>I'm in Zermatt right now. Conditions on piste are OK, just. Cover is
>thin and it's pretty rocky in the exposed areas. Where there is snow
>making the cover is OK though, but it's very hard packed. It's cold
>though, so no real ice around and what snow there is is going to stay
>put for a while. Apparently the base is averaging about 40cm at the
>top, which is not good, but I'm afraid to say that I find that figure a
>bit optimistic.
>
>If you are after piste skiing I'd say you will be OK, most pistes are
>open. If you are after off-piste I'm afraid you are out of luck, all
>the ski routes are closed and with good reason. Apart from the thin
>cover it is wind blown and crusty off the groomers.
>
>Sorry to be the bearer of average news. If it's any consolation I'm
>enjoying it all the same, the restaurants are great:-)

Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
down.

Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

02 Mar 2006 22:28:14
PSmith
Re: Zermatt?

From what I have seen reported on the Zermatt website, I don't recall
Stockhorn as being open at anytime this season.

I am arriving on Saturday, but I suspect I shall be skiing the entire week
with my 5 year old daughter because Stoked cannot confirm that they will be
operating the Snowflakes kids ski club because of too few children.

Paul Smith

"SteveH" <steve_a_haigh@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I'm in Zermatt right now. Conditions on piste are OK, just. Cover is
> thin and it's pretty rocky in the exposed areas. Where there is snow
> making the cover is OK though, but it's very hard packed. It's cold
> though, so no real ice around and what snow there is is going to stay
> put for a while. Apparently the base is averaging about 40cm at the
> top, which is not good, but I'm afraid to say that I find that figure a
> bit optimistic.
>
> If you are after piste skiing I'd say you will be OK, most pistes are
> open. If you are after off-piste I'm afraid you are out of luck, all
> the ski routes are closed and with good reason. Apart from the thin
> cover it is wind blown and crusty off the groomers.
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of average news. If it's any consolation I'm
> enjoying it all the same, the restaurants are great:-)
>
> Steve

05 Mar 2006 02:07:26
SteveH
Re: Zermatt?

PSmith wrote:
> From what I have seen reported on the Zermatt website, I don't recall
> Stockhorn as being open at anytime this season.
>
> I am arriving on Saturday, but I suspect I shall be skiing the entire week
> with my 5 year old daughter because Stoked cannot confirm that they will be
> operating the Snowflakes kids ski club because of too few children.

It was snowing heavily yesterday (Sat 4th March), so it looks like
anyone arrving soon will have some better snow...

06 Mar 2006 21:19:54
Pip Luscher
Re: Zermatt?

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:34:04 +0100, Ace <seesig@virgin.net > wrote:

>Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
>down.
>
>Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...

According to the ski clib website you're in Alpe d'Huez next week. If
so then I'll probably see you there, all being well.

--
-Pip

20 Mar 2006 04:20:13
Ace
Re: Zermatt?

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:19:54 GMT, Pip Luscher
<pips.computer@spammers.foad.ntlworld.co.uk > wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:34:04 +0100, Ace <seesig@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
>>down.
>>
>>Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...
>
>According to the ski clib website you're in Alpe d'Huez next week. If
>so then I'll probably see you there, all being well.

I was, he was, all was well. Good skiing was had by all.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)