10 Dec 2007 19:49:32
RightEagle
Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

Has anyone ever thought about this, It does not seem like there would
be a lot, but I suppose any amount might matter? Read this press
release, it kind of makes you think.

http://www.enviromountain.com/Press_Release.htm




11 Dec 2007 09:03:49
Rob White
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

Just another envio scare from an American company flogging its own product.
He bangs on about the "foreign" waxes as if the USA waxes are any different
and then stresses how his product is from American farmers and helps their
trade balance. Even if he is right about the 1255 tons of wax left on
American mountains, that's a drop in the ocean compared to the jet and car
fuel skiers use to get there, let alone the fuel running the resorts etc.

Rob


"RightEagle" <therighteagle@msn.com > wrote in message
news:d3b51ee6-a382-4f73-a9d4-4bd44052f181@18g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Has anyone ever thought about this, It does not seem like there would
> be a lot, but I suppose any amount might matter? Read this press
> release, it kind of makes you think.
>
> http://www.enviromountain.com/Press_Release.htm
>
>




12 Dec 2007 12:54:01
Switters
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 03:49:32 GMT, RightEagle <therighteagle@msn.com >
allegedly wrote:

> Read this press release, it kind of makes you think.

I hate it when idiots post to the group like they've stumbled across
something, and all the time, they're just spamming their stupid product.


12 Dec 2007 15:41:30
Mister Niceguy
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

"Rob White" <mail@robandpenny.co.uk > wrote in
news:o_-dne5h4aTnz8PanZ2dnUVZ8vKdnZ2d@pipex.net:

> Just another envio scare from an American company flogging its own
> product. He bangs on about the "foreign" waxes as if the USA waxes are
> any different and then stresses how his product is from American
> farmers and helps their trade balance. Even if he is right about the
> 1255 tons of wax left on American mountains, that's a drop in the
> ocean compared to the jet and car fuel skiers use to get there, let
> alone the fuel running the resorts etc.
>
> Rob
>
>
> "RightEagle" <therighteagle@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:d3b51ee6-a382-4f73-a9d4-4bd44052f181@18g2000hsf.googlegroups.com..
> .
>> Has anyone ever thought about this, It does not seem like there would
>> be a lot, but I suppose any amount might matter? Read this press
>> release, it kind of makes you think.
>>
>> http://www.enviromountain.com/Press_Release.htm
>>
>>
>
>

Yes, I would have to agree with you Rob. Ski wax is one of the last
pollutants we need to worry about.


13 Dec 2007 01:02:15
Alun Evans
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???


> Yes, I would have to agree with you Rob. Ski wax is one of the last
> pollutants we need to worry about.


So as it happens I was riding down in the Heavenly (Lake Tahoe)
gondola with a veteran ski instructor on Sunday.

She was talking about the changes since Vail resorts took over, one of
the biggest being their environmental conservation policies.

Apparently they built large water cleaning facilities that collect the
snow melt run-off from the mountain and they purify it before it flows
to the Lake. The reason being the debris / rubbish, random fluids from
snow-cats / chair lifts, and yes, wax from skis / boards.

We were surprised by the wax comment and did ask "really?!?", and she
said it was the case.


Still, I tend to agree with the OP on the product peddling :)



A.

--
Alun Evans


13 Dec 2007 09:43:25
Mister Niceguy
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

Alun Evans <alun@bSaPdAgMeSrPoAuMs.net > wrote in news:ygvnve73vug8.fsf@dc3-
rtg-lnx-4.cisco.com:

>
>> Yes, I would have to agree with you Rob. Ski wax is one of the last
>> pollutants we need to worry about.
>
>
> So as it happens I was riding down in the Heavenly (Lake Tahoe)
> gondola with a veteran ski instructor on Sunday.
>
> She was talking about the changes since Vail resorts took over, one of
> the biggest being their environmental conservation policies.
>
> Apparently they built large water cleaning facilities that collect the
> snow melt run-off from the mountain and they purify it before it flows
> to the Lake. The reason being the debris / rubbish, random fluids from
> snow-cats / chair lifts, and yes, wax from skis / boards.
>
> We were surprised by the wax comment and did ask "really?!?", and she
> said it was the case.


I would have thought that fuel/oil/lubricant leakage would be much higher
as would discarded rubbish, foodstuffs etc.

I find the figure of 1255 tons hard to believe. What's that per skier
then?

> Still, I tend to agree with the OP on the product peddling :)

Yes, well that's another matter.


13 Dec 2007 12:43:44
Ace
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:02:15 -0800, Alun Evans
<alun@bSaPdAgMeSrPoAuMs.net > wrote:

>
>> Yes, I would have to agree with you Rob. Ski wax is one of the last
>> pollutants we need to worry about.
>
>
>So as it happens I was riding down in the Heavenly (Lake Tahoe)
>gondola with a veteran ski instructor on Sunday.
>
>She was talking about the changes since Vail resorts took over, one of
>the biggest being their environmental conservation policies.
>
>Apparently they built large water cleaning facilities that collect the
>snow melt run-off from the mountain and they purify it before it flows
>to the Lake. The reason being the debris / rubbish, random fluids from
>snow-cats / chair lifts, and yes, wax from skis / boards.

In many places the largest single pollutant in ski-area runoff is the
chemicals added to the water for use in snow cannons. Any green policy
should start looking at this, then air pollution from old
diesel-operated lifts, way ahead of the effects of ski wax. I'd have
thought.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


13 Dec 2007 19:45:24
RightEagle
Re: Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

On Dec 11, 2:03 am, "Rob White" <m...@robandpenny.co.uk > wrote:
> Just another envio scare from an American company flogging its own product.
> He bangs on about the "foreign" waxes as if the USA waxes are any different
> and then stresses how his product is from American farmers and helps their
> trade balance. Even if he is right about the 1255 tons ofwaxleft on
> American mountains, that's a drop in the ocean compared to the jet and car
> fuel skiers use to get there, let alone the fuel running the resorts etc.
>
> Rob
>
>
So does that does that mean that little pollution is ok.

If you could buy wax made with products grown by European Farmers woud
that be better than Importing more oil from the Middle East, or
drilling more oil in the North Sea.

Also, even if the 2.81 million pounds is small compared to the jet and
car fuel, at least its a step in the right direction.

One more thing, I see your point about banging on foreign waxes. He
was trying to make the point about imported crude oil and petroleum. I
will give him a verbal lashing unlike anything a self serving American
has ever heard for offending you.

the eagle