23 Sep 2005 20:53:10
Steve Olive
Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Hi all.

I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
resort recommendation or two.
Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
really)

This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine of
course.

Here's what we liked about 1850, and therefore what we are looking for in
another resort.

1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..


That's all really.
We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it will
be a busy(ish) time.
Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
rules out a few places of course.

We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Thanks very much.
Steve




23 Sep 2005 20:06:05
ash
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Les Arcs, though a slightly longer transfer time.

"Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote in message
news:x_SdnWLZ3IGJwKneRVnyjw@pipex.net...
> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
> resort recommendation or two.
> Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
> Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
> really)
>
> This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine
> of course.
>
> Here's what we liked about 1850, and therefore what we are looking for in
> another resort.
>
> 1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
> 2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
> 3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
> 4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
> 5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really
> hated the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
>
>
> That's all really.
> We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it
> will be a busy(ish) time.
> Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
> rules out a few places of course.
>
> We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
> suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.
>
> Thanks very much.
> Steve
>




23 Sep 2005 21:13:48
Steve Olive
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"ash" <yankamolarout@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:dh1n7d$6e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Les Arcs, though a slightly longer transfer time.
>

Looks good on 1ski.com
Cheers




23 Sep 2005 22:44:12
PSmith
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Ischgl in Austria.
Zermatt in Switzeland.

"ash" <yankamolarout@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:dh1n7d$6e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Les Arcs, though a slightly longer transfer time.
>
> "Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:x_SdnWLZ3IGJwKneRVnyjw@pipex.net...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
>> resort recommendation or two.
>> Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
>> Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
>> really)
>>
>> This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine
>> of course.
>>
>> Here's what we liked about 1850, and therefore what we are looking for in
>> another resort.
>>
>> 1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
>> 2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
>> 3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
>> 4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
>> 5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really
>> hated the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
>>
>>
>> That's all really.
>> We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it
>> will be a busy(ish) time.
>> Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
>> rules out a few places of course.
>>
>> We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
>> suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>> Steve
>>
>
>




23 Sep 2005 23:02:36
Steve Olive
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
Why haven't I heard of that?

Could be the one, though I do like the look of Arc 1950

Cheers though




24 Sep 2005 09:40:53
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk >:
>Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
>Why haven't I heard of that?

I investigated Ischgl a few years ago. I couldn't find a decent priced
Ferienwohnung anywhere near; they were all much more than I'm used to paying
in Switzerland.

Maybe I should have looked at Samnaun (linked to Ischgl but in CH), but
driving there in the winter could be a problem I guess; the road up to the
village is hairy enough in the summer!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk


24 Sep 2005 08:53:37
ash
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Ischgl is expensive and one of the main "party" resorts in the Alps. I
haven't been myself but would love to, but I think the skiing is quite
tricky.
I would also not bother with Zermatt which was mentioned as you really need
to be a good intermediate to get the best out of it, though Cervinia, linked
to Zermatt on the Italian side, is a good bet. Snowsure, short transfer,
plenty of cruising skiing, sunny.
As for Les Arcs, I would stick to Arcs 1800 (the main one).
Another good one is Selva in Val Gardena(Italy).
"Adrian D. Shaw" <ais@aber.ac.uk > wrote in message
news:dh33el$chct$1@central.aber.ac.uk...
> Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk>:
>>Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
>>Why haven't I heard of that?
>
> I investigated Ischgl a few years ago. I couldn't find a decent priced
> Ferienwohnung anywhere near; they were all much more than I'm used to
> paying
> in Switzerland.
>
> Maybe I should have looked at Samnaun (linked to Ischgl but in CH), but
> driving there in the winter could be a problem I guess; the road up to the
> village is hairy enough in the summer!
>
> Adrian
> --
> Adrian Shaw ais@
> Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
> Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
> http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk




24 Sep 2005 10:57:22
Johannes
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:53:10 +0100, "Steve Olive"
<steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote:


>1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
>2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
>3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
>4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
>5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
>the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
>
>
>That's all really.
>We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it will
>be a busy(ish) time.
>Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
>rules out a few places of course.
>
>We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
>suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Fly with Easy Jet to Basle.
Resorts: Grindelwald/Wengen, Adelboden/Lenk, Saanenland(Aera around
Gstaad). All resorts are about 2-2.5 Drive from the Airport.

