21 Feb 2006 08:55:40
Ace
Avalanche risk warning

From another place, but of some interest in here.

Subject: A word of caution from Nigel Shepherd - Ski Club's Alpine
Safety Advisor regarding prevailing snow/resort conditions in Europe

Importance: High

START OF MESSAGE

"As many of you may know there is significant depth hoar in resorts
that have had a shallow snowpack and extremely cold temperatures this
last 8 weeks or so. New snow is falling heavily in many of these
places now and will very quickly bury the depth hoar.

The hazard caused by the depth hoar will remain for a long while at
least until there has been a significant rise in temperature. On
North facing slopes it may exist well into springtime.

Ski off piste with care and consideration for the hazard."

END OF MESSAGE


--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


21 Feb 2006 09:52:54
Champ
Re: Avalanche risk warning

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:55:40 +0100, Ace <seesig@virgin.net > wrote:

>From another place, but of some interest in here.
>
>Subject: A word of caution from Nigel Shepherd - Ski Club's Alpine
>Safety Advisor regarding prevailing snow/resort conditions in Europe
>
>Importance: High
>
>START OF MESSAGE
>
>"As many of you may know there is significant depth hoar in resorts
>that have had a shallow snowpack and extremely cold temperatures this
>last 8 weeks or so. New snow is falling heavily in many of these
>places now and will very quickly bury the depth hoar.
>
>The hazard caused by the depth hoar will remain for a long while at
>least until there has been a significant rise in temperature. On
>North facing slopes it may exist well into springtime.
>
>Ski off piste with care and consideration for the hazard."
>
>END OF MESSAGE

Bugger :-(
--
Champ


21 Feb 2006 10:58:21
Ace
Re: Avalanche risk warning

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:52:54 +0000, Champ <news@champ.org.uk > wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:55:40 +0100, Ace <seesig@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>From another place, but of some interest in here.
>>
>>Subject: A word of caution from Nigel Shepherd - Ski Club's Alpine
>>Safety Advisor regarding prevailing snow/resort conditions in Europe
>>
>>Importance: High
>>
>>START OF MESSAGE
>>
>>"As many of you may know there is significant depth hoar in resorts
>>that have had a shallow snowpack and extremely cold temperatures this
>>last 8 weeks or so. New snow is falling heavily in many of these
>>places now and will very quickly bury the depth hoar.
>>
>>The hazard caused by the depth hoar will remain for a long while at
>>least until there has been a significant rise in temperature. On
>>North facing slopes it may exist well into springtime.
>>
>>Ski off piste with care and consideration for the hazard."
>>
>>END OF MESSAGE
>
>Bugger :-(

Don't worry - Engelberg didn't have "shallow snowpack", so should be
relatively safe.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


21 Feb 2006 11:08:16
Florian Anwander
Re: Avalanche risk warning

Hi,

I did a backcountry tours each weekend the last two months and I can=20
confirm, that the situation is worse than it might look like. In Bavaria =

and in Tyrol the danger is not only on the typical NW to NE faces, but=20
in all directions.

Florian

Ace wrote:

> From another place, but of some interest in here.
>=20
> Subject: A word of caution from Nigel Shepherd - Ski Club's Alpine
> Safety Advisor regarding prevailing snow/resort conditions in Europe
>=20
> Importance: High
>=20
> START OF MESSAGE=20
>=20
> "As many of you may know there is significant depth hoar in resorts
> that have had a shallow snowpack and extremely cold temperatures this
> last 8 weeks or so. New snow is falling heavily in many of these
> places now and will very quickly bury the depth hoar.
>=20
> The hazard caused by the depth hoar will remain for a long while =96 at=

> least until there has been a significant rise in temperature. On
> North facing slopes it may exist well into springtime.
>=20
> Ski off piste with care and consideration for the hazard."=20
>=20
> END OF MESSAGE=20
>=20
>=20



21 Feb 2006 12:19:01
Norman
Re: Avalanche risk warning


"Ace" <seesig@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:sohlv1lqmgkth80donm1aghgmseh5vdobv@4ax.com...
> From another place, but of some interest in here.
>
> Subject: A word of caution from Nigel Shepherd - Ski Club's Alpine
> Safety Advisor regarding prevailing snow/resort conditions in Europe
>
> Importance: High
>
> START OF MESSAGE
>
> "As many of you may know there is significant depth hoar in resorts
> that have had a shallow snowpack and extremely cold temperatures this
> last 8 weeks or so. New snow is falling heavily in many of these
> places now and will very quickly bury the depth hoar.
>
> The hazard caused by the depth hoar will remain for a long while - at
> least until there has been a significant rise in temperature. On
> North facing slopes it may exist well into springtime.
>
> Ski off piste with care and consideration for the hazard."
>
> END OF MESSAGE


Is there a significant avalanche risk *on*-piste in St Anton? Should I be
kitting my kids out with those stick on transceivers you can buy in Snow +
Rock?

