15 Sep 2005 05:48:39
Michael Bartlett
D'Isere/Thorens over Xmas??

Hi all,

Ok, so season is getting closer - wicked! :)

Quick question if anyone has an opinion - looking at doing Xmas weekend
again this year. Last year we went to Chamonix and the snow was pretty
poor so this year I'm looking for a higher resort. Val Thorens is
supposed to be pretty darn high - but Val D'Isere is also an option I'm
considering.

Any thoughts/pro's/con's - I've never been to either one. For reference
purposes I've been to Verbier, Chamonix (many times), St. Anton, Squaw
Valley.

Also, owing to work commitments, we can only do 5 days -
Thursday-Tuesday sort of thing, so any recommendations on small guest
houses that can cater for us in Val Thorens would be great. We've
managed to find one that does adhoc (not sat-sat/sun-sun) bookings.

Cheers, catch you in the powder!
Mike

16 Sep 2005 11:23:46
matt_j_thomas@hotmail.com
Re: D'Isere/Thorens over Xmas??

Hi Mike,

Not stayed in Val Thorens, but stayed in Meribel just after Christmas
(valley next door) and St Martin in Jan as well (same valley but much
lower down). Snow in Meribel was changeable - high winds and rain made
skiing the three valleys pretty tough. First hint of trouble and you're
trapped in the valley you're staying in.

Val D'Isere - linked to Tignes, both high (though not as high as
Thorens), good snow record - stayed in Tignes over New Years last year
- good snow, very sunny - bit cold at times, but hey - it's mid-winter.

Val Thorens very purpose built (like Tignes) - high rise, some people
say ugly, I prefer to think of it as kitsch. Val d'Isere is much older
and has prettier aspects, but a fair share of ugliness as well. Has a
reputation for being overpriced, trustafarian, Brits-abroad resort. Not
entirely unjustified. Reminds me of Verbier in many ways, but the
skiing in Val d'Is is better.

On balance, I'd probably go with Val d'Is, but not a great deal in it
IMHO. Good luck with accomodation - it's a tough time of year to get
anything other than week-to-week, but going over Chrimbo itself you
could get a great deal.

Bon ski,

Matt

Michael Bartlett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ok, so season is getting closer - wicked! :)
>
> Quick question if anyone has an opinion - looking at doing Xmas weekend
> again this year. Last year we went to Chamonix and the snow was pretty
> poor so this year I'm looking for a higher resort. Val Thorens is
> supposed to be pretty darn high - but Val D'Isere is also an option I'm
> considering.
>
> Any thoughts/pro's/con's - I've never been to either one. For reference
> purposes I've been to Verbier, Chamonix (many times), St. Anton, Squaw
> Valley.
>
> Also, owing to work commitments, we can only do 5 days -
> Thursday-Tuesday sort of thing, so any recommendations on small guest
> houses that can cater for us in Val Thorens would be great. We've
> managed to find one that does adhoc (not sat-sat/sun-sun) bookings.
>
> Cheers, catch you in the powder!
> Mike

16 Sep 2005 20:22:19
Rob White
Re: D'Isere/Thorens over Xmas??

I've done Val d'Isere for three of the last four Christmases. Snow and
conditions have mostly been OK, but was poor one year, and one year was
magic (cannot remember which). We've always been able to get to Breviere at
the very bottom of Tignes, which low and a fair indication of the snow
condition. We'd do it again for Xmas, except that its expensive (paying for
me the wife, three sons and the daughter in law!!) and we want a change.

Rob