Johannes


24 Sep 2005 20:54:34
PSmith
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

If you liked Courcheval, which is the "chic" French resort, then Zermatt is
the Swiss equivalent. All the superlatives which you could imagine all apply
to Zermatt. Excellent intermediate skiing. All regions are open to anyone of
intermediate standard, since the blacks can be avoided (just stay off
Stockhorn). The White Hare is one of the most scenic pistes anywhere....

Ischgl is an excellent Austrian resort. Good extensive skiing.

Cervina is OK for a trip ver the top from Zermatt. Apart from that, its just
the wrong side of the mountain!

Paul


"Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote in message
news:MJSdnekaGIL15qneRVnyig@pipex.net...
> Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
> Why haven't I heard of that?
>
> Could be the one, though I do like the look of Arc 1950
>
> Cheers though
>




25 Sep 2005 08:23:10
ash
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Another good one is Flaine. Very close to Geneva airport and lots of
intermediate skiing but not a big town,though.
"PSmith" <Paul@Smith-Zone.com > wrote in message
news:4335aefb$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> If you liked Courcheval, which is the "chic" French resort, then Zermatt
> is the Swiss equivalent. All the superlatives which you could imagine all
> apply to Zermatt. Excellent intermediate skiing. All regions are open to
> anyone of intermediate standard, since the blacks can be avoided (just
> stay off Stockhorn). The White Hare is one of the most scenic pistes
> anywhere....
>
> Ischgl is an excellent Austrian resort. Good extensive skiing.
>
> Cervina is OK for a trip ver the top from Zermatt. Apart from that, its
> just the wrong side of the mountain!
>
> Paul
>
>
> "Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MJSdnekaGIL15qneRVnyig@pipex.net...
>> Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
>> Why haven't I heard of that?
>>
>> Could be the one, though I do like the look of Arc 1950
>>
>> Cheers though
>>
>
>




26 Sep 2005 08:51:17
Ace
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:13:48 +0100, "Steve Olive"
<steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote:

>
>"ash" <yankamolarout@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:dh1n7d$6e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Les Arcs, though a slightly longer transfer time.
>>
>
>Looks good on 1ski.com

Airport transfer times are 2.5-3 hrs to the resort proper, but you can
get a bus from Geneva-Bourg St/ Maurice which is somewhat shorter and
just take the funicular up to Arcs 1600. Not ideal for everyone, but
very convenient if it is.

Alternatively, depending on your starting point, you can take a train
from London or Paris to drop you directly in Bourg. Check-out
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP
and www.eurostar.com


--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


26 Sep 2005 09:03:38
Ace
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:53:10 +0100, "Steve Olive"
<steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote:


>resort recommendation or two.
>Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
>Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
>really)
>
>This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine of
>course.
>
>Here's what we liked about 1850, and therefore what we are looking for in
>another resort.
>
>1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
>2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
>3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
>4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
>5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
>the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..

Really, your criteria don't arrow it down very much. The 'not-rowdy'
requirement rules out some others. Val d'Isère, St. Anton, Chamonix
(arguable), Val Thorens spring to mind as party towns, but there are
others.

So, other requirements - small town, short transfer, good lifts,
varied terrain... I'd probably go for one of the Portes du Soleil
stations. Massive area, mostly well-linked, and very short transfers.

Morzine is a nice oldish village/town allowing direct access to a
large part of the area, although a ski bus is needed to get you to the
Avoriaz lifts.

Avoriaz itself is a purpose-built resort, but has its own charm and
certainly excels on the good lift front. It probably also has a
greater, but not excessive, rowdy element.

Another option would be to stay in would be Chatel, which is even
closer to Geneva (~1 hr? transfer) and is a much smaller village. I've
not stayed there for some years but it retains a special place in my
heart as the place I first skiied on snow. But it is "nice".

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


26 Sep 2005 09:04:32
Marco Cattaneo
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote in message
news:x_SdnWLZ3IGJwKneRVnyjw@pipex.net...
> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
> resort recommendation or two.
> Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
> Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
> really)
>
Many good recommendations have been made, I would second Zermatt (fits all
your criteria except for transfer time, and not really beginner but plenty
of intermediate slopes with unbeatable scenery).

Some more bits of info:

- UK half term coincides with the busiest weeks of French half term. I would
avoid France just for that reason. Switzerland is also busy but less so, the
Swiss holidays are more spread out and there are only 7M Swiss... Italy does
not have February half term holidays, though many schools close the week of
mardi gras (in March this year).

- Most Swiss resorts are easily reachable by train, with transfer times
similar to car. If you are on a budget, this is definitely an option to
consider (why hire a car for a whole week, when it will be parked -
expensively - for 5 of the 7 days?).

