15 Feb 2006 21:10:29
Bill
Payment for ski hire in Italy

Anybody know whether it's normal to pay a 3% charge when using a Debit card
in Italy ?
The rep charged us 3% when paying for ski hire, pass etc on the transfer,
claiming it was normal when using a Debit or Credit card in Italy.

Skiing was excellent but wouldn't want to be in Sauze d'oulx during a busy
period.

15 Feb 2006 21:32:51
Alex Heney
Re: Payment for ski hire in Italy

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:10:29 GMT, "Bill"
<bill.irving@nospamntlworld.com > wrote:

>Anybody know whether it's normal to pay a 3% charge when using a Debit card
>in Italy ?

I don't think so.

>The rep charged us 3% when paying for ski hire, pass etc on the transfer,
>claiming it was normal when using a Debit or Credit card in Italy.

I didn't buy any from the rep on the coach (I had my own equipment,
and I wanted to try and get an hour skiing on arrival - which I did,
but meant I had to get my own pass), but on my trip to the dolomites,
he was saying there would be a charge for credit cards, but not for
debit cards.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
With friends like these, who needs to hallucinate?

Ollie Clark

Bill wrote:
> Anybody know whether it's normal to pay a 3% charge when using a Debit card
> in Italy ?
> The rep charged us 3% when paying for ski hire, pass etc on the transfer,
> claiming it was normal when using a Debit or Credit card in Italy.

Certainly not last year when I was there. Paid for supermarket shops,
alcohol, cigarettes, ski hire, ski passes, ski servicing, meals etc. etc.
on debit card and never got charged.

Then again, the rep on the coach tried to flog us lift passes saying there
was only one place to buy them in resort and it was miles from our
appartment. I wanted an extra half a day anyway so I said I'd take my
chances and walk. Turned out every single lift sold lift passes and the
nearest was approx 30 seconds (yes, seconds) walk from our appartment. And
they gave me the extra half day for free.

I think they'll say anything to get their commision. I'd have taken my
chances with waiting til I got to resort. The worst that could happen is
you're charged the same as the rep was charging. Having said that I have
met some excellent reps and even this one was very helpful (if fairly
clueless) about the resort. I'd probably be the same if I was on the pay
they're on. It's not even as if they get to ski much from what he was
saying. :(

--

http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html

19 Feb 2006 20:25:46
AH
Re: Payment for ski hire in Italy

I've heard of places charging 1.5% (which is Visa's charge), but not 3%