29 Nov 2004 12:52:16
Steve Pardoe
La Clusaz (FR), first week February?

Hi, all,

Partly because we can get cheap accommodation there, we're looking at going
to La Clusaz end Jan - early February (wk 0505). Skiclub's historical
record suggests they had reasonable snow for last two seasons at that time,
but only just - any thoughts about the coming one? How easy is it to get
to better / higher resorts from there?

We are oldies (late 50's) and this will be only about our fifth week ever ;
what's La Clusaz like for early-intermediates? We were happy on the easier
Reds in Cervinia last year, for example, but found Zermatt (Gornergrat)
steep.

Any help very welcome!

Steve P

29 Nov 2004 14:03:39
Ace
Re: La Clusaz (FR), first week February?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:52:16 -0000, "Steve Pardoe"
<steveSP@AMpardoes.com > wrote:

>Hi, all,
>
>Partly because we can get cheap accommodation there, we're looking at going
>to La Clusaz end Jan - early February (wk 0505). Skiclub's historical
>record suggests they had reasonable snow for last two seasons at that time,
>but only just - any thoughts about the coming one?

You not got a crystal ball then? You'd do as well with that as any
three-month forecast. FWIW it's a nice enough village but I had a very
poor experience there a couple of years ago, mainly due to some local
hostility to the Ski Club, which is why we no longer have a rep there.

I was there in February a couple of years back and there was
reasonable snow cover, with deep powder on the first day or two,
although it rained on several days, sometimes heavily, so the lower
areas were getting pretty washed out.

>How easy is it to get
>to better / higher resorts from there?

You can drive to Les Gets (not higher, but links with Morzine etc.) or
Samoens in about half an hour, Les Carroz and Flaine about 45 minutes
and Chamonix perhaps an hour. But no realistic public transport
options exist.

>We are oldies (late 50's) and this will be only about our fifth week ever ;
>what's La Clusaz like for early-intermediates? We were happy on the easier
>Reds in Cervinia last year, for example, but found Zermatt (Gornergrat)
>steep.

Hmmm., well I guess there's a fair proportion of easy stuff, but it's
a small resort in the first place, so you may well fiond it somewhat
limiting if you stick to the easier runs. Also bear in mind that, like
many stations, the easier runs are lower down, so prone to suffer
worst if the conditions aren't good.

Personally I'd recommend staying in Samoens (for the Grand Massif) as
a nearby alternative with equal village charm, a better snow record
and a massive area in which to ski, with _lots_ of suitable runs.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Roger Moss
Re: La Clusaz (FR), first week February?

The La Clusaz lift system seems much improved since my visit, about 4 years
ago. I'd say it'll be fine for your levels, with some very nice morning
skiing up around the Manigod area. There's some steepish terrain if you want
to build confidence (and fitness) too, none of it too lengthy. Afternoons
can find this area losing snow quality first, so it generally pays head
across to the opposite end of the domain - Balme - which is where the
upgrades to the lift system come into play.

La Grand Bornand is only about 10min drive away, yet with a different feel,
with French families much in evidence most of the time.

Everything depends on snow cover, but that of La Clusaz can be better than
altitude alone would suggest - we did it in early April, and still enjoyed
it... even if not quite as much as in Big White, Silverstar Mountain and Sun
Peaks in British Columbia the week before... :-)

Good luck.

RM

"Steve Pardoe" <steveSP@AMpardoes.com > wrote in message
> Hi, all,
>
> Partly because we can get cheap accommodation there, we're looking at
> going
> to La Clusaz end Jan - early February (wk 0505). Skiclub's historical
> record suggests they had reasonable snow for last two seasons at that
> time,
> but only just - any thoughts about the coming one? How easy is it to get
> to better / higher resorts from there?
>
> We are oldies (late 50's) and this will be only about our fifth week ever
> ;
> what's La Clusaz like for early-intermediates? We were happy on the
> easier
> Reds in Cervinia last year, for example, but found Zermatt (Gornergrat)
> steep.
>
> Any help very welcome!
>
> Steve P

29 Nov 2004 22:49:13
Steve Haigh

Steve Pardoe wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Partly because we can get cheap accommodation there, we're looking at going
> to La Clusaz end Jan - early February (wk 0505). Skiclub's historical
> record suggests they had reasonable snow for last two seasons at that time,
> but only just - any thoughts about the coming one?
Well, if it ain't any good at the end of Jan at least you can console
yorself that it must be a shocking season...

How easy is it to get
> to better / higher resorts from there?
That's the good news, there is a lot of good reliable snow with about an
hour's drive of where you'l be. The Flaine network (Samoens or Les
Carroz will be the best places to drive to) will be a good bet, and Les
Contamines (head towards Chamonix but turn right at St Gervais I think)
has a very good snow record.

30 Nov 2004 12:36:01
Steve Pardoe
Re: La Clusaz (FR), first week February?

Hi, all,

"Steve Pardoe" <steveSP@AMpardoes.com > wrote in message
> Hi, all,
>
> Partly because we can get cheap accommodation there, we're looking at
going
> to La Clusaz end Jan - early February (wk 0505).

Many thanks for the very helpful replies!

Steve