09 Aug 2004 16:21:20
eezee
New Year skiing

My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.

How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?

I know it is likely to cost a fair bit more!

Regards

09 Aug 2004 17:32:06
Nigel
Re: New Year skiing

There definitely open in Austria however, bare in mind resorts are
packed at that time.

eezee wrote:
> My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
> over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.
>
> How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
> period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?
>
> I know it is likely to cost a fair bit more!
>
> Regards

09 Aug 2004 17:33:35
Ace
Re: New Year skiing

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:21:20 +0100, "eezee" <not@home.now > wrote:

>My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
>over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.
>
>How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
>period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?

All ski schools will be open, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.
Some may have special hours on New year's day, I guess (not sure about
this) but other than that, it's a normal working week. Christmas even
more so.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

PSmith
Re: New Year skiing

I have generally found that New Year is just another day. On the "eve" many
bars may only let you in if you have a ticket. Restaurant bookings are
certainly advisable.

As far as Christmas day is concerned, its also business as usual. The only
"problem" that I have encounered is Christmas Eve: this is the big day in
most countries, and "festivities" commence in the afternoon. This means that
many bars and restaurants may be closed or open to people with reservations
only.

On all the "big" holiday days, nothing interferes with skiing! All the lifts
are open as usual.

Paul

"Ace" <b.rogers@virgin.net > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:21:20 +0100, "eezee" <not@home.now> wrote:
>
> >My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
> >over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.
> >
> >How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
> >period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?
>
> All ski schools will be open, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.
> Some may have special hours on New year's day, I guess (not sure about
> this) but other than that, it's a normal working week. Christmas even
> more so.
>
> --
> Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
> Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
> All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
Ski Club.

09 Aug 2004 19:28:31
Owen
Re: New Year skiing

In Mayrhofen, Austria, where I work all ski schools close on New
Year's day therefore no group lessons. The lifts however are open. It
is sometimes possible to arrange private lessons on New Year's day.
This means you have to pay a premium rate and get an instructor
nursing a hangover ;-) Even if group classes are available on New
Year's day will you attend? I guess that depends on how you spend the
previous evening!

Every other day of the season is business as usual.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:33:35 +0200, Ace <b.rogers@virgin.net > wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:21:20 +0100, "eezee" <not@home.now> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
>>over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.
>>
>>How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
>>period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?
>
>All ski schools will be open, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.
>Some may have special hours on New year's day, I guess (not sure about
>this) but other than that, it's a normal working week. Christmas even
>more so.

10 Aug 2004 20:12:32
Jeremy Westhead
Re: New Year skiing

Lech should be open in all respects.
"eezee" <not@home.now > wrote in message news:2npj3gF35vhvU1@uni-berlin.de...
> My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
> over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.
>
> How easy will it be to find a ski school open over this
> period in France or Austria, or do they all close down?
>
> I know it is likely to cost a fair bit more!
>
> Regards

18 Aug 2004 15:57:08
Turan Fettahoglu
Re: New Year skiing

> My girlfriend wants to take up skiing (I have skied a little
> over the years) and she wants to go at New Year.

Any place in the Alps will be open at Christmas / New Year, and probably
full.

Keep in mind:
- Most hotels only accept bookings of nine days or more at this time.
- Outside Christmas / New Year, a skiing holiday mostly is booked from
Saturday to Saturday, which means that there may be congestions on every
motorway to the Alps on this day.
- In the last few years there was not too much snow around Christmas.
Perhaps January would be a better and cheaper idea?
- If you come by car, bring snow chains with you.

Enjoy your stay!

Turan

20 Aug 2004 09:26:17
eezee
Re: New Year skiing

"Jeremy Westhead" <jeremywesthead@btopenworld.com > wrote in message
> Lech should be open in all respects.

Thanks for all the advice folk. Lech is one of the places
we are considering. However, family commitments mean
that we won't be able to get there until the Monday before
New Year.

My only worry is that the ski schools will restrict their
group lessons to starting on a Sunday. Maybe there
would be more flexibility and options in a bigger resort?

20 Aug 2004 11:37:18
Carl_M
Re: New Year skiing

> Thanks for all the advice folk. Lech is one of the places
> we are considering. However, family commitments mean
> that we won't be able to get there until the Monday before
> New Year.
>
> My only worry is that the ski schools will restrict their
> group lessons to starting on a Sunday. Maybe there
> would be more flexibility and options in a bigger resort?

With Christmas day on a Saturday most resorts are having their
turnaround day on Sunday or Monday over Chistmas or a 9 day
Christmas/5 day New year. Not sure what Lech is doing but I would be
surprised if the group lessons start on the Sunday. They may start on
the Monday however so you may miss the first day (depending when you
arrive).

20 Aug 2004 21:17:49
Turan Fettahoglu
Re: New Year skiing

> My only worry is that the ski schools will restrict their
> group lessons to starting on a Sunday. Maybe there
> would be more flexibility and options in a bigger resort?

Lech IS a big resort, and I am quite sure that group lessons will start any
day there.

Oh, and Lech is considered good, but expensive.

HTH
Turan

22 Aug 2004 22:38:14
Sue
Re: New Year skiing

In message <cg5ip0$87f$05$1@news.t-online.com >, Turan Fettahoglu
<Turan.Fe@web.de > writes
>> My only worry is that the ski schools will restrict their
>> group lessons to starting on a Sunday. Maybe there
>> would be more flexibility and options in a bigger resort?
>
>Lech IS a big resort, and I am quite sure that group lessons will start
>any day there.

Ski schools can be oversubscribed at Xmas-New Year, so book your lessons
when you book your holiday. Use Google to find some ski school websites
you can book through.
Then you can enjoy watching the school organiser doing his nut because
he hasn't enough instructors to go round.

--
Sue ];(:)

27 Aug 2004 09:26:07
PG
Re: New Year skiing

"Owen" <owen@nospamtheoboe.co.uk > wrote in message
| In Mayrhofen, Austria, where I work all ski schools close on New
| Year's day therefore no group lessons. The lifts however are open. It
| is sometimes possible to arrange private lessons on New Year's day.
| This means you have to pay a premium rate and get an instructor
| nursing a hangover ;-) Even if group classes are available on New
| Year's day will you attend? I guess that depends on how you spend the
| previous evening!
|
| Every other day of the season is business as usual.

Business as usual here in Les Arcs and virtually all other resorts in
France. No premium rates for private lessons, although hangovers are
likely wherever you end up!

Pete
http://bsm.alpesprovence.netSNOWeSCAPE