13 Feb 2006 16:58:11
John
Driving to Bourg St Maurice

We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
cheers

--
Regards
Colleen & John Hughes

13 Feb 2006 17:34:33
Team S-J
Re: Driving to Bourg St Maurice

If you're going from the Calais area don't go down the A1 as most GPS
systems want to take you. Stay on the A26 towards Reims.
When you get near to Lyon head for the airport. It's a lot quieter than the
main route into Lyon. That's the A46/A432/A43
That's the way we went in Jan and it was fine.

I am jealous however. I've just got an afternoon at the Snowdome booked
myself. Until next year that is.

"John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk > wrote in message
> We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
> Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
> cheers
>
> --
> Regards
> Colleen & John Hughes

13 Feb 2006 18:43:55
Ace
Re: Driving to Bourg St Maurice

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:34:33 -0000, "Team S-J"
<robinNO@SPAMsayce-jones.co.uk > wrote:

>"John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>> We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
>> Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
>> cheers

<reformatted for ease of reading >

>If you're going from the Calais area don't go down the A1 as most GPS
>systems want to take you. Stay on the A26 towards Reims.
>When you get near to Lyon head for the airport. It's a lot quieter than the
>main route into Lyon. That's the A46/A432/A43
>That's the way we went in Jan and it was fine.

Personally I'd recommend not going anywhere near Lyon, especially as
it's now school holiday period (although overnight, and mid-week,
shouldn't be too bad). My preferred route would be to take the A39
from Dijon past Dole towards Bourg-en-bresse, then the A40 almost as
far as Geneva, dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. www.mappy.co.uk
will give this route.

Much quieter roads and no major city (like Lyon) to negotiate, so
always preferable in my book.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

BrritSki

Team S-J wrote:
> If you're going from the Calais area don't go down the A1 as most GPS
> systems want to take you. Stay on the A26 towards Reims.
> When you get near to Lyon head for the airport. It's a lot quieter than the
> main route into Lyon. That's the A46/A432/A43
> That's the way we went in Jan and it was fine.

If you print a rout out from Michelin that's they way they will send
you. The details will also list current speed camera locations.
Which is nice.

> I am jealous however. I've just got an afternoon at the Snowdome booked
> myself. Until next year that is.
>

> "John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
>>Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
>>cheers
>>
>>--
>>Regards
>>Colleen & John Hughes

13 Feb 2006 22:23:36
John Elgy

Ace wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:34:33 -0000, "Team S-J"
> <robinNO@SPAMsayce-jones.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
>>>Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
>>>cheers
>

> <reformatted for ease of reading>
>
>>If you're going from the Calais area don't go down the A1 as most GPS
>>systems want to take you. Stay on the A26 towards Reims.
>>When you get near to Lyon head for the airport. It's a lot quieter than the
>>main route into Lyon. That's the A46/A432/A43
>>That's the way we went in Jan and it was fine.
>

> Personally I'd recommend not going anywhere near Lyon, especially as
> it's now school holiday period (although overnight, and mid-week,
> shouldn't be too bad). My preferred route would be to take the A39
> from Dijon past Dole towards Bourg-en-bresse, then the A40 almost as
> far as Geneva, dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. www.mappy.co.uk
> will give this route.
>
> Much quieter roads and no major city (like Lyon) to negotiate, so
> always preferable in my book.

http://www.mappy.frgives a slightly different route and in my mind a
faster one (though more in tolls). Go via Rheims, then Dijon and
continue towards Bourg-en-bresse, but then continue on the autoroute as
if going to Lyon. This takes you past Lyon airport, then on towards
Chamberey, Albertville etc. Avoid the A6 towards Lyon and the 'ring
roads' around Lyon.

I have done this route several times over the last year, the last time
just before Christmas. Normally we do the drive overnight sharing the
driving but during the summer I left a bit late and with only my 11 year
old son for company decided to take a route through Annecy and avoid the
serious problem with the tunnels approaching Chamberey. The traffic
along the lake side was very heavy and slow, probably due to the warm
sunshine.

Watch out for speed cameras: there is one at 130km/hr approaching Dijon,
and they occaisionally put mobile ones in the tunnels from Moutier onwards.