TIA.




21 Feb 2006 13:38:07
Ace
Re: Avalanche risk warning

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:19:01 GMT, "Norman" <Norman69@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>Is there a significant avalanche risk *on*-piste in St Anton?

I doubt it. Certainly if the local authorities thought so then they
wouldn't open said pistes.

>Should I be
>kitting my kids out with those stick on transceivers you can buy in Snow +
>Rock?

You mean the "Recco" transponders? Personally I wouldn't bother, but
if you do it's important to realise the differences between these and
the sort of transceivers, or 'beepers' that you'll see many people
wearing round their waists.

Basically, the Recco is a passive device that will respond to a signal
of the right type if it's within a certain range (not sure what it is,
but in the order of 100m sounds about right). The equipement for
generating such a signal and searching for a response is quite large
and not present in all resorts. So if you are buried in an avaalanche
it's unlikely that searchers with this kit will be on hand in the
crucial few minutes. It will make it easier to find your body, though.

Transceivers are active devices which, when switched onto 'send'
generate a signla at a particular frequency and broadcast it around
them. Consequentll, this signal can be picked up by a passive
receiver. Range claims vary, but are in the order of 50m. The crucial
point is that every one can both send and receive, so all the other
folks around who have them can start searching immediately in the
event of a slide. Still not guaranteed to pull you out alive, but a
much better chance.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.


21 Feb 2006 12:43:20
Norman
Re: Avalanche risk warning


"Ace" <seesig@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:jv1mv19ahqil6vn9aa1vsh30t7ov9qo0if@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:19:01 GMT, "Norman" <Norman69@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there a significant avalanche risk *on*-piste in St Anton?
>
> I doubt it. Certainly if the local authorities thought so then they
> wouldn't open said pistes.
>
>>Should I be
>>kitting my kids out with those stick on transceivers you can buy in Snow +
>>Rock?
>
> You mean the "Recco" transponders? Personally I wouldn't bother, but
> if you do it's important to realise the differences between these and
> the sort of transceivers, or 'beepers' that you'll see many people
> wearing round their waists.
>
> Basically, the Recco is a passive device that will respond to a signal
> of the right type if it's within a certain range (not sure what it is,
> but in the order of 100m sounds about right). The equipement for
> generating such a signal and searching for a response is quite large
> and not present in all resorts. So if you are buried in an avaalanche
> it's unlikely that searchers with this kit will be on hand in the
> crucial few minutes. It will make it easier to find your body, though.
>
> Transceivers are active devices which, when switched onto 'send'
> generate a signla at a particular frequency and broadcast it around
> them. Consequentll, this signal can be picked up by a passive
> receiver. Range claims vary, but are in the order of 50m. The crucial
> point is that every one can both send and receive, so all the other
> folks around who have them can start searching immediately in the
> event of a slide. Still not guaranteed to pull you out alive, but a
> much better chance.


Thanks Ace.






06 Mar 2006 12:47:31
Switters
Re: Avalanche risk warning

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:19:01 GMT, "Norman" <Norman69@hotmail.com >
allegedly wrote:

> Is there a significant avalanche risk *on*-piste in St Anton? Should I
> be kitting my kids out with those stick on transceivers you can buy in
> Snow + Rock?

On-piste will be different because people will have been sliding over the
snow for weeks, so hoar-frost will not have built up and been buried under
new snowfall.

However, any pisted run can be at risk from slopes above it. So that flat
nice safe track that runs at the bottom of a valley could very well be at
high risk if it's shadowed by a North facing slope that's seen nobody all
winter.

For St. Anton that mostly means that runs are OK, but sometimes the blue
Steisbachtal can be closed due to the overlooking slopes. At that point
you get redirected down a black, or alternatively you could take a drag
lift and then download on the gondola.

- Dave.

--
The only powder to get high on, falls from the sky.
http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail