25 Jul 2004 14:34:19
Paul Richardson
Italy easter 2005

Would like to glean a few opinions please - been looking at options
for the week of 19/3/05 - nice and early so good chance of reasonable
snow hopefully.
Mixed family group of good boarders (the kids!) and bog standard
intermediate parents.

Favoured options:

Cervinia for reliable snow.

Eastern Dolomites (Arabba, Alleghe, Selva?) for scenery but maybe not
so good for boarders? (Drag lifts, gentler runs)

Livigno 'cos it's a long way from the airport and might be quieter??

Never been to any of the above. Have been to Madonna, Tonale, and
Claviere and enjoyed them all.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Leigh
Lancs

28 Jul 2004 00:10:59
dickie
Re: Italy easter 2005

hello,
i have not been to the locations
that you mentioned but i wlll tell
you where i have been and we can deal
with them accordingly .
cervenia/zermatt , courmayeur/chamonix ,
val gardena , arraba , momilarde , cortina,
christalo , pila, and many i,ve forgotten .
if i can send you in the right direction ,
i'd be happy to do so .
note: also christallo , which is great .
regards,
d.

07 Aug 2004 08:31:44
AG
Re: Italy easter 2005

Paul Richardson <doc_paul@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<usg7g0pu1si4rocs3ngt8fbhos0tth2dl5@4ax.com>...
> Would like to glean a few opinions please - been looking at options
> for the week of 19/3/05 - nice and early so good chance of reasonable
> snow hopefully.
> Mixed family group of good boarders (the kids!) and bog standard
> intermediate parents.
>
> Favoured options:
>
> Cervinia for reliable snow.

Have been to Zermatt in March and skid 2 days in Cervinia. Good snow
but for the last few hundred meters of slush. Can clock up high
mileage as a battery of charilifts with variations down. All a bit
'the same' though with intermediate (not challenging) reds and tame
blues. A bit stark for a full week but fun if you want to get lots of
mileage. One long run of 12km from top to bottom - option of Zermatt
as well the other side of the top lifts.

> Eastern Dolomites (Arabba, Alleghe, Selva?) for scenery but maybe not
> so good for boarders? (Drag lifts, gentler runs)

Would highly recommend Arabba and have been there 2x. Gives access to
vast amounts of skiing. Direct access onto the Sella Ronda in both
directions. THis gives you 25 km of skiing in a day round the Sella
Massif over 4 passes without having to use a drag lift. Do even more
if you deviate off into some of the ski areas you pass through.
Arabba has about 4 blacks and 3 reds and is probably the most
snowsure. Selva not a bad option or neighbouring Ortisei. Selva
about an hours skiing from Arabba. Selva has a world cup black which
is quite fun but short. From what you say about drags and gentler
runs, avoid Canazei, Campitello, Corvara and San Cassiano as othe
options on the Sella Ronda. Drove through Alleghe which has a
beautiful lakeside location, but based along a busy road and a little
limited I would think.

> Livigno 'cos it's a long way from the airport and might be quieter??

I wouldn't go from what I have read - boring unchallenging and
fragmeented skiing???

> Never been to any of the above. Have been to Madonna, Tonale, and
> Claviere and enjoyed them all.

Love to hear what you think of Madonna as this is on my list for next
season.