The traffic should be very quiet on the autoroute so a good time is
possible. It is far easier driving in France than the journey to the
Chanel. Allow about about 10 hours to get to the resort from Calais and
about half an hour less to BsM. Normally by sharing the driving we get a
couple hours sleep on the way down and manage a full days skiing on the
first day.

Enjoy the paradiski area; it is in my humble view one of the best ski
areas in the world. Having said that we usually spend most of our time
in Les Arcs and rarely go over to La Plange. Where are you actually staying?

John

13 Feb 2006 23:20:48
John

"John Elgy" <news_account@elgy-anti-spam-.org.uk > wrote in message
> Ace wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:34:33 -0000, "Team S-J"
>> <robinNO@SPAMsayce-jones.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message

>> <reformatted for ease of reading>
>>
>>>If you're going from the Calais area don't go down the A1 as most GPS
>>>systems want to take you. Stay on the A26 towards Reims.
>>>When you get near to Lyon head for the airport. It's a lot quieter than
>>>the main route into Lyon. That's the A46/A432/A43
>>>That's the way we went in Jan and it was fine.
>>

>> Personally I'd recommend not going anywhere near Lyon, especially as
>> it's now school holiday period (although overnight, and mid-week,
>> shouldn't be too bad). My preferred route would be to take the A39
>> from Dijon past Dole towards Bourg-en-bresse, then the A40 almost as
>> far as Geneva, dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. www.mappy.co.uk
>> will give this route.
>>
>> Much quieter roads and no major city (like Lyon) to negotiate, so
>> always preferable in my book.
>>

> http://www.mappy.frgives a slightly different route and in my mind a
> faster one (though more in tolls). Go via Rheims, then Dijon and continue
> towards Bourg-en-bresse, but then continue on the autoroute as if going to
> Lyon. This takes you past Lyon airport, then on towards Chamberey,
> Albertville etc. Avoid the A6 towards Lyon and the 'ring roads' around
> Lyon.
>
> I have done this route several times over the last year, the last time
> just before Christmas. Normally we do the drive overnight sharing the
> driving but during the summer I left a bit late and with only my 11 year
> old son for company decided to take a route through Annecy and avoid the
> serious problem with the tunnels approaching Chamberey. The traffic along
> the lake side was very heavy and slow, probably due to the warm sunshine.
>
> Watch out for speed cameras: there is one at 130km/hr approaching Dijon,
> and they occaisionally put mobile ones in the tunnels from Moutier
> onwards.
>
> The traffic should be very quiet on the autoroute so a good time is
> possible. It is far easier driving in France than the journey to the
> Chanel. Allow about about 10 hours to get to the resort from Calais and
> about half an hour less to BsM. Normally by sharing the driving we get a
> couple hours sleep on the way down and manage a full days skiing on the
> first day.
>

> Enjoy the paradiski area; it is in my humble view one of the best ski
> areas in the world. Having said that we usually spend most of our time in
> Les Arcs and rarely go over to La Plange. Where are you actually staying?
>
> John

We are staying at a campsite at BsM, travelling down in the motorhome, our
first winter break with it, should be fun!!
No chance of setting off any of the speed camera's, will try my best tho!
Me, my son and my youngest brother are making the trip, I have promised my
son that I will try the flying K at Arc 2000, will see how my old war wounds
are playing up, have to think of a way out of it!
Thanks to all for the advice, will let you know how we get on, cheers all

--
Regards
Colleen & John Hughes

14 Feb 2006 10:13:05
John Elgy

John wrote:
> "John Elgy" <news_account@elgy-anti-spam-.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Ace wrote:

>>><reformatted for ease of reading>

>>>Personally I'd recommend not going anywhere near Lyon, especially as
>>>it's now school holiday period (although overnight, and mid-week,
>>>shouldn't be too bad). My preferred route would be to take the A39
>>>from Dijon past Dole towards Bourg-en-bresse, then the A40 almost as
>>>far as Geneva, dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. www.mappy.co.uk
>>>will give this route.
>>>
>>>Much quieter roads and no major city (like Lyon) to negotiate, so
>>>always preferable in my book.
>>>

