05 Sep 2005 11:22:29
davidfrench27
April skiing in Europe

Well, it's that time of year again to put away the speedos and star
thinking about hitting the slopes!

I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due t
my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to variou
corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until th
first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - i
you're lucky if the weather!

Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resort
that will have decent snow at that time of year.

Cheers!

--
davidfrench27

05 Sep 2005 23:05:25
John Elgy
Re: April skiing in Europe

davidfrench27 wrote:
> Well, it's that time of year again to put away the speedos and start
> thinking about hitting the slopes!
>
> I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due to
> my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to various
> corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until the
> first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - if
> you're lucky if the weather!
>
> Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resorts
> that will have decent snow at that time of year.
>
> Cheers!!

The answer is simple - go high and if possible avoid any south facing
slopes. Finding resorts where you can follow the sun around the mountain
is also a good idea. That is; east facing slopes first thing in the
morning and west facing in the afternoon so if it has frozen overnight
you are just catching the softening snow. Be prepared to take the lift
down from the half way station if the conditions are poor and accept
that you may not have the whole resort to play in.

We have had good skiing during Easter almost every year for the last 12
years or so, even managing to ski down to 1300m on a number of
occaisions. In many years the skiing was better in April than January.
Particularly good resorts we have visited in April include: Zermat (up
to April 24th), Val D'Isere, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Courchevel (though the
Meribel valley needed careful negotiation and getting back to 1600 meant
a sea of slush from the Verdon), and Verbier. In North America, Whistler
was good, but the lift queues huge (possibly due to something called
'spring break'). Morzine and Banff were not so good, but skiing was
possible after bus rides (very long in the case of Banff).

Having said that, past performance is not neccessarily a perfect
prediction of the future. And what are my plans for April this year?
Well I have booked a fortnight in Les Arcs.

John

06 Sep 2005 11:07:31
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: April skiing in Europe

Felly sgrifennodd John Elgy <news_account@elgy-anti-spam-.org.uk >:
>The answer is simple - go high and if possible avoid any south facing
>slopes.

Alternative answer - book at the last minute, with an eye on the weather
forecast. Early April 2004 was great in Scotland for example.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

06 Sep 2005 14:12:44
davidof
Re: April skiing in Europe

John Elgy wrote:
> Morzine and Banff were not so good, but skiing was
> possible after bus rides

yes the links between these resorts are not good in April - must have
been long bus rides though.

06 Sep 2005 17:20:31
John Elgy
Re: April skiing in Europe

davidof wrote:
> John Elgy wrote:
>
>> Morzine and Banff were not so good, but skiing was possible after bus
>> rides
>

> yes the links between these resorts are not good in April - must have
> been long bus rides though.

It was a long bus ride, but luckily the bus did have a toilet. You are
right, ever since the last ice age ended the links have been poor in April.

07 Sep 2005 20:02:11
Adrian Tupper
Re: April skiing in Europe

ais@aber.ac.uk (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote in news:dfjpp3$10lm$1
@central.aber.ac.uk:

> Felly sgrifennodd John Elgy <news_account@elgy-anti-spam-.org.uk>:
>>The answer is simple - go high and if possible avoid any south facing
>>slopes.
>
> Alternative answer - book at the last minute, with an eye on the weather
> forecast. Early April 2004 was great in Scotland for example.
>
> Adrian

Shame about Dec-mid March though.

--
Adrian

18 Sep 2005 18:23:16
Lars
Re: April skiing in Europe

davidfrench27 schreef:
> Well, it's that time of year again to put away the speedos and start
> thinking about hitting the slopes!
>
> I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due to
> my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to various
> corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until the
> first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - if
> you're lucky if the weather!
>
> Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resorts
> that will have decent snow at that time of year.
>
> Cheers!!

If Austria head for:

St Anton am Arlberg (open till may)
Ischgl (open till may)

Or alternatively if it suits you better:

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl

19 Sep 2005 09:59:36
Ace
Re: April skiing in Europe

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:22:29 +0100, davidfrench27
<davidfrench27.1uw8g3@skibanter.com > wrote:

>I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due to
>my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to various
>corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until the
>first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - if
>you're lucky if the weather!
>
>Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resorts
>that will have decent snow at that time of year.

Just noticed that no-one's mentioned Flaine/Grand Massif yet. Despite
not being one of the higher resorts, with a max of 2600m, it has a
consistently excellent late snow record. I've skiied there in April
for the last five or six years and have always had some opportunity
for making fresh tracks.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Marco Cattaneo
Re: April skiing in Europe

"Ace" <no.valid@virgin.net > wrote in message

> Just noticed that no-one's mentioned Flaine/Grand Massif yet.

I was going to, but thought I'd leave it to you ;-) - Yes, Flaine bowl has
the best and most reliable April snow in the Haute Savoie, with the obvious
exception of Grands Montets.

A downside can be the runs down to resort level at 1600m, which can be
pretty rocky (in both senses of the word) though snow cannons have improved
things in recent years. Also, note that I am talking about Flaine, and
Flaine only - don't expect good snow in the other (lower) parts of Grand
Massif, with the possible exception of Les Carroz after a good dump.

