18 Nov 2004 06:37:21
richard k
Advice about Kandersteg over the New Year

Hi - I'm off with some friends to Kandersteg, Switzerland just after
New Year(friend of a friend's chalet, so a great price and hard to say
no!). Unfortunately two of the party are beginners, and two of us more
experienced. Kandersteg looks great for the beginners but not so much
cop for the other two!

Any thoughts or recommendations? Should we:
* Take it easy and just enjoy the scenery
* Learn to do cross-country
* Get the bus/train to other resorts nearby for a couple of days (if
so - which ones are good?).

Thanks for any ideas and advice!
Richard

18 Nov 2004 17:58:46
Ace
Re: Advice about Kandersteg over the New Year

On 18 Nov 2004 06:37:21 -0800, richard@npsl.co.uk (richard k) wrote:

>Kandersteg looks great for the beginners but not so much
>cop for the other two!
>
>Any thoughts or recommendations? Should we:
>* Take it easy and just enjoy the scenery
>* Learn to do cross-country
>* Get the bus/train to other resorts nearby for a couple of days (if
>so - which ones are good?).

The latter option is both good and easy. Trains run through the tunnel
and will take you to Zermatt (via visp) on trains all the way and
Saas Fee, Crans-Montanaand several smaller resorts accessible by Post
Bus.

I've not done this myself, but would reckon you could get to many of
these in just over an hour.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)