>>http://www.mappy.frgives a slightly different route and in my mind a
>>faster one (though more in tolls). Go via Rheims, then Dijon and continue
>>towards Bourg-en-bresse, but then continue on the autoroute as if going to
>>Lyon. This takes you past Lyon airport, then on towards Chamberey,
>>Albertville etc. Avoid the A6 towards Lyon and the 'ring roads' around
>>Lyon.
>>
>>I have done this route several times over the last year, the last time
>>just before Christmas. Normally we do the drive overnight sharing the
>>driving but during the summer I left a bit late and with only my 11 year
>>old son for company decided to take a route through Annecy and avoid the
>>serious problem with the tunnels approaching Chamberey. The traffic along
>>the lake side was very heavy and slow, probably due to the warm sunshine.
>>
>>Watch out for speed cameras: there is one at 130km/hr approaching Dijon,
>>and they occaisionally put mobile ones in the tunnels from Moutier
>>onwards.
>>
>>The traffic should be very quiet on the autoroute so a good time is
>>possible. It is far easier driving in France than the journey to the
>>Chanel. Allow about about 10 hours to get to the resort from Calais and
>>about half an hour less to BsM. Normally by sharing the driving we get a
>>couple hours sleep on the way down and manage a full days skiing on the
>>first day.
>>

>>Enjoy the paradiski area; it is in my humble view one of the best ski
>>areas in the world. Having said that we usually spend most of our time in
>>Les Arcs and rarely go over to La Plange. Where are you actually staying?
>>
>>John
>

> We are staying at a campsite at BsM, travelling down in the motorhome, our
> first winter break with it, should be fun!!
> No chance of setting off any of the speed camera's, will try my best tho!
> Me, my son and my youngest brother are making the trip, I have promised my
> son that I will try the flying K at Arc 2000, will see how my old war wounds
> are playing up, have to think of a way out of it!
> Thanks to all for the advice, will let you know how we get on, cheers all

Please revise my 10 hour journey estimate. It may take longer with the
motorhome. The campsite in BsM looks very nice - I tried to persuade my
wife to camp there one easter while we went skiing, but she did not
approve. I notice that there are always a number of camper vans parked
up at Plan Devin in Arc 1600. Some look as if they are there for the
whole season. It looks a cold, powerless, waterless and toiletless
existance at that altitude. The walk to the skilift also looks harder
than the stroll down the river to the funicular.

Since I can only manage to go skiing at the very begining and very end
of the season I have never seen the flying K open, but woulod love to
have a go. If you want a stand in to do it for you, BA may still have
some cheep flights to Lyon for the weekend!

John

14 Feb 2006 13:42:37
John

> [...]
>> Thanks to all for the advice, will let you know how we get on, cheers all
>>

> Please revise my 10 hour journey estimate. It may take longer with the
> motorhome. The campsite in BsM looks very nice - I tried to persuade my
> wife to camp there one easter while we went skiing, but she did not
> approve. I notice that there are always a number of camper vans parked up
> at Plan Devin in Arc 1600. Some look as if they are there for the whole
> season. It looks a cold, powerless, waterless and toiletless existance at
> that altitude. The walk to the skilift also looks harder than the stroll
> down the river to the funicular.
>
> Since I can only manage to go skiing at the very begining and very end of
> the season I have never seen the flying K open, but woulod love to have a
> go. If you want a stand in to do it for you, BA may still have some cheep

It's 566 miles from Calais, 10/11 hrs would be ideal, arrive around
breakfast, get sorted 1hr, then out to play, cannot wait, our adventure
beckons!
Cheers,

--
Regards
Colleen & John Hughes

14 Feb 2006 13:45:19
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

John wrote:
> We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to arrive
> Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone with any tips,
> cheers

The french autoroute can be very quiet overnight so I always take a
couple of talking books with me to prevent me falling asleep while
driving. Good thrillers, with not overly convoluted plots are best.

John

14 Feb 2006 14:29:05
MoonMan

@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" <""john"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote:
> John wrote:
>> We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to
>> arrive Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone
>> with any tips, cheers
>>

> The french autoroute can be very quiet overnight so I always take a
> couple of talking books with me to prevent me falling asleep while
> driving. Good thrillers, with not overly convoluted plots are best.

The Harry Potter books are good too, and Pratchett

Chris *<:-)

14 Feb 2006 17:40:14
John

"MoonMan" <chris.anderson@codeway.invalid.com > wrote in message
> @elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" <""john"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> We are driving to Bourg St Maurice this Thursday night, hoping to
>>> arrive Friday morning, planning to ski the Paradiski Area, anyone
>>> with any tips, cheers
>>>

>> The french autoroute can be very quiet overnight so I always take a
>> couple of talking books with me to prevent me falling asleep while
>> driving. Good thrillers, with not overly convoluted plots are best.
>>

> The Harry Potter books are good too, and Pratchett
>
> Chris *<:-)
I'm taking a non stop verbal questionaire, my son, 14 yrs old, at that stage
where every sentence starts with " Dad, how??????? never ending questions
about everything under the sun, but when he falls asleep I have a learn to
speak German CD.
Cleaned the van today, checked everything over, oil, water etc, ready for
the off.
Report to follow

--
Regards
Colleen & John Hughes

14 Feb 2006 18:51:59
James Hart

John Elgy wrote:

> Since I can only manage to go skiing at the very begining and very end
> of the season I have never seen the flying K open, but woulod love to
> have a go.

Depends what you call end of season I suppose but it was certainly in use
the last week of April 05.

24 Feb 2006 18:06:59
John

> "MoonMan" <chris.anderson@codeway.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> @elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" <""john"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote:
>>>>

>>> The french autoroute can be very quiet overnight so I always take a
>>> couple of talking books with me to prevent me falling asleep while
>>> driving. Good thrillers, with not overly convoluted plots are best.
>>>

>> The Harry Potter books are good too, and Pratchett
>>
>> Chris *<:-)
> I'm taking a non stop verbal questionaire, my son, 14 yrs old, at that
> stage where every sentence starts with " Dad, how??????? never ending
> questions about everything under the sun, but when he falls asleep I have
> a learn to speak German CD.
> Cleaned the van today, checked everything over, oil, water etc, ready for
> the off.
> Report to follow
>
> --
> Regards
> Colleen & John Hughes

Well, here we go!
Left Thursday afternoon, M25 choc a clock, missed our planned ferry
crossing, drove thru the night, god keeping awake was a problem, when it was
my turn to drive!

Tip 1 - 3 Drivers next time, not 2

Took a route which took along side Lake Annecy, nice view, shame about the
traffic tho!

Tip2 - Stay on the motorway next time

Arrived at BsM at 1pm, too tired to ski, hired some Salomon street racer
10's, walked into town centre, 2 beers later, eyes clapping, decided it was
time for bed.
Saturday morning hit the slopes at Arc 1600 at 09:00am, blizzard conditions,
determined to ski thru it, Arc 16 & 18 open with a few lifts shut due to the
high winds, it brightened up around lunchtime, so in the afternoon we
virtually had the slopes to ourselves. Fantastic afternoons skiing, the
ski's were a pleasure compared to my planks. Skied until the lifts shut,
then a couple of beers later caught the funicular down at 6:30pm.
Sunday hit the slopes at 09:00 am again, this time, we wrestle with the
crowds getting on the funicular, getting busy on slopes, sunshine brought
out the crowds. Over to Arc 2000, after the tree lined runs of 1600, I find
this area barren and windy, so its back over to 1600 & 1800, we find a run
which although classed as a blue which joins a Red, a pleasure to ski, so we
spend a good hour on this, this hour made the whole trip worthwhile!
Finish again as the lifts close, legs shot.
So all in all, a weekend well spent and worth every penny, cannot wait to do
it again

Fuel costs 294, van managed 25 mpg
Tolls 55 each way
Ferry 51
Money well spent in my mind.

27 Feb 2006 20:30:34
Nick

John wrote:
> So all in all, a weekend well spent and worth every penny, cannot wait to do
> it again

Glad you had a good time, thanks for the report :)

28 Feb 2006 12:46:55
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

John wrote:
> "John" <colleen@hughes365.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>"MoonMan" <chris.anderson@codeway.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>>The Harry Potter books are good too, and Pratchett
>>>
>>>Chris *<:-)
>>
>>I'm taking a non stop verbal questionaire, my son, 14 yrs old, at that
>>stage where every sentence starts with " Dad, how??????? never ending
>>questions about everything under the sun, but when he falls asleep I have
>>a learn to speak German CD.
>>Cleaned the van today, checked everything over, oil, water etc, ready for
>>the off.
>>Report to follow
>>
>>--
>>Regards
>>Colleen & John Hughes
>

> Well, here we go!
> Left Thursday afternoon, M25 choc a clock, missed our planned ferry
> crossing, drove thru the night, god keeping awake was a problem, when it was
> my turn to drive!

I find that the tunnel gives a much better chance of some sleep - but
take someting to cover the eyes from th ebright lights.

> Tip 1 - 3 Drivers next time, not 2
>
> Took a route which took along side Lake Annecy, nice view, shame about the
> traffic tho!
>
> Tip2 - Stay on the motorway next time

Thats what I thought after crawling around the lake last summer.
Continue down the autoroute to Lyon Airport

> Arrived at BsM at 1pm, too tired to ski, hired some Salomon street racer
> 10's, walked into town centre, 2 beers later, eyes clapping, decided it was
> time for bed.
> Saturday morning hit the slopes at Arc 1600 at 09:00am, blizzard conditions,
> determined to ski thru it, Arc 16 & 18 open with a few lifts shut due to the
> high winds, it brightened up around lunchtime, so in the afternoon we
> virtually had the slopes to ourselves. Fantastic afternoons skiing, the
> ski's were a pleasure compared to my planks. Skied until the lifts shut,
> then a couple of beers later caught the funicular down at 6:30pm.
> Sunday hit the slopes at 09:00 am again, this time, we wrestle with the
> crowds getting on the funicular, getting busy on slopes, sunshine brought
> out the crowds. Over to Arc 2000, after the tree lined runs of 1600, I find
> this area barren and windy, so its back over to 1600 & 1800, we find a run
> which although classed as a blue which joins a Red, a pleasure to ski, so we
> spend a good hour on this, this hour made the whole trip worthwhile!
> Finish again as the lifts close, legs shot.
> So all in all, a weekend well spent and worth every penny, cannot wait to do
> it again

How was staying on the campsite?

How did the journey back go. Strangely we don't normally find it so hard
staying awake even though it is invariably a very late night the last
night of a skiing holiday.

Glad you had a good time.

John

> Fuel costs 294, van managed 25 mpg
> Tolls 55 each way
> Ferry 51
> Money well spent in my mind.

28 Feb 2006 18:06:07
John
Re: Driving to Bourg St Maurice

"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" <""john"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" > wrote in
message news:du1gn5$k7s$1@north.jnrs.ja.net...
> [...]
>> 6:30pm.
>> Sunday hit the slopes at 09:00 am again, this time, we wrestle with the
>> crowds getting on the funicular, getting busy on slopes, sunshine brought
>> out the crowds. Over to Arc 2000, after the tree lined runs of 1600, I
>> find this area barren and windy, so its back over to 1600 & 1800, we find
>> a run which although classed as a blue which joins a Red, a pleasure to
>> ski, so we spend a good hour on this, this hour made the whole trip
>> worthwhile!
>> Finish again as the lifts close, legs shot.
>> So all in all, a weekend well spent and worth every penny, cannot wait to
>> do it again
>
> How was staying on the campsite?
>
> How did the journey back go. Strangely we don't normally find it so hard
> staying awake even though it is invariably a very late night the last

The campsite was ok, a bit basic, but with the motorhome all we wanted was
an electric hook up. The reception sold lift passes, the mini bus picked us
up on time ideal really.
Regarding staying awake, I think it was a problem on the way down, as we had
both been to work the day we drove down, so we had both been up early,
driving back tho was much easier. As during the daylight you so much visual
input to keep you awake, whereas in the dark, it's dark!!
Next time will plan the hours differently to gain the maximum skiing time.
--
Regards
Colleen & John Hughes