--
m.a.r.c.o...c.a.t.t.a.n.e.o@f.r.e.e.s.b.e.e...f.r

19 Sep 2005 14:19:47
Ace
Re: April skiing in Europe

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:12:10 +0200, "Marco Cattaneo"
<seeMySig@VoirMonSig.fr > wrote:

>"Ace" <no.valid@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>> Just noticed that no-one's mentioned Flaine/Grand Massif yet.
>
>I was going to, but thought I'd leave it to you ;-) - Yes, Flaine bowl has
>the best and most reliable April snow in the Haute Savoie, with the obvious
>exception of Grands Montets.
>
>A downside can be the runs down to resort level at 1600m, which can be
>pretty rocky (in both senses of the word) though snow cannons have improved
>things in recent years.

Agreed, on both counts. They've also varied some of the routes home,
notably widening some of the corners on Tourmaline.

>Also, note that I am talking about Flaine, and
>Flaine only - don't expect good snow in the other (lower) parts of Grand
>Massif, with the possible exception of Les Carroz after a good dump.

Morillon is often good all the way down to 1100m. Snow-canonned all
the way down and north-facing, it's often good when other areas are
not. I've even been lucky enough to find fresh snow there on a couple
of occasions when the cloud level was below 1600m, so nothing fell in
the Flaine bowl.

--

davidfrench27 schreef:
> Well, it's that time of year again to put away the speedos and start
> thinking about hitting the slopes!
>
> I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due to
> my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to various
> corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until the
> first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - if
> you're lucky if the weather!
>
> Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resorts
> that will have decent snow at that time of year.
>
> Cheers!!

If Austria head for:

St Anton am Arlberg (open till may)
Ischgl (open till may)

Or alternatively if it suits you better:

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl

20 Sep 2005 01:42:14
Memascii
Re: April skiing in Europe

Ace wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:12:10 +0200, "Marco Cattaneo"
> <seeMySig@VoirMonSig.fr> wrote:
> >Also, note that I am talking about Flaine, and
> >Flaine only - don't expect good snow in the other (lower) parts of Grand
> >Massif, with the possible exception of Les Carroz after a good dump.
>
> Morillon is often good all the way down to 1100m. Snow-canonned all
> the way down and north-facing, it's often good when other areas are
> not. I've even been lucky enough to find fresh snow there on a couple
> of occasions when the cloud level was below 1600m, so nothing fell in
> the Flaine bowl.

If you're staying in Samoens/Morillon when there's little snow
at that level, is it possible/easy to get up to the runs in
Flaine? I know what it looks like on the map, but I've never
been there so not sure how accurate this is.

Also, I read in my (four year old) ski guide, that Flaine had
been bought (by Intrawest?) and was possibly due for expansion?
Are there any signs of this, and if so what sort of expansion
is it, more accomodation, or additional lifts/runs. Maybe just
speculation.

Cheers.
Iain.

20 Sep 2005 12:38:17
Ace
Re: April skiing in Europe

On 20 Sep 2005 01:42:14 -0700, "Memascii" <jbmemascii@yahoo.co.uk >
wrote:

>Ace wrote:

>> Morillon is often good all the way down to 1100m. Snow-canonned all
>> the way down and north-facing, it's often good when other areas are
>> not. I've even been lucky enough to find fresh snow there on a couple
>> of occasions when the cloud level was below 1600m, so nothing fell in
>> the Flaine bowl.
>
>If you're staying in Samoens/Morillon when there's little snow
>at that level, is it possible/easy to get up to the runs in
>Flaine? I know what it looks like on the map, but I've never
>been there so not sure how accurate this is.

Samoens has a new cable car up to 1600m. Morillon has a bubble from
the village and then two chair lifts from 1100m over the
aforementioned snow-cannoned run, which is nearly always kept open
well into April. Both of these link you straight into the rest of the
system, such that most people could easily get to Flaine and back in a
morning.

>Also, I read in my (four year old) ski guide, that Flaine had
>been bought (by Intrawest?) and was possibly due for expansion?
>Are there any signs of this, and if so what sort of expansion
>is it, more accomodation, or additional lifts/runs. Maybe just
>speculation.

There has been a fair amount of investment in the whole area during
the last few years, with ownership now resting with MMV (the whole
group changed hands, or names, a couple of times). First (before 1999)
the dog-leg drag lift from Vernant was replaced with two six-man
chairs, allowing quick access from the GM into the Flaine bowl, then a
new eight-man chair (first in the alps) from Flaine to the Grand Vans
(i.e. the other direction) was opened in 2001 (I think). Last year the
telecabine from Samoens was upgraded to allow much faster/better
access to the ski area, and a few of the other lifts have been
upgraded over this period as well.

Some of the mountain restaurants have been extended/rebuilt and there
are currently plans in place for a new hotel in Flaine proper. No idea
if any work's been started on this yet.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

John Owens
Re: April skiing in Europe

"Lars" <lars@geenmail.ch > wrote in message
> davidfrench27 schreef:
> > Well, it's that time of year again to put away the speedos and start
> > thinking about hitting the slopes!
> >
> > I have always been skiing in the past in early March. However, due to
> > my regular bunch of skiing buddies going off travelling to various
> > corners of the planet our trip next year is now not happening until the
> > first week of April. Many people have said spring skiing is awesome - if
> > you're lucky if the weather!
> >
> > Just wondering what recommendations people out there have for resorts
> > that will have decent snow at that time of year.
> >
> > Cheers!!

Pyrenes 2000 was quite good in April 2005

John

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk