22 Jan 2005 12:35:02
John Ricketts
Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9 or
10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in particular!!)
can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

Last year, I managed to grab a 1/2 day on arrival but it was a case of
getting changed in a public toilet.....less than ideal. Hence we didn't
bother with the thermals and hit the top of Le Tour in a blizzard!
(Bbbbrrrrrrrr.....can still feel it)!

22 Jan 2005 13:48:46
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

Felly sgrifennodd John Ricketts <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk >:
>I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
>expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9 or
>10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
>seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
>rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in particular!!)
>can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

I'd spend the time getting some sleep in, if I'd been driving overnight.
We're quite used to sleeping in the car, though.

Unless your holiday is short, you'll probably make up for the lost hours of
skiing on the Saturday later on; you'll have more energy. If you start tired,
you may not recover.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

22 Jan 2005 15:36:54
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

Hi Adrian,

Trouble is, whilst I may feel a bit jaded after the trip, the rest of the
family will be raring to go after a nights kip in the car! I've done
over-nights before (but not skiing) and you get a second wind once you
arrive! (but are totally knackered by the evening!)

I tend to be a dawn-till-dusk skier where every second counts and I reckon
it's worth making the most of the quieter slopes on a change-over day. Last
feb (admittedly a week before 1/2 term) parts of Flegere were almost
deserted on the saturday afternoon!

"Adrian D. Shaw" <ais@aber.ac.uk > wrote in message
> Felly sgrifennodd John Ricketts <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>>I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
>>expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9
>>or
>>10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
>>seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
>>rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in
>>particular!!)
>>can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?
>
> I'd spend the time getting some sleep in, if I'd been driving overnight.
> We're quite used to sleeping in the car, though.
>
> Unless your holiday is short, you'll probably make up for the lost hours
> of
> skiing on the Saturday later on; you'll have more energy. If you start
> tired,
> you may not recover.
>
> Adrian
> --
> Adrian Shaw ais@
> Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
> Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
> http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais uk

22 Jan 2005 15:57:57
John Owens

"John Ricketts" <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message
> I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
> expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9
or
> 10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
> seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
> rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in
particular!!)
> can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

I seem to recall that Chamonix has a public swimming pool. Quite a nice
place if my memory is working properly.

Good luck. The thought of near-empty slopes on a Saturday is attractive.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

22 Jan 2005 16:32:33
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

<snip >

> I seem to recall that Chamonix has a public swimming pool. Quite a nice
> place if my memory is working properly.

Hmmm....there's a thought...

22 Jan 2005 14:03:18
Sammy
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

I'm confused. Are you asking where to put your ski-kit on? What's
wrong with the carpark?

Sammy

22 Jan 2005 17:50:56
Richard Crapp
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

In article <qquId.194848$Z7.17609@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk >, John
Ricketts <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk > writes
>Hi Adrian,
>
>Trouble is, whilst I may feel a bit jaded after the trip, the rest of the
>family will be raring to go after a nights kip in the car! I've done
>over-nights before (but not skiing) and you get a second wind once you
>arrive! (but are totally knackered by the evening!)

Exactly my problem next Saturday when we arive in Val de Isere 11-12 am.
We are going to change in the Underground Car Park. Trying to organize
main ski clothes in to a separate small bag for a quick change.
Saturday is always a good day on the slopes and I wont be able to
weight till Sunday.
Anyone know, Can we get a half day Ski pass, what time doze it start?
--
Richard Crapp

23 Jan 2005 09:05:03
WeatherCam

"Sammy" <sam4808@btinternet.com > wrote in message
> I'm confused. Are you asking where to put your ski-kit on? What's
> wrong with the carpark?
>
> Sammy

Just identify a "nice" private family run Hotel ( eg Hotel Slalom - Les
Houches) , there''s loads of them in and around Chamonix, - explain your
situtaion, have a breakfast there, book for lunch etc and I'm sure they will
let you stow your gear - commn sense would have thought!!

Regards
WC

23 Jan 2005 14:00:38
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

You not married then ? ;-)

"Sammy" <sam4808@btinternet.com > wrote in message
> I'm confused. Are you asking where to put your ski-kit on? What's
> wrong with the carpark?
>
> Sammy

23 Jan 2005 13:54:02
Sammy

John Ricketts wrote:
> You not married then ? ;-)

OK, to be civilised: the sports centre/swiming pool is a good
suggestion, with lockers and showers, but I'm not sure it is open at
10am (more likely at midday).

I would suggest not rushing your family on to the slopes after a long
drive; take a leisurely breakfast en-route (at a nice hotel as already
suggested) and feign complete disinterest in skiing at all that day
yourself. Sooner or later someone in your family will suggest that
everyone kits up / freshens up - then it's just a matter of driving to
said carpark as if you were on a day trip. Make it seem like they are
dragging you onto the piste.

You do see a lot of day-trippers in disarray at the Grands Montets
carpark hopping into long-johns and salopettes, and noone else is
remotely interested. At Brevent there is a covered carpark. Have you
checked if there is any communal area to change in where you've booked?
Sammy

24 Jan 2005 12:38:23
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

Checked the pool....in the winter it doesnt open until 2pm so I guess the
best thing is to take breakfast en-route somewhere at a service stop and get
cleaned up and thermalled-up then use the multi-storey at Le Brevent.

> John Ricketts wrote:
>> You not married then ? ;-)
>
> OK, to be civilised: the sports centre/swiming pool is a good
> suggestion, with lockers and showers, but I'm not sure it is open at
> 10am (more likely at midday).
>
> I would suggest not rushing your family on to the slopes after a long
> drive; take a leisurely breakfast en-route (at a nice hotel as already
> suggested) and feign complete disinterest in skiing at all that day
> yourself. Sooner or later someone in your family will suggest that
> everyone kits up / freshens up - then it's just a matter of driving to
> said carpark as if you were on a day trip. Make it seem like they are
> dragging you onto the piste.
>
> You do see a lot of day-trippers in disarray at the Grands Montets
> carpark hopping into long-johns and salopettes, and noone else is
> remotely interested. At Brevent there is a covered carpark. Have you
> checked if there is any communal area to change in where you've booked?
> Sammy

24 Jan 2005 15:40:30
Ash
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

"John Ricketts" <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message

We flew to Geneva on the Friday night instead of the usual Saturday. Stayed
at an IBIS by the airport and got picked up at 10:00 on the Saturday. In the
resort by 1100. Ski hire and lift passes sorted within 30 minutes in the
apartment by 12:00, on the slopes by 13:00.

We got early access to the apartment through me contacting the English
owner, some months in advance of our plans. He kindly posted the apartment
keys so we could get in early. When we arrived at 11:00 the cleaners were
still in but they said they would phone me when it was ready, which they did
30 minutes later.

Reason for going on the Friday: the flights were cheaper, the hotel was only
22.00 each and we got an extra half days skiing.

Ash

PS. Resort by the way is Le Grand Bornand. Apartment right next to the ski
lift. Well recommended and only an hour from Geneva. We had a week of
excellent skiing, sunny every day, no winds and the slopes were pretty good
too.

01 Feb 2005 17:38:17
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

You could go to the swimming pool - and change there and have a shower - no
need to swim if you don't want to!

You could ask an hotel if you could have breakfast there and afterwards use
a room for long enough to change (or use their leisure centre facilities
changing area ) to change after breakfast It will maybe a rather strange
idea to them - so it might be better to have the breakfast and then ask to
change!

Or you could stop at the last motorway service station before Chamonix -
probably the best one would the first one after passing Geneva (not the very
last one as it's small) and you could change there - they may even have
shower and changing facilities - for truck drivers - some do.

"John Ricketts" <Dr_John_Ricketts@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message
> I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
> expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9
or
> 10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
> seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
> rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in
particular!!)
> can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?
>
> Last year, I managed to grab a 1/2 day on arrival but it was a case of
> getting changed in a public toilet.....less than ideal. Hence we didn't
> bother with the thermals and hit the top of Le Tour in a blizzard!
> (Bbbbrrrrrrrr.....can still feel it)!

01 Feb 2005 19:50:09
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

<snip >

> Or you could stop at the last motorway service station before Chamonix -
> probably the best one would the first one after passing Geneva (not the
> very
> last one as it's small) and you could change there - they may even have
> shower and changing facilities - for truck drivers - some do.

Thanks, already decided to do just that.... will pack all ski stuff
separately in roof box, and wash kits/thermals etc in carry bags.

Anyone got more info on the first service station past Geneva on the way to
Chamonix?

01 Feb 2005 14:15:58
Sammy

John Ricketts wrote:

> Anyone got more info on the first service station past Geneva on the
way to
> Chamonix?

Bonneville.

Sammy

02 Feb 2005 21:35:19
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

That helps a little.....decent food?

> John Ricketts wrote:
>
>> Anyone got more info on the first service station past Geneva on the
> way to
>> Chamonix?
>
> Bonneville.
>
> Sammy

03 Feb 2005 04:14:11
Sammy

John Ricketts wrote:
> That helps a little.....decent food?

Aire de Bonneville between Jn 16 and 17 on the autoroute blanche well
before you reach the toll at Cluses. Should do a breakfast, no comment
on quality.

Sammy

03 Feb 2005 12:36:38
John Ricketts
Re: Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

Cheers