- If flying to Geneva, avoid Saturdays if you can, those two Saturdays are
the busiest of the year. Sunday is also busy, but less to. Additional
advantage of Switzerland over France is that hotels are much more flexible
about length and starting/ending day of stay.

--
m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r





26 Sep 2005 09:07:02
Marco Cattaneo
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"Ace" <no.valid@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:l86fj19p6ahufn68nloevsm0bff65p299k@4ax.com...
> Airport transfer times are 2.5-3 hrs to the resort proper, but you can
> get a bus from Geneva-Bourg St/ Maurice which is somewhat shorter and
> just take the funicular up to Arcs 1600. Not ideal for everyone, but
> very convenient if it is.
>
On the mid-February Saturdays? You'd be lucky to be in Albertville in less
than 2 hours, and I doubt you can get to anywhere in Tarentaise in less than
3 hours, if the weather is good.

--
m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r





26 Sep 2005 09:29:05
ash
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Not many suggestions coming through for Austria. Schladming is a reasonable
town with large ski area.
"Marco Cattaneo" <seeMySig@VoirMonSig.fr > wrote in message
news:dh86i0$9m1$1@sunnews.cern.ch...
>
> "Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:x_SdnWLZ3IGJwKneRVnyjw@pipex.net...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
>> resort recommendation or two.
>> Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
>> Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
>> really)
>>
> Many good recommendations have been made, I would second Zermatt (fits all
> your criteria except for transfer time, and not really beginner but plenty
> of intermediate slopes with unbeatable scenery).
>
> Some more bits of info:
>
> - UK half term coincides with the busiest weeks of French half term. I
> would avoid France just for that reason. Switzerland is also busy but less
> so, the Swiss holidays are more spread out and there are only 7M Swiss...
> Italy does not have February half term holidays, though many schools close
> the week of mardi gras (in March this year).
>
> - Most Swiss resorts are easily reachable by train, with transfer times
> similar to car. If you are on a budget, this is definitely an option to
> consider (why hire a car for a whole week, when it will be parked -
> expensively - for 5 of the 7 days?).
>
> - If flying to Geneva, avoid Saturdays if you can, those two Saturdays are
> the busiest of the year. Sunday is also busy, but less to. Additional
> advantage of Switzerland over France is that hotels are much more flexible
> about length and starting/ending day of stay.
>
> --
> m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r
>
>
>




26 Sep 2005 13:02:14
Steve Pardoe
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

"Steve Olive" <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk > wrote in message
news:x_SdnWLZ3IGJwKneRVnyjw@pipex.net...
> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
> resort recommendation or two.
> Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
> Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
> really)
>
> This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine
of
> course.
<snip >

In my equally limited experience, the La Clusaz area worked well for us last
season, especially the Cols de la Croix Fry and Merdassier, where there are
some scenic and flattering blues. La Clusaz is a pretty and largely
unspoilt town which should meet your time-out criteria. There's a shuttle
bus between the lift systems, and you can also link to the Eauregard and
Balme areas.

Alternatively, Cervinia has a good snow record and, again, flattering
pistes, with the option to cross over to Zermatt if you feel up to it, but
it may be a bit more expensive.

I can't remember exact transfer times, but I think both are about two hours
(La Clusaz perhaps a bit less).

Hope this helps,

Steve (P)




26 Sep 2005 14:24:24
Florian Anwander
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Hi Steve

> Blimey, Ischgl looks very good.
I was oly one time there, but to my opinion you should not go to Ischgl
if you do the following exclusion:
> ...
> 5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and
> really hated the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
> ...



Florian


26 Sep 2005 14:15:20
BrritSki
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Marco Cattaneo wrote:

<snip good advice >

> - If flying to Geneva, avoid Saturdays if you can, those two Saturdays are
> the busiest of the year.

Busiest on the roads, quietest on the slopes. When we were working I
always tried to travel out on Friday evenings and back on Sundays, thus
including an extra peaceful day at the start of the week when you
appreciate it most.


26 Sep 2005 21:06:30
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk >:
>1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
>2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
>3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
>4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
>5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
>the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
[..]
>We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
>suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a car,
and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be closed
due to storms last month). Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp, Melchsee-
Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.

If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't want
to advertise it too widely :) )

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk


26 Sep 2005 21:19:40
Steve Olive
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

The more ideas I get given, the harder the choice becomes. :-(
I've decided that I'd perhaps like to avoid France during the holidays,
though opinions on Serre Chevalier would be welcome.

So, currently considering Zermatt as a well regarded choice, but I'd also
been pointed at Crans Montana (slightly dodgy snow record, but this is
mid-Feb) and Sestriere in Italy.

I just know I'm going to end up in Lake Louise and Banff
again.......................................

Cheers all






26 Sep 2005 22:05:46
James Hart
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Steve Olive wrote:
> The more ideas I get given, the harder the choice becomes. :-(
> I've decided that I'd perhaps like to avoid France during the
> holidays, though opinions on Serre Chevalier would be welcome.
>
> So, currently considering Zermatt as a well regarded choice, but I'd
> also been pointed at Crans Montana (slightly dodgy snow record, but
> this is mid-Feb) and Sestriere in Italy.
>
> I just know I'm going to end up in Lake Louise and Banff
> again.......................................
>
> Cheers all

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26. You'll
either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or make it a part
of the holiday.




27 Sep 2005 08:35:00
Marco Cattaneo
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk > wrote in message
news:3pr6epFbsg8oU1@individual.net...

>
> If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
> You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or make
> it a part of the holiday.
Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea area)!
Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is likely to
suffer from crowds.

--
m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r





27 Sep 2005 09:24:00
Ace
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On 26 Sep 2005 21:06:30 +0100, ais@aber.ac.uk (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

>Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a car,
>and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be closed
>due to storms last month).

I think they've reopened the road after the recent floods - certainly
it should be fine by the start of the season.

>Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
>different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp, Melchsee-
>Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.

Absolutely. Meiringen-Hasliburg is worth a look, as well. Nice little
town (Meiringen, that is) with a lot of Sherlock Holmes references and
good lift connections.

For adults, I'd certainly recommend this idea, but with children it
may be less convenient moving around like this, particularly if
they'll be taking lessons.

Just a little bit further will take you to the Interlaken resorts of
Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren, which are also quite charming (I'd
stay in Grindelwald out of preference). These are that bit bigger and
much more suitable for a week's holiday.

>If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
>found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't want
>to advertise it too widely :) )

Oh, a secret, eh? C'mon, share it with us - it's not as if many of the
readers are likely to be doing this type of thing :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


27 Sep 2005 11:07:38
Johannes
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On 26 Sep 2005 21:06:30 +0100, ais@aber.ac.uk (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

>Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive <steve@SPAMMENOTsteveolive.co.uk>:
>>1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
>>2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
>>3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
>>4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
>>5/ Not too rowdy/brits on piss. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
>>the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..
>[..]
>>We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
>>suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.
>
>Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a car,
>and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be closed
Since ~3 Weeks ist the need road open. And they hope, they can open
the Railway till end of november. The Ropeway companie has no damage
so they open normal. Winter season start at 19. November.(I'm not
shure if they start at 1. October the autum season, because there is
not much Snow at the top.)
Btw i would Engelberg declare as chalanging spot.

>due to storms last month). Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
>different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp, Melchsee-
>Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.
>
>If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
>found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't want
>to advertise it too widely :) )
It seams to me that the brits avoid the german speking part of
switzerland.

Johannes


27 Sep 2005 12:37:36
Ace
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:07:38 +0200, Johannes
<johannes_entfernen_@tiscalinet.ch > wrote:

>It seams to me that the brits avoid the german speking part of
>switzerland.

There is a tendency to go to the larger, more well-known resorts, it
is true. But those of us within easy reach of the area are quite glad
that the hordes of holidaymakers don't spoil our quite little ski
areas.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


27 Sep 2005 17:25:29
James Hart
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Marco Cattaneo wrote:
> "James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3pr6epFbsg8oU1@individual.net...
>
>>
>> If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
>> You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
>> make it a part of the holiday.
>
> Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
> area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
> likely to suffer from crowds.

I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
experience of resorts during the Olympics?




27 Sep 2005 21:40:10
PSmith
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"Ace" <no.valid@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:i8shj1lijoavt536j57ft1imj07vr8th9j@4ax.com...
> On 26 Sep 2005 21:06:30 +0100, ais@aber.ac.uk (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:
>
>>Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a
>>car,
>>and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be
>>closed
>>due to storms last month).
>
> I think they've reopened the road after the recent floods - certainly
> it should be fine by the start of the season.
>
>>Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
>>different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp,
>>Melchsee-
>>Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.
>
> Absolutely. Meiringen-Hasliburg is worth a look, as well. Nice little
> town (Meiringen, that is) with a lot of Sherlock Holmes references and
> good lift connections.
>
> For adults, I'd certainly recommend this idea, but with children it
> may be less convenient moving around like this, particularly if
> they'll be taking lessons.
>
> Just a little bit further will take you to the Interlaken resorts of
> Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren, which are also quite charming (I'd
> stay in Grindelwald out of preference). These are that bit bigger and
> much more suitable for a week's holiday.
>
Personally, I prefer to stay in Wengen: normally get off the train half way
up, and ski down to Wixi: fast way to get skiing. Wengen is convenient for
commuting over to Murren for a day. Going the other way to First is still
acessible.

