22 Feb 2006 05:00:39
Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

Anyone have a link to / or a copy of a high res piste map that shows
Flaine and les carroz? Most online maps are far too low-res to be
printable or examined in any detail.

Thanks

James

27 Feb 2006 19:48:23
Mark Hunter
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

The standard piste map supplied by the ski area is one of the worst (IMHO) -
many pistes are inaccurately shown and the relationship between pistes and
the top and bottom of lifts is often unclear and at times misleading.

(The skiing's good though)

Mark
<james.pratt@marlston.co.uk > wrote in message
> Anyone have a link to / or a copy of a high res piste map that shows
> Flaine and les carroz? Most online maps are far too low-res to be
> printable or examined in any detail.
>
> Thanks
>
> James

28 Feb 2006 09:05:45
Ace
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0000, "Mark Hunter"
<mfhunt@globalnet.co.uk > wrote:

><james.pratt@marlston.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Anyone have a link to / or a copy of a high res piste map that shows
>> Flaine and les carroz? Most online maps are far too low-res to be
>> printable or examined in any detail.

>The standard piste map supplied by the ski area is one of the worst (IMHO) -
>many pistes are inaccurately shown and the relationship between pistes and
>the top and bottom of lifts is often unclear and at times misleading.

Eh? To be fair, I don't often need the piste map, but I've just got
one out of my office drawer for reference, and I can't see anywhere
that it's inaccurate or confusing. The only runs, and there are some,
mainly around the top of Carroz and Molliets, which wouldn't be clear
from the angle on the map have got big arrows on them indicating the
direction of travel. Am I missing something, or are you just looking
at/thinking of a very old map?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Mark Hunter
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

No - this years - only really noticed as it was the first time I'd been
there and found the map less than helpful until I'd got far enough up /
across from Samoens to be able to see the connection between lift and pistes
directly rather than rely on the map.

Agree that once one knows the area the map is OK - it just made me have to
think rather more than most of the other French resorts I've been to :-)

Mark Hunter
"Ace" <seesig@virgin.net > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0000, "Mark Hunter"
> <mfhunt@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>><james.pratt@marlston.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a link to / or a copy of a high res piste map that shows
>>> Flaine and les carroz? Most online maps are far too low-res to be
>>> printable or examined in any detail.
>
>>The standard piste map supplied by the ski area is one of the worst
>>(IMHO) -
>>many pistes are inaccurately shown and the relationship between pistes and
>>the top and bottom of lifts is often unclear and at times misleading.
>
> Eh? To be fair, I don't often need the piste map, but I've just got
> one out of my office drawer for reference, and I can't see anywhere
> that it's inaccurate or confusing. The only runs, and there are some,
> mainly around the top of Carroz and Molliets, which wouldn't be clear
> from the angle on the map have got big arrows on them indicating the
> direction of travel. Am I missing something, or are you just looking
> at/thinking of a very old map?
>
> --
> Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
> Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
> All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
> Ski Club.

01 Mar 2006 08:55:40
Ace
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:29:11 -0000, "Mark Hunter"
<mfhunt@globalnet.co.uk > wrote:

Mark,

do us a favour, would you, and add comments beneath the text to which
you're replying, like I've reformetted this post? People will love you
for it ;-)

>"Ace" <seesig@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:48:23 -0000, "Mark Hunter"
>> <mfhunt@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

>>>The standard piste map supplied by the ski area is one of the worst
>>>(IMHO) -
>>>many pistes are inaccurately shown and the relationship between pistes and
>>>the top and bottom of lifts is often unclear and at times misleading.
>>
>> Eh? To be fair, I don't often need the piste map, but I've just got
>> one out of my office drawer for reference, and I can't see anywhere
>> that it's inaccurate or confusing.

>No - this years - only really noticed as it was the first time I'd been
>there and found the map less than helpful until I'd got far enough up /
>across from Samoens to be able to see the connection between lift and pistes
>directly rather than rely on the map.

Ah yes, I see that the bowl at Samoens 1600 is far from clear.
Difficult to know how to make it better though, given the rather odd
geography there.

>Agree that once one knows the area the map is OK - it just made me have to
>think rather more than most of the other French resorts I've been to :-)

Oh, I've seen _much_ worse, in France and elsewhere.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

01 Mar 2006 02:27:20
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

Gentlemen

This is all very fascinating, but ......... it doesn't really help a
lot with my original question. Anyone know where can find a hi-res
piste map online? Accurate or inaccurate I don't mind too much at this
stage.

Thanks

James

01 Mar 2006 11:51:04
Ace

On 1 Mar 2006 02:27:20 -0800, james.pratt@marlston.co.uk wrote:

>Gentlemen
>
>This is all very fascinating, but ......... it doesn't really help a
>lot with my original question. Anyone know where can find a hi-res
>piste map online? Accurate or inaccurate I don't mind too much at this
>stage.

Sadly not. I'll try scanning this one, but I don't know if it will
render any better than the online ones you've presumably already
found.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

01 Mar 2006 12:08:20
Ace

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:51:04 +0100, Ace <seesig@virgin.net > wrote:

>On 1 Mar 2006 02:27:20 -0800, james.pratt@marlston.co.uk wrote:
>
>>Gentlemen
>>
>>This is all very fascinating, but ......... it doesn't really help a
>>lot with my original question. Anyone know where can find a hi-res
>>piste map online? Accurate or inaccurate I don't mind too much at this
>>stage.
>
>Sadly not. I'll try scanning this one, but I don't know if it will
>render any better than the online ones you've presumably already
>found.

Oh, it is. Miles better, in fact. http://acenet.ifrance.com/mass.jpg
has the main part of Flaine. It's a 1.2 Mb file, so not for bandwidth
pikeys. I'll try and get the rest scanned in later.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

01 Mar 2006 04:54:46
Re: Hi-res piste map of Grand massif / Flaine??

Ace

You're an angel (He says in a butch sort of voice so it doesn't sound
too camp). The Flaine bit came out brilliantly. If you did have the
urge to scan any more of it - the Les Carroz sector in particular, I'd
be pathetically grateful.

Many thanks

James