I would think that Murren from Grindelwald (via Wengen) would be hard. I
would not really want to take the trains all the way down and along to
Lauterbrunnen? Also, I always think Grindelwald town being up the opposite
side of the valley from the Kl Scheidegg side is very inconvenient.

regards
Paul




>>If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
>>found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't
>>want
>>to advertise it too widely :) )
>
> Oh, a secret, eh? C'mon, share it with us - it's not as if many of the
> readers are likely to be doing this type of thing :-)
>
> --
> Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
> Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
> All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
> Ski Club.




27 Sep 2005 22:55:44
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Felly sgrifennodd PSmith <Paul@Smith-Zone.com >:
>Personally, I prefer to stay in Wengen: normally get off the train half way
>up, and ski down to Wixi: fast way to get skiing.

Really? The piste from Wengernalp (I assume you mean) down to Wixi is almost
flat, and very boring. In the time it takes you to get up the Fallboden
or Wixi chairs, you could be well down a decent piste from Kleine Scheidegg.

>Wengen is convenient for
>commuting over to Murren for a day. Going the other way to First is still
>acessible.

First is a nightmare to get to, in my experience.

>I would think that Murren from Grindelwald (via Wengen) would be hard. I
>would not really want to take the trains all the way down and along to
>Lauterbrunnen? Also, I always think Grindelwald town being up the opposite
>side of the valley from the Kl Scheidegg side is very inconvenient.

The slopes at Muerren are fantastic; they may be generally shorter, but in
a small area there is much more variation than on Wengen side, including some
real blacks, e.g. the mogul field down from the Schiltgrad to the restaurant
at Suppenalp - bliss! Also fewer queues and crowds during busier times of
year. There are also some very nice easily accessible off-piste areas.

Hence we prefer staying in Lauterbrunnen, for easy access to both sides. And
of course Lauterbrunnen's cheaper, and you can park your car by the flat.

We tried First last year. It was a nightmare. It wasn't getting to Grindelwald
that was the problem, it was getting from Grindelwald onto the slopes. Yes,
the skiing (what little we managed) was good, but it wasn't worth the effort.
I suppose well out of the peak season it would have been worth it.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk


28 Sep 2005 11:48:12
Marco Cattaneo
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb


"James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk > wrote in message
news:3ptaobFc3l5eU1@individual.net...
> Marco Cattaneo wrote:
>> "James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:3pr6epFbsg8oU1@individual.net...
>>
>>>
>>> If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
>>> You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
>>> make it a part of the holiday.
>>
>> Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
>> area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
>> likely to suffer from crowds.
>
> I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
> leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
> experience of resorts during the Olympics?
From my memory of the Albertville Olympics (1992), this was certainly the
case for the slopes in Tignes/Val d'Isere - but that didn't make the
accomodation any cheaper or easier to find!!

Given the choice of setinations in the Alps, avoid the Olympics if you don't
want to see the races...

--
m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r





28 Sep 2005 21:24:47
Steve Olive
Re: Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Cheers all.
I'm going to opt for Schladming.


"Marco Cattaneo" <seeMySig@VoirMonSig.fr > wrote in message
news:dhdosr$745$1@sunnews.cern.ch...
>
> "James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3ptaobFc3l5eU1@individual.net...
>> Marco Cattaneo wrote:
>>> "James Hart" <news1@jameshart.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:3pr6epFbsg8oU1@individual.net...
>>>
>>>>
>>>> If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
>>>> You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
>>>> make it a part of the holiday.
>>>
>>> Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
>>> area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
>>> likely to suffer from crowds.
>>
>> I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
>> leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
>> experience of resorts during the Olympics?
> From my memory of the Albertville Olympics (1992), this was certainly the
> case for the slopes in Tignes/Val d'Isere - but that didn't make the
> accomodation any cheaper or easier to find!!
>
> Given the choice of setinations in the Alps, avoid the Olympics if you
> don't want to see the races...
>
> --
> m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r
>
>
>